Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the guys saying this is good for EJ's development. Going from first year starter to thrid season 3rd string is not good for ones development. Lets not kid ourselves and quit trying to paint this as a rosey picture for EJ. Hes stuck in an organization that does not value him. 3rd string QB is alot closer to out of the NFL than it is to starter.

How is this good for his development? If Tyrod gets us 7-9 this year then there will be a brand new competition next training camp? What would he have to do then to win the job? Throw 9 touchdowns? Give Rex foot rubs? Seriously, EJ has one foot out the door here at this point, lets quit pretending this move, resingning Cassel is anything but that. An effort to move on from EJ Manuel.

Hell, he couldnt beat out those two scrubs, i sure as **** am moving on from him.

EJ is improving though. I'm not used to being the guy advocating for him, but if he's cheap, why not keep him and hope he Alex Smith's somehow.

Let's hope no Bills' fan is rooting for this.

No doubt. And I think you give ANY QB (and particularly any younger QB with limited experience) a bit of time before you start going off. For this crew? I think TT's got about a quarter---maybe a half.

No doubt. And I think you give ANY QB (and particularly any younger QB with limited experience) a bit of time before you start going off. For this crew? I think TT's got about a quarter---maybe a half.

I for one hope the Bills' brass exercises patience with Tyrod. I think the coaching staff is smart enough to do that.

As long as the offense scores 28 pts a game, hes good in my book

I for one hope the Bills' brass exercises patience with Tyrod. I think the coaching staff is smart enough to do that.

I was talking about the fans---and specifically the fans on this board.

Just when you think you have things figured out... I've no problem with them resigning MC, but naming him backup? seriously? I hope we never need him to play - or that they somehow played possum with him in the preseason and he's really something special in a turd suit...

Not a fan of this move. (I guess I'm an EJ apologist, I just don't see how MC is on this roster as #2 based on his performances).

I think tie- rod will be lights out game one. Colts do not have the history I don't think to know his tendency's ( or coaching) in game 1. Now the Hoody**

In game two is most likely reviewing his pop'warner tape already.

Man, he is done here, how motivated could he be in any capacity at all with this group of coaches, and head office in general. What did he say today? I love Buffalo? Thats a load of crap he must hate it here. Id be MF'in these guys up and down if i were him.

Quarterbacking is alot about confidence, thia is a massive blow to anyones confidence. EJ is no different than Tannehil, just that the 'Phins just put him in and let him play. We, here in Buffalo, gotta try and get fancy with him.Gotta play gamea with him, screw that, its no way to treat the only first round pick QB the organization has ever picked. This is on management. This failed experiment.

Thats all i got, sorry if its too negative for ya'll

I'm starting to think the insiders here are correct in what they hear in regards to EJ, and that is there are people in the Bill FO that really don't like him at all. And that is after he had a stellar pre season play, and that is at both backup and starter. All the kid did was find the end zone with TD passes.

Now after re watching his play in that Pittsburgh game in which the coaches kept putting EJ back in the game again, and again to see him finally have a bad pass / series on 4th down. To Rex's credit he didn't end EJ's play with that bad pass and put him in again to at least complete another pass before they put in Simms. Rex slapped EJ's hand on the sideline after pulling him thus giving me the impression that probably the only reason EJ is still with the team is because of Ryan.

This pre season EJ went 20 of 30 for 358 yards. 4 TD's no INT's with a percentage of 66.7%, and a passer rating of 146.9. This puts him in the company of Brees, Stafford, Bradford, and Matt Ryan. Be sure to think of this should the Bills offense falter, and fail to keep up with the Colts (Luck), Patriots (Brady) in those first two games.

While what you say is true, I have to agree more with Dean in that everything I've read is back up QB's get about six snaps all week with the 1st string. So based on six snaps each week, I'll take my chances on Cassel over EJ in that situation.

I do think EJ looked much stronger than Cassel in the pre-season, but if you rate all three QB's as far as the basic tools go, EJ likely would come out on top as far as size, arm strength etc. In pre-season with limited blitzing and game planning the guy with the best tools may look the best. EJ, as most QB's looks best when no pressure, but in prior years gets rattled easily. Conversely I'm not completely sure that they didn't deliberately sandbag Cassell reps and just have him do nothing by 5 yard check downs though admittedly that is somewhat his MO. But again pre-season might be deceiving.

not to be argumentative Dean, but relieving Taylor with Cassel allows the D to open up their blitz packages because Cassel isn't a threat to out run anyone to the edge.. and with those packages come coverages that will compress the field - the idea being that the ball will come out before deeper routes can complete. everything is coordinated to defend what the offense can threaten you with. is there some major flaw in Manuel's game that makes him a risk? because all i've seen makes him the more difficult QB to defend.