Car maintenance

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... new brakes? why not just the rotors? yikes tikes son.

when had been the last time you did your brakes? and why don't you change your own oil?

The last time I changed my oil which was in the 80's was when the oil filter wrenched slipped and I knocked off all the skin on my knuckles. After that I said f this. For $20 let someone else change my oil.

The last time I changed my oil which was in the 80's was when the oil filter wrenched slipped and I knocked off all the skin on my knuckles. After that I said f this. For $20 let someone else change my oil.

It's not $20 anymore, and if you're getting it for $20, you're getting good value.

I think the Cavalier I can change for $16. The F350 is about $90. The Jeep $30. Mostly the cost of oil.

Depends what oil, quality of filter you use. I use full synthetic in my Jeep and almost come out the same as having somebody do it... Around 40-50 bucks w/quality filter. Figure how much is a quart of say Castrol full Synthetic (like Edge)... Six quarts is around 40 bucks alone.

20 bucks? You are getting bargain basement oil and filter. On the Jeep, I can do a nicer AND NEATER job changing it myself.

Now, the new Cooper and BMW don't even have a dip stick... You check the oil w/the onboard computer, but dealer takes care of that for the first 3-4 years. MINI only requires one oil change every 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. BMW the warning goes off @ 8,000 miles.

I actually like the idea of no dip stick!

Agree on the oil changes. Because of the deal I get from the dealer, they save me no money to do myself.

Doing the brakes myself, oth, saves me ~$200 on each vehicle. It's definitely worth my time.

Just last week:

I take mine into the dealer where they give me the royal treatment, everything covered under warranty including oil changes.... WHILE @ the same exact time my son is calling me that the Jeep won't start (turned out to be fuel pump)... Hey, let's call: "Daddy Roadside Assistance!" So we end up pushing it a mile down the road, because I am too cheap to get a tow for only a mile. Hey! What's a mile? That's what neutral is for! LoL Good thing the cops in town didn't see us pushing it out of the 7-Eleven parking lot where it died. I was like (to my son): "One, two, three... Let's get 'er into traffic and go... The shop is only a mile down the road." I was prepared to fib and tell them (cop) it broke down in the middle of the road... LoL...

God is punishing me and my 17 year old son is telling him to do it... The little brat steals my thunder! How dare Daddy get to go to the dealer and get full service gratis. Heck, both my wife's and my car don't even have spares... I haven't used a spare in over 20 years anyway. Watch, I will need one soon. I guess, that's what the little phone number on the trunk is for and what the SoS button does... LMAO... So God punishes me by breaking down the Jeep just to keep me on my toes. Why do you foresake me! You just can't let me be @ peace and let others handle the damn things! You will make me pay w/my labor some way!

Just last week:

I take mine into the dealer where they give me the royal treatment, everything covered under warranty including oil changes.... WHILE @ the same exact time my son is calling me that the Jeep won't start (turned out to be fuel pump)... Hey, let's call: "Daddy Roadside Assistance!" So we end up pushing it a mile down the road, because I am too cheap to get a tow for only a mile. Hey! What's a mile? That's what neutral is for! LoL Good thing the cops in town didn't see us pushing it out of the 7-Eleven parking lot where it died. I was like (to my son): "One, two, three... Let's get 'er into traffic and go... The shop is only a mile down the road." I was prepared to fib and tell them (cop) it broke down in the middle of the road... LoL...

God is punishing me and my 17 year old son is telling him to do it... The little brat steals my thunder! How dare Daddy get to go to the dealer and get full service gratis. Heck, both my wife's and my car don't even have spares... I haven't used a spare in over 20 years anyway. Watch, I will need one soon. I guess, that's what the little phone number on the trunk is for and what the SoS button does... LMAO... So God punishes me by breaking down the Jeep just to keep me on my toes. Why do you foresake me! You just can't let me be @ peace and let others handle the damn things! You will make me pay w/my labor some way!

The dealer really does treat you good. I'll sit in the lounge, watch TV/my phone, and eat free popcorn while they change my oil. Thankfully, my kids aren't old enough to drive yet, so I'm only looking after my own vehicles.

The dealer really does treat you good. I'll sit in the lounge, watch TV/my phone, and eat free popcorn while they change my oil. Thankfully, my kids aren't old enough to drive yet, so I'm only looking after my own vehicles.

Yep! Water, pop, snacks... The whole nine yards. Then Captain Buzzkill has to call: "Dad, the Jeep won't start... You've shoulda been here like two minutes ago. I think it is just the battery."

What else can it be with Millenials besides a a bad battery. ?? Everything is a bad battery now! iPhone dies, bad battery! ;-) ;-)

So... I rush home and swap out a spare battery that was on maintenance charge (BatterTender) just to prove him wrong... Still no go... He still wants me to jump it... LMAO "Ah, gee son, I don't think it is the battery... I just put a fully charged one in!" :-/

Shoot me now... Calgon take me away!

I get it but I have been hearing screeching and grinding noises for about a month now so I knew my breaks needed to be worked on

CBF

Why would you wait that long,without asking somebody ? Your brakes have sqeelers on them when they wear down. Next time just ask one of us for advice. I don`t mind .

It's not $20 anymore, and if you're getting it for $20, you're getting good value.

I think the Cavalier I can change for $16. The F350 is about $90. The Jeep $30. Mostly the cost of oil.

That was back in the 80's now it costs me around $40 because my jeep takes 6 quarts. Still a better deal than scraping all the skin off my knuckles

that's why I hate jeeps and their oil

I still love my Jeep. I used to have an H3 and loved it even more than the Jeep and regret selling it. I go to some very remote locations in San Diego county and have to have 4 x 4. Other wise I would be stuck in some very remote locations.

I still love my Jeep. I used to have an H3 and loved it even more than the Jeep and regret selling it. I go to some very remote locations in San Diego county and have to have 4 x 4. Other wise I would be stuck in some very remote locations.

Don`t bring that thing up north Pa. New York ,so on. Biggest pile of rust ever made. And yeah 32 yrs of Auto body,can say that.