Ashley Madison leak -- the fallout begins

truth on hold

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I heard that the website was almost exclusively dudes talking to dudes pretending to be chicks?

Latest news is that it is dudes talking to employees pretending to be customers; most of the IPs for women were loopbacks to Ashley Madison so most customers will be embarrassed to be revealed as idiots not as having an affair.

AM is done ... CEO resigned, it was mostly dudes, female accounts faked by AM, no security for the subscribers, lawsuits mounting ....

Question now who hacked it?

AC/DC tweets raise suspicions about Ashley Madison hacker's identity

A love of AC/DC may have inadvertently outed the identity of someone associated with recently hacked AshleyMadison.com, an influential IT journalist and consultant suggests.

In a blog post, Brian Krebs says he noticed that a Twitter account recently posted a link to Ashley Madison's stolen proprietary source code before it was made public.

(Krebs is the reporter who first uncovered the Ashley Madison hack, the Home Depot credit card hack and many others.)

Intrigued by the poster's apparent access, he examined the account's posting history and noticed a predilection for the music of Australian hard rock band AC/DC, but thought little else of it at the time.

It wasn't until last week's Toronto police news conference mentioned an intriguing nugget about their investigation into the hack that Krebs was reminded of the account. The police say the company became aware of the attack when employees came into work one morning and all of their computers saw a threatening message from the Impact Team, as the hacker group claiming responsibility for the attack calls itself.

That message was accompanied by AC/DC song Thunderstruck.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ac-dc-tweets-raise-suspicions-about-ashley-madison-hacker-s-identity-1.3206987

Edited by JTSP

AM is done ... CEO resigned, it was mostly dudes, female accounts faked by AM, no security for the subscribers, lawsuits mounting ....

Question now who hacked it?

AC/DC tweets raise suspicions about Ashley Madison hacker's identity

A love of AC/DC may have inadvertently outed the identity of someone associated with recently hacked AshleyMadison.com, an influential IT journalist and consultant suggests.

In a blog post, Brian Krebs says he noticed that a Twitter account recently posted a link to Ashley Madison's stolen proprietary source code before it was made public.

(Krebs is the reporter who first uncovered the Ashley Madison hack, the Home Depot credit card hack and many others.)

Intrigued by the poster's apparent access, he examined the account's posting history and noticed a predilection for the music of Australian hard rock band AC/DC, but thought little else of it at the time.

It wasn't until last week's Toronto police news conference mentioned an intriguing nugget about their investigation into the hack that Krebs was reminded of the account. The police say the company became aware of the attack when employees came into work one morning and all of their computers saw a threatening message from the Impact Team, as the hacker group claiming responsibility for the attack calls itself.

That message was accompanied by AC/DC song Thunderstruck.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ac-dc-tweets-raise-suspicions-about-ashley-madison-hacker-s-identity-1.3206987

Damn! And just when I was about to join!

Brian Krebs has been all over this from the start. I linked a few of his posts early on, and thought I linked the post where he was targeting Thadeus Zu, but it looks as though I did not. Here it is:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/08/who-hacked-ashley-madison/

There remains some doubt to whether TZ is the actual hacker, but I think there is less doubt he knows who the hackers are.

For people interested in this sort of thing, I recommend keeping a regular eye on Brian Kreb's blog.

Here's my take.

Every great discovery, throughout the history of mankind, is weaponized. The internet is no different. The internet is a battleground and the hackers are the soldiers. Anytime you post anything on the internet, no matter how secure you think the site is,that information is vulnerable. Whether you're buying something on Amazon, or posting a profile on a cheater site, you're opened up to attack. You are trusting that the site is keeping your credit card info, or your private details, or kikny fantasies, secure. The hackers want to attack those details and use them against you.

Now, if its Matt from Kenmore with nothing to gain from being exposed,then who cares, hackers, or anyone else won't bother with you. But if you are the Chief of the Federal Family Values committee posting on a cheater site, you are fair game, and will be attacked and potentially destroyed for even the slightest discrepancy.

Keep that in mind, when you have a kid, and your wife starts posting pictures of your child on Facebook from the first day you bring that child home, to family vacations, to first day of school, and so on. That in 50 years, when that child is grown and older, that the information will still be there. And potentially, and most likely, that the information will be there to sell to the highest bidder. If your kid has nothing to lose, then who cares, but if the child grows and gets a position of power, that info will be used against them.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Skynet baby, Skynet...

Edited by mastershake

Here's my take.

Every great discovery, throughout the history of mankind, is weaponized. The internet is no different. The internet is a battleground and the hackers are the soldiers. Anytime you post anything on the internet, no matter how secure you think the site is,that information is vulnerable. Whether you're buying something on Amazon, or posting a profile on a cheater site, you're opened up to attack. You are trusting that the site is keeping your credit card info, or your private details, or kikny fantasies, secure. The hackers want to attack those details and use them against you.

