[closed]Fred would have done anything to retire as a Bill

Nihilarian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/31/fred-jackson-would-have-done-anything-to-retire-with-bills/

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Jackson would have “done anything” to retire with the Bills. Jackson, however, wasn’t given that chance."

Then,

"Whaley declined to say whether the Bills tried to trade Jackson, but he acknowledged that the salary cap was part of the decision. If so, the cap number could have been reduced. Again, Jackson wasn’t given that chance"

Releasing the news about which QB is starting in 13 days had to be a deflection after the news about Fred. I honestly don't think the Bills FO was aware of how much of the fan base loved the guy after reading this.

this is simply bull ****. i love fred more then anyone - see how many threads i have made the last 3 years saying he's a top 5 back in the league - but this story reeks of just a headline and filler.

So let him sign a 1 day contract and retire. He can still do it if he's willing "to do anything".

yes.

Of course he did. However the big problem is that if Fred isn't ready to retire, then what? The Bills are supposed to just keep him?

Read the article because it sounds like they just cut him and didn't offer any other options.

Not to take a cut in pay.

Not to contemplate retiring as a Buffalo Bill

Read the article because it sounds like they just cut him and didn't offer any other options.

It doesn't matter. Cut in pay or retiring as a Bill. If Fred still wants to play, and the Bills don't have him in their plans then they're left with no option. What do you do, restructure for a guy who isn't fit for your plans for the team? It makes absolutely no sense to do that.

CRUSADE COMMENCE!!!!!!

Many other teams do this too, cut beloved veterans. If Buffalo wants to compete in this league, they will need to do the same.

I'm a Fred Jackson admirer, but if it's the end of the road, I can't feel too sorry for him.

-- 34 years old, in superb physical condition.

-- Beautiful family.

-- Millions of dollars in the bank (I can't see Fred being one of those guys who blows through his cash as fast as he gets it).

-- The good will of an entire community.

I hope Fred stays in WNY. He's a smart, articulate gentleman who would be a natural on television. Look how many mistakes Steve Tasker makes and he's still getting work. (And I'm a Tasker admirer, too. What a player.)

You guys do realize we can only keep 53 players right? Its not ONLY numbers in terms of the cap, its also numbers at a position. We have a loaded stable of RB's, all of which are not in what is likely their last season and on 34 year old legs. You guys also do realize Fred has only played in all 16 games ONCE in his career and that was way back in 2011 right?

I love Fred as much as anyone, and I fully believe he can still contribute to an NFL team. But we have a stud starter, our short yardage guy and ST player in Boobie, a more explosive guy in Brown, and a promising young talent in Karlos. Not to mention Felton. They were never going to keep 6 RB's so someone had to get cut. And you are making the best football decision, then cutting a young player with more upside and long term value to keep the oldest RB in the league who can't stay healthy is not the way to go.

Again, I looooovvvvveeee FRED, but at the end of the day, this isn't about that, its about making the best football decisions for this franchise. Boobie wasnt getting cut, he's goal line and great on ST. Karlos wasnt getting cut, he's an impressive rookie. Felton wasnt getting cut, he's our blocking FB. So it was about Bryce or Fred...and they went with the more explosive player over the aging Vet with trouble staying healthy and a bigger contract. Thats not a bad decision, its a painful decision and one that sucks, but the one that they had to make because of our talent at that position.

You guys do realize we can only keep 53 players right? Its not ONLY numbers in terms of the cap, its also numbers at a position. We have a loaded stable of RB's, all of which are not in what is likely their last season and on 34 year old legs. You guys also do realize Fred has only played in all 16 games ONCE in his career and that was way back in 2011 right?

I love Fred as much as anyone, and I fully believe he can still contribute to an NFL team. But we have a stud starter, our short yardage guy and ST player in Boobie, a more explosive guy in Brown, and a promising young talent in Karlos. Not to mention Felton. They were never going to keep 6 RB's so someone had to get cut. And you are making the best football decision, then cutting a young player with more upside and long term value to keep the oldest RB in the league who can't stay healthy is not the way to go.

Again, I looooovvvvveeee FRED, but at the end of the day, this isn't about that, its about making the best football decisions for this franchise. Boobie wasnt getting cut, he's goal line and great on ST. Karlos wasnt getting cut, he's an impressive rookie. Felton wasnt getting cut, he's our blocking FB. So it was about Bryce or Fred...and they went with the more explosive player over the aging Vet with trouble staying healthy and a bigger contract. Thats not a bad decision, its a painful decision and one that sucks, but the one that they had to make because of our talent at that position.

I think they could've cut Brown and been fine. Actually, probably better in 2015. "Win now" and all that.

[This is an automated response]<br /><br />This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread. <br /><br />Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics. <br /><br />Thank you.