SB nation: Why NFL DBs are sitting ducks

YoloinOhio

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/2/9248615/as-the-nfl-opens-up-the-air-dbs-are-sitting-ducks

Last year, the NFL Competition Committee enacted stricter enforcement of rules protecting wide receivers. The game might never be the same.

"Has it ever been tougher to play defensive back in the NFL?"

That question, posited by Kevin Harlan last year during Week 14's matchup between the Bills and Broncos, followed this play, an "illegal contact" infraction by Nickell Robey on Wes Welker in the end zone. Instead of a big-time stop on third-and-7, this became an automatic first down for the Broncos, who would find the end zone two plays later. They went on to win by 7

Ticky tack call against Robey- and one of a few horrible calls that gave the game to Denver. We went to Mile High and outplayed Denver, But the refs were the factor. If I recall right, there were two big interception returns(Graham was one) that were brought back on phantom calls. The networks never showed what the penalty was. But both brought back huge gains. Bad memories that Denver game

they need to let them play. these calls where they barely touched the guy are annoying and slow down the pace of the game. a team like ours with a great front 7 and mediocre secondary will be unfairly vulnerable vs a team like the Colts. they can just throw the ball up in the air vs Darby and it's either a catch or a penalty. it happened a few times vs Pitt and it was super annoying

they need to let them play. these calls where they barely touched the guy are annoying and slow down the pace of the game. a team like ours with a great front 7 and mediocre secondary will be unfairly vulnerable vs a team like the Colts. they can just throw the ball up in the air vs Darby and it's either a catch or a penalty. it happened a few times vs Pitt and it was super annoying

it is already apparent that Darby is never going to get the benefit of the doubt.

I haven't read it, but I'm of the general opinion that the stricter contact rules are ruining the game. Obviously I'll still watch, but it's infuriating. I'm convinced a team could win a game by throwing deep routes on every offensive possession (not including 4th down). The amount of PI calls would be insane.

I haven't read it, but I'm of the general opinion that the stricter contact rules are ruining the game. Obviously I'll still watch, but it's infuriating. I'm convinced a team could win a game by throwing deep routes on every offensive possession (not including 4th down). The amount of PI calls would be insane.

They don't even have to throw deep routes accurately because half the time the refs forget it needs to be a catchable ball.

They don't even have to throw deep routes accurately because half the time the refs forget it needs to be a catchable ball.

Actually, now they don't really have to be able make play on the ball, I am so mad about that damned Denver game as well. Grrrrr

This point about the NFL favoring receivers so heavily is all the more reason that you should throw deep often.

How bad does it suck when the Bills are beating a team physically, only to have the opponent take a shot deep and get a big play off a friggin PI call? You see it in a lot of games across the NFL.