How Does Indy Game Plan for Taylor?

PolishDave

Ha, I guess I just think of him when he was at Tech. He was listed at 5'11" 195lbs back then :oops:[/quote

The NFL is a grown mans game... He had to grow.... Nobody told Russell Wilson though...

Who comes in if Tyrod gets blown up? I wish he had a little more "duck" in him. Wilson is a master ducker/step OB. I love gutsy, but I prefer healthy and available. All that said, I'm excited. This news along with Fred was well calculated.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that most 1-2 read, waterbug, gimmick QBs have the support players he has? You want to devote 2 over the top spies on 3rd and long with Sammy, Percy, Woods, Clay and McCoy out there?

Yes, because Taylor is a run-first quarterback. Defenses will use loaded packages that commit pressure from 3-4 linemen/linebackers on one side of the ball forcing Taylor to break left out if the pocket. Taylor will commit to the run, and tuck the ball, which is what he does, and the spies will run him out of bounds before the first down marker.

It doesn't matter if he has Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Tony Gonzales, and Jim Brown out there; once Taylor has decided to run with it, they're irrelevant.

Yes, because Taylor is a run-first quarterback. Defenses will use loaded packages that commit pressure from 3-4 linemen/linebackers on one side of the ball forcing Taylor to break left out if the pocket. Taylor will commit to the run, and tuck the ball, which is what he does, and the spies will run him out of bounds before the first down marker.

It doesn't matter if he has Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Tony Gonzales, and Jim Brown out there; once Taylor has decided to run with it, they're irrelevant.

Still don't understand why people think this and say this. He throws far more often than he runs. He is a throw first QB with the potential to hit a big run when his receivers aren't open. That is a huge asset in a quarterback. It is not a drawback.

Still don't understand why people think this and say this. He throws far more often than he runs. He is a throw first QB with the potential to hit a big run when his receivers aren't open. That is a huge asset in a quarterback. It is not a drawback.

The reasoning is most young runners fall back on it when bullets start flying. To declare we know what he will be based on a few preseason drives is a bit much, but to speak to the specific post -if you can get pressure that rolls him to his weaker passing side, one would guess running comes up quickly in the options.

Was going to post this too - completely disagree that he's "run first". I'm watching the Steelers game right now (with a more critical eye on Tyrod) and I can't help but be impressed by his ability to stand in the pocket, calm and cool and deliver the ball.

And as I type this, he runs for his 20 yard TD :D:beer:

It's gonna be a fun season - so glad I'm going to be at the opener!!

Of course he throws more often than he runs, that's not what the term "run-first" means. Run-first has to do with what a quarterback does, under pressure, when trying to progress through his reads. Tyrod is a guy who tucked and scrambled in 7 on 7s with no pass rush.

Of course he throws more often than he runs, that's not what the term "run-first" means. Run-first has to do with what a quarterback does, under pressure, when trying to progress through his reads. Tyrod is a guy who tucked and scrambled in 7 on 7s with no pass rush.

I just Googled the term and tried looking for a definition for "run first quarterback" and couldn't come up with anything. I think your definition of it is misleading. What you are talking about is a "run tendency when pressured" quarterback or something along those lines.

In my mind, "run first" automatically implies that he runs with the ball as a first choice instead of throwing the ball as a first choice. And that isn't Tyrod Taylor.

I just Googled the term and tried looking for a definition for "run first quarterback" and couldn't come up with anything. I think your definition of it is misleading. What you are talking about is a "run tendency when pressured" quarterback or something along those lines.

In my mind, "run first" automatically implies that he runs with the ball as a first choice instead of throwing the ball as a first choice. And that isn't Tyrod Taylor.

Which qb do you picture as run first by your definition? Based on no one fitting yours, I'd venture that his definition is closer to realistic, no?

Why do you think it is that that term "run first quarterback" is common vernacular, and "run tendency when pressured quarterback" is not?

It's because "run first quarterback" is the term used to describe them. There are no quarterbacks in the NFL who run more than they throw.

Other "run first quarterbacks": RG3, Tyrell Pryor, Jake Locker.

He ran once in 14 pass plays against the Steelers.

stack the box...

that leaves sammy, clay and harvin in single coverage.

can't wait.

Don't forget Robert Woods. Think about that catch he made in Chicago last year. I believe that was a big 3rd down and considering the game went to overtime.... Don't forget about him. Actually, do. It helps him.

