Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Last Night's Game

Rapid reactions... 12 hours later haha

10. I'm an admitted ej fan and it was great not only to see him perform but also to see him rise to the challenge. He was lights out throwing darts yesterday.

7. I'm gonna miss hearing about Coe college every game. It has become such a staple! However that was the slowest 41 yard run maybe ever. One of the best parts of acquiring shady is fred will not need to over work his body. Hopefully he can go out with a playoff win to end his career.

But not all the fast RB's make that cut back to the left to produce that nice run.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good observations by the OC. I'd like to add these"

1. Let's hope Carpenter's kicking issues are resolved soon. Having an automatic PK is huge for a team looking to win with defense, special teams and a ground/pound running game.
  2. After the draft, I pegged O'Leary to be a huge sleeper but he never woke up. Gragg has clearly outplayed him. Practice squad time for Nick.
  3. What impresses me most about Tyrod is his patience and accuracy in the pocket. His running ability was as a given. He's gonna be a star.
  4. Love how EJ has played, but that bounce pass on 4th down without pressure is a reminder of why he can't be trusted as our starter.
  5. Cassel has done nothing to shake his "Meh" status. I see no reason to start Captain Checkdown II.
  6. Darby had one of those days, but that'll happen to a rookie. Don't let it fool you...he'll be a star in this league.
  7. Bryce can start packing his bags as soon as Karlos returns.
  8. Has there ever been a more fragile NFL player than Marquis Goodwin?
  9. Roman could be one-and-done as OC. If this game is any indication how good our offense will be this year he'll be a HC somewhere else next year.
  10. That 33 yard PAT gonna come into play this season; especially in December.

good post

excepting 8

That's all I was saying. He's made his mark as a ST'er and might finally be coming around as a WR.

and he was touted , once a Bill , as a red zone guy> probably a Nixism?

Very nice indeed to watch him yesterday. if only for the blocking for Freds big run.

But he played well all around imo. and moved up to #4

But not all the fast RB's make that cut back to the left to produce that nice run.

vision.

just ask CJ.

Edited by 3rdand12

and he was touted , once a Bill , as a red zone guy> probably a Nixism?

Very nice indeed to watch him yesterday. if only for the blocking for Freds big run.

But he played well all around imo. and moved up to #4

He was considered a sleeper. UCONN isn't a football powerhouse and most players out of there are sleepers. The only person I saw saying it was a good pick at the time was Corey Chavous. I remember reading that he was among the 3 best blockers at WR in that draft, so I'm not surprised about his block on Freddie's run. However in the past, his receiving has been spotty at best, to put it nicely. Yesterday was the best I've seen him catch the ball.

I never could figure why Easly didn't get more playing time at WR. Whenever I see him get any real time (always the preseason) he performs. Then he vanishes. I suppose it could be route running, as suggested earlier in the thread (he certainly looks to have decent hands and that shouldn't change between preseason and regular season). That would make sense and explain, to a degree, why he looks good in preseason but not in games. But does he look BAD in games? Is he dropping passes or just not getting open? I'm starting to think he has been pigeonholed since his early career, and just not considered a real WR. It would be nice if he can be an actual option at WR this season.

You forgot the OL played pretty much like crap all night. Incognito is our best OL followed by Glenn. Miller looked a bit shaken and unable to keep up as Pittsburgh was bringing it from all over the place and usually right down his throat. Wood at OC got pushed around too damn much.

Did you play offensive line or something? Honest question. You seem very into/knowledgeable with regards to the line. I will have to go back and watch again. I saw on the hold that Miller took. It seemed like he didnt read Henderson well. Did Henderson get beat and Miller slow to help or was Henderson supposed to let the edge rush get to Miller?

I finally got to watching the game tonight after being in Canada most of the weekend. Was nice to see the in game threads and see everyone's reactions. Now for my own analysis.

Cassel

You could say he's vet presence at this point because he really doesn't offer much in terms of being a gamer/game changer/etc. He's good at what he does but that's not what we need and is in no way good enough. I see a lot of Edwards in him. Takes the checkdowns any chance he gets to ensure a completion.

TT

As someone else pointed out, the guy is a gamer but I'm still concerned about long passes over the middle. I don't know if his height but he either doesn't like to throw the ball in the middle of the field or you can't see the middle of the field. One things for sure, he can move the ball either with his arm or his legs. I do still have concerns about him staying healthy if he is going to run but this game he looked like a passer first and ran only when he need to.

Probably an unnecessary knock on him but it was something that was pointed out about EJ many times; the guy really hasn't had to thread the needle. A good amount of his completions were to guys that were wide open. It's very possible that they just ran a great route and he delivered on time but I didn't watch the game more than once to say for sure. If that is the case then good for him being on with the timing.

EJ

I do believe he has turned a corner. Other than the 4th down pass (whether or not it was deflected is beyond me but the ball did look like it changed trajectory) he was lights out. I still get the feeling he's going to get the short end of the stick with the new staff and having them bring in their guys but he's shown enough to be able to come into a game and handle it. Everyone points out the pass to Clay was an easy pass. For a good/great QB, yes it was but we haven't seen this type of play from him since his first few games a rookie when he just winged it. The play that stood out to me was the pass to Gragg when he dropped a dime between the saftey and DB.

One thing I will say is that his TD pass to Palmer would have been defended or picked by a good DB. I'm not sure who was playing at the time but either he threw it too short or read it too late and then made the throw. That play looked like it could have been similar to the pick that (I believe it was Gilmore) had against the ravens in the end zone (either last year or the year prior).

All and All, I'm in the ABC club(I expect my t shirt and decoder ring soon). TT really is a double threat. He has wheels and he's a rock running the ball. I would just prefer him to do that as a last resort. EJ as I said, looks like he has gone 3 straight games of getting better and better. I am still pulling for EJ but might end up sitting out for now unless something unfortunate happens.

Edited by The Wiz

He was considered a sleeper. UCONN isn't a football powerhouse and most players out of there are sleepers. The only person I saw saying it was a good pick at the time was Corey Chavous. I remember reading that he was among the 3 best blockers at WR in that draft, so I'm not surprised about his block on Freddie's run. However in the past, his receiving has been spotty at best, to put it nicely. Yesterday was the best I've seen him catch the ball.

I fully agree. A pleasant surprise.

Realistically, I'd guess no. But if we only dress 5 and have an injury he's likely as good as most 6th wrs while offering exceptional special teams play

You know the summer is almost over when we hear the annual mention of Easley's WR potential..

Good points but Easley wasn't a highly-touted WR prospect. He was a 4th rounder out of UCONN.

That's correct. Just for a little history, he was picked during the Chan-era. The local media was anamoured with his size & thought he would out- physical defenders at the line, as well as for the ball down field. During mini camp after that draft, he had some sort of natural health ailment that needed treatment. I remember it was down-played by the Bills & he never saw much work the whole season.

The next year, during training camp, I believe, he suffered some sort of injury & they put him on IR. So for 2 years, he was some sort of mystery man. By his 3rd year, I saw him on one or two plays at receiver in preseason with the 3rd's, no balls thrown his way. That year, though, he started playing on the kicking squads and he became pretty good at it.

I've always liked the kid. It seems now, he's really coming into his own and I hope he keeps improving. I'd like to see him work his way into the regular receiver rotation & see what he can do there.

If he can be counted on as WR depth, seeing as how he's all but assured to make the team based on ST's ability, it's a big win.

Well , if Roman and Lal can get more from him then previous coaches it IS a big win. Kid has overcome quite a bit of adversity while a Bill !