Now, if its Matt from Kenmore with nothing to gain from being exposed,then who cares, hackers, or anyone else won't bother with you. But if you are the Chief of the Federal Family Values committee posting on a cheater site, you are fair game, and will be attacked and potentially destroyed for even the slightest discrepancy.

Keep that in mind, when you have a kid, and your wife starts posting pictures of your child on Facebook from the first day you bring that child home, to family vacations, to first day of school, and so on. That in 50 years, when that child is grown and older, that the information will still be there. And potentially, and most likely, that the information will be there to sell to the highest bidder. If your kid has nothing to lose, then who cares, but if the child grows and gets a position of power, that info will be used against them.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Skynet baby, Skynet...

Happy Saturday!

Christian theologian steps down due to Ashley Madison hack

Robert Craig Sproul Jr., best known by his first initials, today stepped up to face his sorrow — and teach a lesson in God's grace in the process.

He may be the beginning of a wave. LifeWay Research executive director andChristianity Today blogger Ed Stetzer speculated that hundreds of pastors, deacons and more might be shoved into the shaming spotlight for connecting to Ashley Madison, the hook-up site specializing in folks seeking extra-marital affairs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/31/ashley-madison-christian-theologian-robert-craig-sproul-jr/71489636/

Edited by JTSP

From the linked article:

"Overall, the picture is grim indeed. Out of 5.5 million female accounts, roughly zero percent had ever shown any kind of activity at all, after the day they were created.

The men’s accounts tell a story of lively engagement with the site, with over 20 million men hopefully looking at their inboxes, and over 10 million of them initiating chats. The women’s accounts show so little activity that they might as well not be there."

:lol:

So Matt's wife was carrying the load for the entire site? :D

I still don't get why someone would not have a fake email address? I mean, I have two. One for spam and a throwaway for other nonsense. Neither are linked at all to me and I only use them for getting emails, not sending (nothing to send). My memberships to sites where maybe i want to learn about something or have to sign in to view the article.

I have even signed up with accounts using a fake name, email address, phone number and physical address (not Ashley Madison) because they were known for selling information using a debit card purchased w/cash. I can not see why these people can not do something similar other than thinking with their little head rather than their big head.

• 2 months later...

Man that's rough...

A prominent New Jersey educator lost his job, his wife, his mind and possibly his freedom thanks to the Ashley Madison hack, The Post has learned.

David Browne, district school superintendent of Randolph NJ, sustained severe burns while trying to torch his garage after confessing to his wife and school board he had an account with the infamous infidelity Web site.

http://nypost.com/2015/12/06/ashley-madison-hack-steals-mans-job-wife-and-mind/

Maybe I'm just older, but that's ridiculous. Granted, I've been around a bunch of guys who were perpetual horndogs, and I stopped hanging with them because they were essentially an embarrassment to anyone who either is a man, or identifies as a man, but virtually all the married men I personally know don't need strange tail to truly be happy.

And if they ARE unhappy in their marriage, there's something other than sex that is creating the issue.

It's not because you're older, it's because you're sensible. I'm thirty and I see it the same way as you. A lot of guys are cheaters. That has nothing to do with whether men are monogamus by nature. In fact plenty of research has been done that indicates people are monogamous by nature. It's the messages that we receive from society that tells us other wise. The media potrays all the "cool" guys as being players that won't settle down with one woman. This is always shown as something these guys do simply because it is the nature of men. That's why so many guys on this board claim that men are polyamourous. I see posts saying that men look at other women, meaning men are suppressing their true desire. Looking and actually taking action on it are two completely different things. Looking does not mean that as a man you aren't naturally monogamous. I hate to tell you guys but your wag's are probably looking at other guys too. It still doesn't say anything about monogamy. Ashley Madison is completely different than looking, these guys had the intention of hooking up with someone. So I don't see the correlation. I just hope that all you guys who don't think men can naturally be monogamous ever get married. That's why we have Ashley Madison scandals now days. The dynamic of relationships have changed greatly since the sixties altered the world. Before the sixites people often married the first person they had a relationship with. Now people often go through dozens of them before marriage. If that's what you find fun, then don't ever get married. Too many people these days make the mistake of getting married, when its something they should never had done. They have no concept of sticking with one person. This is why we live in an Ashley Madison world these days. P.S Any of these guys who thought their secret was so safe are complete idiots. The biggest issue to me is all the college educated men with important roles in society who are too stupid to realize the internet doesn't always remain anonymous. Guys that control us and our children's future. No wonder why some people are so negative about the future of mankind. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5