Which qb do you picture as run first by your definition? Based on no one fitting yours, I'd venture that his definition is closer to realistic, no?

When a QB is in the wildcat formation, then you could call him a "run-first" quarterback. But, in most situations there is no such thing as a "run-first" quarterback. That is the point. The term "run first quarterback" is a misleading term that serves no purpose other than to cause miscommunication and arguments over something that doesn't even exist.

The English language has plenty of words and phrases to describe a quarterback who has a higher propensity to run when pressured in passing situations.

If you want to abbreviate it then call him a "run-talented" quarterback or "run-minded" quarterback or "dual-threat" quarterback or "gifted-runner" quarterback or come up with a better phrase yet. But calling him a "run-first" quarterback is just misleading and untruthful. And you won't get your point across properly to the person you are speaking to if that person actually understands English.

Edited by PolishDave

Just force him to throw the ball deep. Keep someone in the middle of the field as a spy and then protect against the mid range. Tyrod has yet to show he has a good deep ball and if you're Indy you make him show you that.

I see your point. Question - whats your definition, in yards, for deep? Throwing deep could mean throwing deep to a specific spot and let Sammy / Clay / Woods make a play. I am honestly ok with that.

If you force the deep throws, that's fine, but that then has the D susceptible to a lot of crossing routes, which I am ok with as well.

I think what the Bills will need to monitor the most is how gassed / exhausted TT may get if in fact he is frequently mobile through out the game. D's could play it like this - if TT just rolled out / bootlegged / whatever, high % the next play will be a run because TT will need to catch his breath and his mental thoughts.

At the end of the day, I am A OK with TT being our starter. 11-5 baby!

Why do you think it is that that term "run first quarterback" is common vernacular, and "run tendency when pressured quarterback" is not?

It's because "run first quarterback" is the term used to describe them. There are no quarterbacks in the NFL who run more than they throw.

Other "run first quarterbacks": RG3, Tyrell Pryor, Jake Locker.

That's the thing, the term "run first quarterback" is not a common phrase at all. It is a phrase that people used here to paint an exaggerated picture of a quarterback who runs the ball more often in passing situations instead of looking to pass it. Google it. You will see for yourself.

There is a wikipedia page for the term "dual-threat quarterback" which is a much more accurate term to describe quarterbacks like Tyrod Taylor who have enough of the right kind of talent that allows them to make plays with their legs in addition to their arms. That is a much more accurate description of Tyrod Taylor than what you are using.

Why not just tell the truth and use the right words for the right situation? The only reason not to use the proper terms is if you have some kind of agenda of making the guy out to be something he isn't. And I assume that you don't.

That's the thing, the term "run first quarterback" is not a common phrase at all. It is a phrase that people used here to paint an exaggerated picture of a quarterback who runs the ball more often in passing situations instead of looking to pass it. Google it. You will see for yourself.

There is a wikipedia page for the term "dual-threat quarterback" which is a much more accurate term to describe quarterbacks like Tyrod Taylor who have enough of the right kind of talent that allows them to make plays with their legs in addition to their arms. That is a much more accurate description of Tyrod Taylor than what you are using.

Why not just tell the truth and use the right words for the right situation? The only reason not to use the proper terms is if you have some kind of agenda of making the guy out to be something he isn't. And I assume that you don't.

It's not mine, nor anyone else's, fault that you've never heard the phrase "run first" quarterback.

A quick google search brings up pages of results referencing the term.

The fact that you don't like the phrase, because it's a pejorative, doesn't somehow confer on him the Bo Jacksonesque ability to decide how he's going to beat you, and magically make him into a "dual-threat" quarterback.

Tyrod, while explosive, is one dimensional. He doesn't progress through his reads while under pressure, and that allows defenses to control his decision making. You saw this in the second preseason game, where Cleveland flushed him out of the pocket to his left on third and long, and then ushered him out of bounds well before the first down marker.

Indy's game plan for Taylor isn't going to be some secret recipe that we can't predict. It's going to be the same type of game plan that would be in place for Wilson, Kaepernick, Vick, etc. Containment and making the quarterback throw downfield. With that said, Taylor has shown progress in camp and preseason that he's not the same sub 60% passer that he was in his entire college career and Baltimore, prior to the Bills. Hopefully we'll see the same in a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure that Indy is going to give him every opportunity to beat them throwing the football. I expect Indy to go at Darby all day on offense too. He looked pretty terrible against Bryant.