NLRB says college football players cannot unionize

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the ones who are in too many cases steered into sham curriculums (complete with a sham degrees) that are designed to keep them eligible while providing no marketable skills and no career path beyond college? Don't be naive.

Because that's the case for ALL college athletes on scholarship, amirite?

Students who prepare for regular jobs in college are allowed to get paid when they have summer jobs or internships in the fields they pursue. NCAA athletes can't get paid for playing their sport. A bit contradictory.

As a matter of fact there are a lot of these athletes (I know some myself) who make some good money running camps for younger kids in the offseason.

Internships related to actual careers are usually unpaid. Most college students make sandwiches or bag groceries in the summertime to make some extra money.

As a matter of fact there are a lot of these athletes (I know some myself) who make some good money running camps for younger kids in the offseason.

Internships related to actual careers are usually unpaid. Most college students make sandwiches or bag groceries in the summertime to make some extra money.

Pretty sure that's an NCAA violation. It would have been when I played. They made a point about it.

:lol: This is a terrible analogy.

The last part, yes. because it mocks what everyone is complaining about. there is value in a college education, the players get such value.

the first part is tried and true.

Pretty sure that's an NCAA violation. It would have been when I played. They made a point about it.

There are ways around this... I went to a camp affiliated with the University. The camp had athletes who could not sell the university's image or their brand but they did sell a t-shirt with everyones name on it for their own markup. A $4 shirt and they made $21 bucks.

The "camps" had other perks. A rental car or golf cart on campus, not to mention they get paid for their coaching.

The last part, yes. because it mocks what everyone is complaining about. there is value in a college education, the players get such value.

the first part is tried and true.

There are ways around this... I went to a camp affiliated with the University. The camp had athletes who could not sell the university's image or their brand but they did sell a t-shirt with everyones name on it for their own markup. A $4 shirt and they made $21 bucks.

The "camps" had other perks. A rental car or golf cart on campus, not to mention they get paid for their coaching.

And that is still a pittance compared to the value that star athletes bring to a university. Who do you think is largely responsible for NCAA coaches earning $5 mil/year? NCAA is a sham, as the O'Bannon & original NW verdicts declared. The NLRB ruling is a bit different, but now that these cases are winding through the courts, the cartel will be torn down soon.

And that is still a pittance compared to the value that star athletes bring to a university. Who do you think is largely responsible for NCAA coaches earning $5 mil/year? NCAA is a sham, as the O'Bannon & original NW verdicts declared. The NLRB ruling is a bit different, but now that these cases are winding through the courts, the cartel will be torn down soon.

...team sport. la la la. don't care.

Any athlete that is so supreme, these stars you speak of, who can go on and earn millions need to go do so immediately. Maybe you should be looking at the professional leagues barring players leaving school too early? Maybe you should be upset the NBA and NFL do not allow players to come in out of high school. Maybe then you'd see these guys leaving right from high school to make millions and failing to sustain a career. Whilst doing so receiving no education and flopping out to a low income job.

It would not take 5 years for the system to default as high school players would show why they are not ready for the pro's yet, and in the mean time they'd have no education.

Any athlete that is so supreme, these stars you speak of, who can go on and earn millions need to go do so immediately. Maybe you should be looking at the professional leagues barring players leaving school too early? Maybe you should be upset the NBA and NFL do not allow players to come in out of high school. Maybe then you'd see these guys leaving right from high school to make millions and failing to sustain a career. Whilst doing so receiving no education and flopping out to a low income job.

It would not take 5 years for the system to default as high school players would show why they are not ready for the pro's yet, and in the mean time they'd have no education.

You realize that's because they enjoy a cozy relationship with the NCAA that they don't poach players. The most popular sport in the US doesn't have a 'developmental' league when Hockey and Soccer do? Riiiiiiight.

Why would the NFL or NBA want to challenge the NCAA when it absolves them of all legal risk and having to pay those players?

I thought someone would say that. I'm not sure what the rule is there but it still happens. It seems like a win, win for everyone.

So you're okay with working around the NCAA's stupid, greedy, and ridiculous rules but aren't for getting rid of the NCAA? What does the NCAA do to merit you wanting to keep them around?

Why do you say that?

I was hoping they win.

I think the NCAA right up there with the FIFA and the IOC in terms of corruption and only being concerned with one thing....lining their own pockets.

I thought there were some interesting issues on the table...health care for life if due to injury suffered while playing, 5 year scholarships , being able to be paid for your own likeness etc.

On the flip side, I think scholarships would have become taxable and more " unintended" consequences would have developed.

Interested why you think this is a win

I'd be interested in seeing your definition of corruption.

NCAA athletes are free to join any number of unions after they leave college (like any other student). The smart ones will get their degree (or go pro before that, if they can). The rest weren't really going to benefit from a few thousand dollars per year spending money for their one or few years of sports participation.

You're missing the forest through the trees. The NFL and other pro leagues don't institute their rules regarding eligibility so that players can get educations. They institute those rules because the NCAA provides them a free feeder system (minor league basically) in return. It's collusion.

You realize that's because they enjoy a cozy relationship with the NCAA that they don't poach players. The most popular sport in the US doesn't have a 'developmental' league when Hockey and Soccer do? Riiiiiiight.

Why would the NFL or NBA want to challenge the NCAA when it absolves them of all legal risk and having to pay those players?

:beer:

I think this is an awful decision and I am sure the education lobby had a lot to due with it. These kids make tons of money for their schools. Yes, they get a scholarship to attend the college, but nothing else is covered. They literally have no right to earn any money on their own. If they get injured or hurt, its tough luck.