Car maintenance

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how much it costs to keep a car in good condition! Went in for a simple oil change and came out close to $400 later with new brakes and rotors!

CBF

you got jipped. i'll read the other posts now.

I knew I needed brake work when I went for inspection last week. Metal on metal. Had to get all 4 rotors replaced, and the killer was that the emergency brake mechanism was frozen and needed replacement. $970.

Ouch. The most I have ever spent on a brake related issue was $350. 200 for the brake booster and 150 for the labor.

From what I know it's the least uncommon to happen.

pads cheap

rotors cheap

master cylinder not too much.

just dont get suckered.

An oil change is like a dental cleaning - an opportunity for the shop/dentist to see you and sell you stuff.

Which is why many dealers send discount oil change coupons - they want the foot falls.

I hardly, say yes to anything on the spot. I say 'yeah, thanx' and if it is something serious (like brakes or joints or something), I take the car to another shop to get a quote. Then make a decision.

Most of the time, they really can find nothing and come up with some ridiculous list of 'fluid flushes' which total $400-$500. Just because they HAVE to try and sell me something.

Classic place is Jiffy Lube. They don't make any money on the oil changes with the $19.99 coupon but try to sell you on everything else!

The Toyota dealership wanted $600 to change the front and rear brake pads on my mom's SUV. I told her to bring it to my house. 2 hours and less than $100 later she had brand new brakes.

LOL

I should also add that I knew I would be needing brake pads soon as I was starting to hear/feel grinding whenever I had to brake in my car

CBF

That grinding might be a concern that'll cost you big money down the road. It sounds like you need a new flux capacitor. If you drop it off at my buddy's shop and tell him I sent you I'll make sure he gives you a deal.

I can't see how doing one's own oil change is a win. By the time one buys an oil filter, oil and disposes of the oil ... plus the time it takes ... spending $20 to have someone else do it is far more cost-effective, in my opinion.

And I thought all this crap was covered for everyone in Canada.

Years ago with a previous car I had a rear caliper locking up, at night you could see it glow from the heat. Took it to a dealer, first calls me to ask how I knew it was locking up. Told him that brown stuff on my wheel was the brake dust being baked onto the rim by the heat. Calls me back later, recommends all dealer parts plus labor at $1200, or oem parts plus labor at $900. Told him I didn't have that and to button it all back up while I think about it. Got in touch with a friend and he told me to go to one of the local auto parts stores and order what I needed, and he would show me how to do brakes for a case of beer. So parts (rear calipers, rotors, and pads) plus a case of beer cost me about $350 total.

Funny thing was talking with a coworker years later, he used to use the same dealership. He had the same issue, go in for something simple and your bill ends up being a multiple of $300, like someone had a car or boat payment due.

I can't see how doing one's own oil change is a win. By the time one buys an oil filter, oil and disposes of the oil ... plus the time it takes ... spending $20 to have someone else do it is far more cost-effective, in my opinion.

I definitely agree with this. I used to always change my own oil on principle, but after doing the math it just isn't worth it to me to save what amounted to a few bucks. As everyone has said, don't fall for the extra stuff. As long as I'm passing by these places anyway, 10 minutes in and out, no fuss, no mess; it's something I will continue to pay for.

No surprise-- I am with you. I am terrible with cars and can't change my own oil.

However, after getting totally ripped off by those oil change places in the past, I don't fall for their nonsense anymore. I found an excellent, honest mechanic about 10 years ago; so if one of these oil change places tell me I need new brakes, I just say thanks and take it to my honest mechanic, who usually tells me they are fine.

A good mechanice is hard to find.

I have one too. But he's so damn busy. He doesnt even respond to my calls till like days later. By that time, I used another mechanic or I fixed it myself.

In all honesty, Im an office guy, but I still get down and dirty with cars and house maintencance. All men need to do some repairs.

Oil change is basically loosen a plug. Let oil drain out. Change oil filter. (They even have oil filter wrenches to make it easier)

It's not even really expensive to get starter tools. I wanted a new basic toolbox and drill. Last month (walmart/amazon mini black friday special), I bought a black and decker drill set. Has a bunch of sockets for car/home use. It has everything. $54 including shipping. Drill/bits/wrench/ruler/tape/level/sockets

A jack is $40 bucks too.

Like another poster mentioned too. Youtube helps big time.

That's because if you go to Jiffy Lube to get the $20 special, they are putting the cheapest possible oil they have.

If you do it yourself, you'll spend that much, BUT AT LEAST YOU WILL PUT IN THE GOOD STUFF.

Honestly I rarely have car problems. I think it has to be because I do regular maintenance and I use better than normal parts/oil/ etc.

How about be a man argument?

lol

I know I should have a man card taken away but sometimes I just am willing to pay the money to have someone else do it

Like if I buy anything from Ikea, I would pay someone to put it together since I take one look at the 3,000 nuts, bolts and screws and want to scream

CBF

lol

I know I should have a man card taken away but sometimes I just am willing to pay the money to have someone else do it

Like if I buy anything from Ikea, I would pay someone to put it together since I take one look at the 3,000 nuts, bolts and screws and want to scream

CBF

dude that's the best part. doing the work.

i guess you kinda have to like it too...

I dont mind taking out the ol drill and doing a job right.

acutally, that is a great argument. just pay cuz you want it the easy way. nothing really wrong with that either.

dude that's the best part. doing the work.

i guess you kinda have to like it too...

I dont mind taking out the ol drill and doing a job right.

acutally, that is a great argument. just pay cuz you want it the easy way. nothing really wrong with that either.

Thanks man.

I wouldnt mind doing the work myself but having a toddler and another baby on the way I find that I dont have as much down time as I would like to take on stuff like that so I really dont have a problem paying someone to do it for me

CBF

Years ago with a previous car I had a rear caliper locking up, at night you could see it glow from the heat. Took it to a dealer, first calls me to ask how I knew it was locking up. Told him that brown stuff on my wheel was the brake dust being baked onto the rim by the heat. Calls me back later, recommends all dealer parts plus labor at $1200, or oem parts plus labor at $900. Told him I didn't have that and to button it all back up while I think about it. Got in touch with a friend and he told me to go to one of the local auto parts stores and order what I needed, and he would show me how to do brakes for a case of beer. So parts (rear calipers, rotors, and pads) plus a case of beer cost me about $350 total.

Funny thing was talking with a coworker years later, he used to use the same dealership. He had the same issue, go in for something simple and your bill ends up being a multiple of $300, like someone had a car or boat payment due.

I hear what you are saying. But it is labor. People don't like to work for free. Then there is other overhead like tools/equipment, insurance, etc...

Say the parts 350... 1200 is steep, but there is a lot more to factor in than. The mechanic fixing it needs to live too, pay for his training, tools, etc... I don't mind saving a buck, dealers are step though.

I just had to get a fuel pump in my Jeep; not @ dealer of course! Tank has to be dropped. That's a pain w/out a lift. Those lifts are expensive. The whole job came out to $350. The part was under 200 bucks, that seemed fair to me 1/2 parts, 1/2 labor.

Say they charge 80 bucks an hour labor rate, how much they paying the technician and hour? Benefits, etc... Now there is the facility, equipment, insurance, etc... I mean, the techs are skilled trades people, no?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois