The Rex Blueprints: inside the mind of a defensive genius

YoloinOhio

Good read by Carucci

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/05/the-rex-blueprints-how-the-bills-coach-throws-everything-at-opponents/

Giant bookshelves consume most of the space on two walls of Rex Ryans office at One Bills Drive. Theyre filled with binders containing defensive game plans from his two previous NFL stops. On one set of shelves, you see rows and rows of green and white. Those are from the past six seasons Ryan served as coach of the New York Jets. On the other, its all purple and black, from his four years as defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens.

Really good insight as to why he blitzes so much in the preseason.

And how he is showing single coverage with Darby as a bluff compared to what's to come.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just so excited.

I know there are some Rex skeptics around here and I get it.

But putting aside the brashness and the silliness -

The man believes in pressure defenses. He's going to make Tom Brady uncomfortable. He's going to walk up to the bully in the schoolyard and hit him in the mouth. If that results in an ass-kicking, so be it - at least we went down fighting.

I've been so thirsty for this type of mentality and defense. I'm beyond excited. We're never going to sit back and just take it against the Patriots and THAT ALONE has me looking forward to watching football again. SO MANY TIMES the past ten years, the Patriots have come up here and made it look like a goddamn practice. I'm done with that sh-.

Now let's go eat a mother- snack.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Yeah, I would love to see him show Darby by himself and then have Luck throw twice with a DB jumping routes in Darby's area. Get Rambo on the field!

agree. He's all about getting stuff on film that they will never do. Luck can't use his defensive film from last year with the Jets either because he ran so much zone. Edited by YoloinOhio

Until his D is better than the Schwartz's I 'll see it when I believe it

haha yes it will be tough to do better than calling single coverage on Gronk with Duke Williams.

Kidding aside Schwartz had some great game plans. Unfortunately his best were against the NFC opponents.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm just so excited.

The man believes in pressure defenses. He's going to make Tom Brady uncomfortable. He's going to walk up to the bully in the schoolyard and hit him in the mouth. If that results in an ass-kicking, so be it - at least we went down fighting.

I've been so thirsty for this type of mentality and defense. I'm beyond excited. We're never going to sit back and just take it against the Patriots and THAT ALONE has me looking forward to watching football again. SO MANY TIMES the past ten years, the Patriots have come up here and made it look like a goddamn practice. I'm done with that sh-.

Ha I just about pissed myself! Nice post love it !!!!

Good read by Carucci

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/05/the-rex-blueprints-how-the-bills-coach-throws-everything-at-opponents/

Really good insight as to why he blitzes so much in the preseason.

And how he is showing single coverage with Darby as a bluff compared to what's to come.

I don't think there is any question that these are the best combination of offensive and defensive coaching staffs the Bills have ever had.

The question with Rex isn't his defensive acumen it is overall team management.

His ship got messy the last few years in NYJ.

We saw a little of this same "players coach" issue with Wade Phillips years ago.

There is a line between giving the players the love and space they want and maxing out their performance.

Already I've been a bit concerned about the return of all the "soft tissue" injuries that vanished under Marrone.

That is an issue that seems to follow players coaches everywhere.

Wade always had about 6 pulled groins on his injury report.

Gotta be diligent with these guys about the fine details of preparation. :thumbsup:

I don't think there is any question that these are the best combination of offensive and defensive coaching staffs the Bills have ever had.

The question with Rex isn't his defensive acumen it is overall team management.

His ship got messy the last few years in NYJ.

We saw a little of this same "players coach" issue with Wade Phillips years ago.

There is a line between giving the players the love and space they want and maxing out their performance.

Already I've been a bit concerned about the return of all the "soft tissue" injuries that vanished under Marrone.

That is an issue that seems to follow players coaches everywhere.

Wade always had about 6 pulled groins on his injury report.

Gotta be diligent with these guys about the fine details of preparation. :thumbsup:

isnt it more tied to the strength and conditioning coach?

Marrone had many a groin issue on the team while he was here

isnt it more tied to the strength and conditioning coach?

Marrone had many a groin issue on the team while he was here

It's the culture.

People give players far too much credit for the work they put in for maintenance.

I've told this story before but during the SB run my sister in law was good friends with a starting player on the team and his wife and after beating the Raiders in the divisional round we all got together at his place to hang out.

This player had injured his ankle and it was swollen like a football and this is like 4-5 hours after the game and he hasn't put any ice on it yet. So I asked him if maybe he should ice that......and his response was "if my wife gets me an ice pack". :lol:

A championship game to play in 7 days but.....if I didn't say anything I guarantee the dude doesn't ice that sh*t until the next day.

These are young men and this is all happening in real time for them. They aren't living in the anxiety wrenched, big picture world of the fan. They NEED guidance and to be pushed to take care of themselves.

Sometimes that is as simple as demanding that players get in early and......STRETCH.......as simple as that may sound that is often the most tedious and uncomfortable part of training.

Marrone's team were remarkably healthy compared to the Gailey and Jauron teams before him. That was not a mistake.

It's the culture.

People give players far too much credit for the work they put in for maintenance.

I've told this story before but during the SB run my sister in law was good friends with a starting player on the team and his wife and after beating the Raiders in the divisional round we all got together at his place to hang out.

This player had injured his ankle and it was swollen like a football and this is like 4-5 hours after the game and he hasn't put any ice on it yet. So I asked him if maybe he should ice that......and his response was "if my wife gets me an ice pack". :lol:

A championship game to play in 7 days but.....if I didn't say anything I guarantee the dude doesn't ice that sh*t until the next day.

These are young men and this is all happening in real time for them. They aren't living in the anxiety wrenched, big picture world of the fan. They NEED guidance and to be pushed to take care of themselves.

Sometimes that is as simple as demanding that players get in early and......STRETCH.......as simple as that may sound that is often the most tedious and uncomfortable part of training.

Marrone's team were remarkably healthy compared to the Gailey and Jauron teams before him. That was not a mistake.

perhaps, but I don't understand the pessimism or assumption that Rex's team will not be as healthy. The jets were the 3rd healthiest team last year, and overall healthiest team in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/34459/study-jets-healthiest-team-in-nfl

I'm just so excited.

Rex was 4-8 agaisnt NE, including 1-7 his last 4 years with the the Jets...

haha yes it will be tough to do better than calling single coverage on Gronk with Duke Williams.

Kidding aside Schwartz had some great game plans. Unfortunately his best were against the NFL opponents.

Aren't they all NFL opponents?

Just kidding, Yolo. i know what you meant.

perhaps, but I don't understand the pessimism or assumption that Rex's team will not be as healthy. The jets were the 3rd healthiest team last year, and overall healthiest team in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/34459/study-jets-healthiest-team-in-nfl

I did not know that and thanks for telling me.

My concern is generally about the criticism he received for a lack of accountability within his team.

Our experience here is that criticism of the departing coach is usually accurate and warranted.

But I will also add that I think a lot of that has been addressed by hiring Roman to run the offense.

Roman is a details guy.

I am very excited about the potential of the team this year.

I am not thinking just playoffs.

The NFL doesn't work that way......you don't always get to take baby steps......especially when you don't have an elite QB.

I'm just so excited.

To be truthful, I like Schwartz D style better - the consistent defensive master. I thought Albert H's "letter to my younger self" comments on Schwartz as a defensive genius were very telling. Rex's gambling instincts that will give up the 30 yd gain IMHO take an all-world D (especially an all world secondary) to execute properly. We'll see if he's learned something and can adjust this year, right now his 4-8 record against the Pats*** makes me sad. If we're 0-2 against the Pats*** or better than last year overall (eg better than top 5 D) I will most definitely come on this board and eat a mighty helping of this:

1240605367-eating-crow.jpg

As long as we win, I'm all for it. And if we don't win, at least make freaking adjustments at halftime if something isn't working,

Edited by Hopeful