NFL.com: Ceiling and Floor for each AFC Team

26CornerBlitz

I honestly think the bills ceiling is 13-3 and the Super Bowl. I honestly believe that. I wanna say their floor is 8-8. But the Bills definitely have that "I'll believe it when I see it" stigma attached to them- which they should. IF Tyrod Taylor can even be Russell Wilson lite, which I think he can be, AND they stay healthy, there's absolutely no reason the Bills can't be a legitimate Super Bowl contender this season.

I'm with you!

Elliott Harrison is very knowledgeable, but I think he is off the mark here. Making too much out of McCoy's injury and saying the best case scenario has Sammy over 1000 yards and the #1 or #2 defense gives us 10 wins is silly. Once Tyrod tears up the first few games, it'll be pretty clear.

Edited by Big C

The national media is clueless about Buffalo. They thought the 9-7 record was us getting lucky. They have no idea how horrible the play calling, offensive coaching, and guard play was last year. The Bills have upgraded the offense big time. Because of injuries we could go 8-8.

I see 8-8 as the floor and 12-4 as the ceiling.

Maybe I'm just blinded by science homerism, but I see the ceiling as something like 14-2 in a miracle season, and more like 12-4 in a realistic best-case scenario. Dick Jauron's Bears went 13-3 one year, thanks largely to luck. This Bills team is better than that team IMO. And it's very feasible that Tyrod (or even EJ if Tyrod gets hurt or falters) provides better QB play than the Bears' QBs (mostly Jim Miller) did:

59.7%, 3,072 yds, 20 TDs, 16 INTs, 5.8 Y/A, 5.2 adjusted Y/A. (To be honest, I thought those numbers would be way better before I looked them up just now. 5.8 yards per attempt is terrible.)

But, to be fair, probably any NFL team could go 13-3 with a historically lucky season. What about a more realistic best-case prediction, where the Bills are only medium lucky - i.e., no losses due to bad calls, no or few major injuries, etc.? I still say we could hit 12-4. That relies on Taylor stepping up and being at least league average, maybe a notch better. We can debate all day how likely that is, but in my mind, there's at least a realistic chance of it. There's also a realistic scenario where he falls flat on his face, or gets hurt then EJ falls flat on his face, so the 6-10 seems about right as the floor. I think that would also take some injuries on the defensive side, but that's not very far-fetched.

The national media is clueless about Buffalo. They thought the 9-7 record was us getting lucky. They have no idea how horrible the play calling, offensive coaching, and guard play was last year. The Bills have upgraded the offense big time. Because of injuries we could go 8-8.

I see 8-8 as the floor and 12-4 as the ceiling.

Well, getting to play against backups in Week 17 counts as lucky... we were really 8-7 with a bye last year.

Well, getting to play against backups in Week 17 counts as lucky... we were really 8-7 with a bye last year.

i love how this is the excuse on why we won last year. even with orton in we were handling that game start to finish.

if ej would have won i think we'd have blown them away.

Maybe I'm just blinded by science homerism, but I see the ceiling as something like 14-2 in a miracle season, and more like 12-4 in a realistic best-case scenario. Dick Jauron's Bears went 13-3 one year, thanks largely to luck. This Bills team is better than that team IMO. And it's very feasible that Tyrod (or even EJ if Tyrod gets hurt or falters) provides better QB play than the Bears' QBs (mostly Jim Miller) did:

59.7%, 3,072 yds, 20 TDs, 16 INTs, 5.8 Y/A, 5.2 adjusted Y/A. (To be honest, I thought those numbers would be way better before I looked them up just now. 5.8 yards per attempt is terrible.)

But, to be fair, probably any NFL team could go 13-3 with a historically lucky season. What about a more realistic best-case prediction, where the Bills are only medium lucky - i.e., no losses due to bad calls, no or few major injuries, etc.? I still say we could hit 12-4. That relies on Taylor stepping up and being at least league average, maybe a notch better. We can debate all day how likely that is, but in my mind, there's at least a realistic chance of it. There's also a realistic scenario where he falls flat on his face, or gets hurt then EJ falls flat on his face, so the 6-10 seems about right as the floor. I think that would also take some injuries on the defensive side, but that's not very far-fetched.

I just can't see 12-4. "It's hard to win in the NFL" haha. All kidding aside, it is hard to win in the NFL and especially when you don't have a solid, consistent QB. The best record in the NFL last season was 12-4. IMO our schedule was slightly easier than it appears to be this year though it's sometimes hard to predict how some teams will do from year to year based on injuries. I think an upside of 10-6 and a downside of 6-10 is very fare.

Edited by bobobonators

I don't see why it's impossible to reach 11-5. Ceiling implies that everything goes well and you stay healthy. Why couldn't that be 11-5? Conversely, if everything went wrong for the Pats, they could fare worse than 9-7.

This kind of stuff is just fluff to give football-starved fans something to read. It's the equivalent of a Golf Digest sitting by the toilet at a repair shop.

Toilet yes but closer to stuff written on toilet wall.

I just can't see 12-4. "It's hard to win in the NFL" haha. All kidding aside, it is hard to win in the NFL and especially when you don't have a solid, consistent QB. The best record in the NFL last season was 12-4. IMO our schedule was slightly easier than it appears to be this year though it's sometimes hard to predict how some teams will do from year to year based on injuries. I think an upside of 10-6 and a downside of 6-10 is very fare.

Yeah, but the best case scenario is that Taylor plays almost as well in the regular season as he did in the preseason. That *would* give us a solid, consistent QB.