Another breakdown on TT (Sports on Earth)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice article. It seems like a lot of people have already made up their minds. I'd rather wait through three pre-season games giving all three quarters in both games split by TT and Cassel. Either cut Manuel now, or let him do 4th quarter clean up. After game 3 we'll know if either can be consistent.

Standby for a healthy, yet measured dose of "told ya" from this poster if so.

I don't think you have to wait until Friday to break out the "I told ta so's." It is already obvious that Tyrod was an inspired signing by OBD and you were way ahead of the curve on this one. Nice job.👍 Edited by mannc

Yeah, there were the points made that he didn't see Woods on the blitz and some of the dropped balls... But taking into account his limited snaps during his career and the way they've split up the reps there hasn't been as much opportunity to build up that chemistry. Yes, the point has been made that the league has caught up with the mobile QB and can account for that. The reason I think TT ultimately wins the job is because we all know there has been no clear cut person that has pulled away from the other two, offenses already will have to account for Harvin, Watkins, Woods, McCoy, Clay... Taylor expands a playbook and creates yet another player to have to account for. So unless Manuel or Cassel do something that really puts them ahead of the others , I think its Taylor's job to lose

Tyrod's Preseason Week 1 Grade (per NFL.com)

Buffalo Bills: Tyrod Taylor, QB

GRADE: B

Strengths: Coach Rex Ryan's fascination with Taylor stems from the quarterback's athleticism and improvisational skills. He is a fantastic playmaker on the move, and his ability to escape pressure and also execute designed quarterback runs adds another dimension to the Bills' offense. With a strong running game behind him, Taylor's potential as a dual-threat is problematic for opponents.

Weaknesses: Taylor was electric executing movement-based concepts (bootlegs), but he missed a few deep shots down the field against the Panthers on Friday. Those failed connections are worrisome for an offense that should see a lot of one-on-one coverage on the outside, due to the attention running back LeSean McCoy commands in the backfield.

What he needs to work on: Though this will be his fifth NFL season, Taylor has limited game experience (35 career pass attempts in four years with the Ravens) and needs to show coaches he can handle the pressure of directing starters against the opponent's first-team defense. If he can thrive in that environment, the Bills will feel better about his chances of doing it when things get more intense in a few weeks.

I think the one thing that's stopping me from being convinced is that he did it against a team that wasn't game planning for him. As I said on Friday night, Tyrod is built for the preseason. It's easy to beat a fairly vanilla defense that isn't spying him. Not trying to take everything away from him, just applying regular season context to it.

Using another Roman QB, look at how Kaepernick struggled in the pocket once they knew his habits and how to contain him. It's very rare that a mobile and elusive QB can sustain success at this level without a high level of passing talent. Not saying it's impossible but the Tyrod that exists now might not be allowed to exist come Week 1.

I agree completely with your take. We can't reasonably expect TT to look this way starting off. It's always going to be about his ability to adjust/evolve versus the defense's ability to do the same. He has some skills but if he plays in the regular season the way he played in PSG1, he won't last long physically.

I agree completely with your take. We can't reasonably expect TT to look this way starting off. It's always going to be about his ability to adjust/evolve versus the defense's ability to do the same. He has some skills but if he plays in the regular season the way he played in PSG1, he won't last long physically.

I don't remember him taking any big shots running -- did I miss something?

I don't remember him taking any big shots running -- did I miss something?

He ran six times in a quarter of work. It's not so much that he took "shots" (he did take an awkward hit on the play on the boundry where he stretched for a first down) but the sheer volume of runs. The more a QB runs, the more likely it is that his luck will run out.