Sooooo....3rd string QB?

Virgil

Simms is not eligible for the Bills PS.

It was thought that one of those spots could go to quarterback Matt Simms, who was released Friday. As it stands now, however, that won’t be possible. NFL rules state that a team can’t have more than two players on the practice squad who have spent at least nine games on an active roster is a previous season. Richardson appeared in 12 games last season for the Bills, while Reddick played in 16 games as a rookie in 2013 with New Orleans.

If Taylor or EJ get injured the Bills could sign a QB from another teams PS to the 53 roster here.

Edited by ALF

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of teams don't carry a 3rd QB on the 53 man roster?

for those in the dark ... it is close enough to say 50% carry only 2 QB's (heard it on the radio the other day)

well I guess I should have read page 2 first before I posted ...

No 3rd QB but 5 TEs? Why?

who doesn't like a tight end?

Simms is not eligible for the Bills PS.

If Taylor or EJ get injured the Bills could sign a QB from another teams PS to the 53 roster here.

Well, he was, until he signed to Atlanta's PS. I figured he would sign with the Bills---that he didn't is a bit of a surprise to me. Not offered a PS spot?

Any QB the Bills sign needs to be PS eligible, IMO, as that is where they need him to be. The one possible exception I could think of, is if Cassel comes back to the roster, at cents-on-the-dollar to his original contract.

I might be fine with the Bills keeping just 2 QBs, except:

1) Tyrod seems to like to scramble

2) Manuel doesn't look like he can take a hit well, especially for someone his size

3) they have little NFL experience between them

4) there isn't anyone waiting on the PS

Any injury to either QB will mean we need to quickly acquire and jump the QB up to speed.

If Marquise Gray (or someone else on the roster) is the 3rd QB and they are giving him some snaps at QB intermittently, and he's doing okay, then I feel a lot better.

Not Ponder. I watched him attempt to play quarterback in Oakland in the PS and his days are numbered. He was like our Trentative for Minny. Teased a few decent games, but never really developed into a NFL qb.

I hate saying it, but if one of EJ or Tyrod go down, Cassell is the best option. Whether he would come back after being cut, I don't know.

Well, he was, until he signed to Atlanta's PS. I figured he would sign with the Bills---that he didn't is a bit of a surprise to me. Not offered a PS spot?

Any QB the Bills sign needs to be PS eligible, IMO, as that is where they need him to be. The one possible exception I could think of, is if Cassel comes back to the roster, at cents-on-the-dollar to his original contract.

My guess is he still wants a shot to be a #2.

Maybe Atlanta whispered in his ear? But maybe rex said, we have no use for you.

The Cassel angle is something to watch still

Edited by 3rdand12

It was thought that one of those spots could go to quarterback Matt Simms, who was released Friday. As it stands now, however, that won’t be possible. NFL rules state that a team can’t have more than two players on the practice squad who have spent at least nine games on an active roster is a previous season. Richardson appeared in 12 games last season for the Bills, while Reddick played in 16 games as a rookie in 2013 with New Orleans.

Not Ponder. I watched him attempt to play quarterback in Oakland in the PS and his days are numbered. He was like our Trentative for Minny. Teased a few decent games, but never really developed into a NFL qb.

I hate saying it, but if one of EJ or Tyrod go down, Cassell is the best option. Whether he would come back after being cut, I don't know.

If he has no other options ?

like they say , too often i might add, its a business.

My guess is he still wants a shot to be a #2.

Maybe Atlanta whispered in his ear? But maybe rex said, we have no use for you.

The Cassel angle is something to watch still

I believe it was likely exactly like that. Like I said, I was surprised he didn't sign with the Bills as he seems to have a connection with Rex. But I'm not shocked and I get the reasons he might pick another team.

As it turns out, we get the trick shot QB on the PS.

Announcer: "With Taylor and Manuel both out with injuries here in the 3rd quarter, it looks like Alex Tanney will enter the game."

Analyst: "They've lined up in an interesting formation, Marv. Watkins is out of the game, and there is a garbage can wearing the number 83 mounted on a remote-controlled scooter. This should be interesting."

Announcer: "With Taylor and Manuel both out with injuries here in the 3rd quarter, it looks like Alex Tanney will enter the game."

Analyst: "They've lined up in an interesting formation, Marv. Watkins is out of the game, and there is a garbage can wearing the number 83 mounted on a remote-controlled scooter. This should be interesting."

:lol: