The good old 14th

B-Large

TYTT post got me to thinking, the 14th amendment granted US citizenship to slaves during reconstruction after the civil war from my recollection and due process for all citizens, but does the amendment need addressed as of 2015? Does a child here of parents who are not citizen status deserve automaic citizenship? I recall bills proposing a change have had little traction in Congress.

Trumps digging into immigration, it's gonna be a hot topic come election time....

Thoughts?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did we turn into such a nation of xenophobic arse holes? "illegal" immigrants have - on the whole - a lower crime rate and pay more into the system than comparable "citizens".

Gotta blame someone for your problems.

Those kids are born here....embrace them as fellow patriots.

When did we turn into such a nation of xenophobic arse holes? "illegal" immigrants have - on the whole - a lower crime rate and pay more into the system than comparable "citizens".

It's a fair question, why should people here illegally, ie breaking our laws, have their child deemed a U.S. Citizen? Provide them medical care, ensure the health of that child then deport them... If they WISH to be citizens, they can file for legal processing...

Is that really unreasonable?

14th amendment. some folks have problems with the 2nd amendment. how does the 4th amendment apply to the intarweb era. does a militarized police presence on private property during a standoff violate the 3rd amendment? some folks want to get rid of the 16th, 17th, and 22nd amendments. How does the 10th amendment work in modern america. are the Interstate commerce and necessary proper clauses abused?

Lots of Constitutional questions

IMO we're overdue for a convention

TYTT post got me to thinking, the 14th amendment granted US citizenship to slaves during reconstruction after the civil war from my recollection and due process for all citizens, but does the amendment need addressed as of 2015? Does a child here of parents who are not citizen status deserve automaic citizenship? I recall bills proposing a change have had little traction in Congress.

Trumps digging into immigration, it's gonna be a hot topic come election time....

Thoughts?

It's not going to be a hot topic come election time, because 80% of the public isn't offended by the landscapers and maids' ethnicity, and Mexicans are known the nation over to be hard workers. I welcome them. They are also the backbone of American Agriculture. They deserve some credit, at least in knods, if not rights.

100% of illegal immigrants are criminals. Your numbers are invalid.

I'm not a big fan of "punishing" a child because of the actions of their parents. Also, generally speaking, these people are looking to create better opportunities for their families. I'd be against a change, personally.

Though, I know I'll be in the minority here (and possibly nationwide).

You can eat a big fat dick.

I don't believe that my own children deserve citizenship simply because they were blessed enough to be born to my wife and I, at a certain latitude and longitude.

I believe that they should have the exact same opportunity to be US citizens as anyone else: through merit.

Just curious...how many of them would be born here if we didn't offer their parents 'free' food, housing and health care if they can just cross the border.

Take all that away and how many 'fellow patriots' would be born here?

Better yet...let's go after every business that hires the parents of these 'fellow patriots' and let's see who's REALLY willing to risk their lives to get here.

But that's probably too difficult for a staunch Republican like you to digest.

Anyone who thinks these illegal aliens are all hard workers has never lived around them.

Even when granted citizenship at birth, the children don't actually identify as American, especially when they're still waving the Mexican Flag...

Well, I have lived around a number of them and the great majority of them are hard workers who earn their money through tough physical labor, go to the gas station on the way home, drink their six pack of beer, go to sleep and get up early to just repeat the process all over again, just so that they can send home their extra earnings back home to their families.

That's what you call sacrifice.

Just curious...how many of them would be born here if we didn't offer their parents 'free' food, housing and health care if they can just cross the border.

That is simply either demagoguery at it's worst or a complete misunderstanding of the facts on the ground. Illegal immigrants don't qualify for welfare, food stamps, medicaid and most other public benefits.

They do not come here to get free benefits. That is absurd. By in large, they come here to make a living. You guys talk about these people as if they are some sort of sub humans or something who just want to mooch off of you.

Back to the original topic I think we should have a new amendment to point out that the booze amendment and the one canceling out the booze amendment really aren't needed because they cross each other out and that means some of the other amendments need to be re-numbered.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Thoughts?

It's fine. It's the thing that connects our bill of rights to the states, so no one is touching it. Literally, if you got rid of 14th amendment you could say states don't have to abide by 1st or 4th amendments

You can eat a big fat dick.

I don't believe that my own children deserve citizenship simply because they were blessed enough to be born to my wife and I, at a certain latitude and longitude.

I believe that they should have the exact same opportunity to be US citizens as anyone else: through merit.

What would be the merit awards? How would this child "earn" citizenship? And what if a kid couldn't measure up? No rights?

This topic can be discussed all day and year long and the bottom line remains, It ain't gonna happen.

You'd have to have the president, 2/3 of both bodies of the congress approve of the changes and then 75% of all the states would have to ratify it.

You may as well be discussing the possibility of winning the lottery, because the odds of that happening is even greater than the former.

. Illegal immigrants don't qualify for welfare, food stamps, medicaid and most other public benefits.

They do not come here to get free benefits. That is absurd. By in large, they come here to make a living. You guys talk about these people as if they are some sort of sub humans or something who just want to mooch off of you.

I think that if you look under the covers in many states you will find that illegal immigrants (particulalry those that have American born children) are drawing from these benefits.

I think that if you look under the covers in many states you will find that illegal immigrants (particulalry those that have American born children) are drawing from these benefits.

There may be a few that fall through the cracks, but it's not widespread like some people argue. If you don't have documentation that you have legal status, you don't get these benefits. The ones that do is either for reasons of fraudulence or that particular state's neglect to enforce the rules.

So if you have beef with it, then the beef is misdirected and should be aimed at the states not enforcing the laws.

What would be the merit awards? How would this child "earn" citizenship? And what if a kid couldn't measure up? No rights?

He owns the idea of citizenship so whatever he wants. But the good news is you also own the idea of citizenship so whatever you want. Plus free music. Hooray.

This topic can be discussed all day and year long and the bottom line remains, It ain't gonna happen.

You'd have to have the president, 2/3 of both bodies of the congress approve of the changes and then 75% of all the states would have to ratify it.

You may as well be discussing the possibility of winning the lottery, because the odds of that happening is even greater than the former.

Actually, the details of the definition of "citizenship" are written into US statute (in no small part because the 14th is overly broad and somewhat ambiguous - no one's ever agreed on what "jurisdiction" really means in context).

So while no one's repealing the 14th any time soon, there is some wiggle room.

Let's start with "Anyone who doesn't know the difference between 'merit' and 'award' is automatically ineligible."