Protocol advice request...

The Poojer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh i agree...i suggested my corner bar, The Flying Pig, that is 100% my style and I bring everyone that comes into town there, but yeah, I think they enjoy the finer things in life so I know they know the deal. $60 for meat....wow....that really is out of my comfort level even thinking about that.. the french onion soup and horseradish potatoes really piqued my interest. And yeah, I am not a wine guy, but I love learning about and drinking good wine paired with food. I assume it will be a wine evening which I am perfectly fine with

also agree. when i rarely spend that much, it's for something i can't make at home with ingredients, skills, time and equipment i don't have or can't find. even then it's a stretch to call it value. i'd put my home dry aged ribeye seared on my ceramic grill at 550 degrees against morton's without fear and for about 1/5th the cost but then again someone else is buying…enjoy!

Ok, so played out like I kinda thought. Barely saw the transaction take place. Good meal, service sucked. Ordered the cowboy ribeye but got the center cut. It was DELICIOUS, so didn't even mention it to the server. Now I've got $100 cash in my pocket

Ok, so played out like I kinda thought. Barely saw the transaction take place. Good meal, service sucked. Ordered the cowboy ribeye but got the center cut. It was DELICIOUS, so didn't even mention it to the server. Now I've got $100 cash in my pocket

cheap bastard!

Take them out for a McFlurry

For the record, I do not agree with this. If they insist on going to Mortons, order apps, wine, desert etc and the tip starts to become large... I do not sbelieve in any way, shape or form PooJ should be expected to pick it up. I mean tip could be pushing $60- $80.

Again, they want to go to Mortons, they are not expecting PooJ to contribute.

Offering to pay a portion of tip I think is cheesy, and less than 20% will put the couple in an akward position.

PooJ, nothing wrong with being preemptive and suggesting a cocktail at the bar pre dinner with a statement of ..." So nice of you all to invite me out tonight, at least let me get drinks before dinner"

Then no worries at end of dinner

I didn't say he should be expected to pay the tip... Just (to clarify) if it were me- I would insist on at least covering the tip (min 20%) to show gratitude.... But that's just me

Get 5- $20 scratch off tickets and swing for the fences....

By not offering to pay or cover the tip, I'm sure you just failed the test... Hope that friend wasn't a steady piece of ass...

No, I didn't fail any tests. I was praised up and down all night by my hosts, heard back from my friends afterwards and the reports were glowing as to how nice of a time we all had. We were joined at dinner by one of my friends aunts, my hosts sister/sister-in-law, so some of the pressure was alleviated by that.

I'm still full.

I didn't say he should be expected to pay the tip... Just (to clarify) if it were me- I would insist on at least covering the tip (min 20%) to show gratitude.... But that's just me

Get 5- $20 scratch off tickets and swing for the fences....

By not offering to pay or cover the tip, I'm sure you just failed the test... Hope that friend wasn't a steady piece of ass...

food was terrific, probably the best steak i have ever eaten by a long shot. service was very questionable...they claimed to be surprisingly busy but there weren't more than 6 tables occupied. As I thought about the whole offering to pay the tip part, it dawned on me that that is kind of awkward in and of itself...one of the points to be taken out and treated to dinner is so that you do not have to worry about what it costs...but if you are offering to pay the tip, you need to know how much they spent, at least ballpark, to leave an acceptable tip.

I wish I had seen this thread yesterday. I used to be a regular at mortons on work-expensed trips. I fondly recall once ordering a 4-pound lobster!

he's hung like a frigging horse! B-)

Did you spend the cash on a hooker.

Your friend, is he good looking?

Lol

like i said, i ordered the bone-in(cowboy/tomahawk) ribeye, but got the center boneless cut, I was being treated so I didn't say anything, but the other guest did notice and asked quietly if I was ok with it to which i responded that it tasted awesome and was VERY happy with it. then the waiter disappeared before our dessert and it took forever. the hosts definitely took note and even commented when he finally came by that we 'can't be here all night'. They considered taking the dessert to go, but when it came and they dug into the key lime pie, they couldn't bring themselves from eating it then and there. I waffled between the creme brulee and the NY Cheesecake., opted for the cheesecake and when it came with a hardened carameled sugar coating on the top, i figured I got the best of both worlds of brulee and cheesecake. it was outstanding. the only issue was the speed of service, the waiter was incredibly personable and helpful in explaining how and what to order....

I know some people who turn their noses up at morton's because it's a chain or their sides are obnoxious, etc-- and prefer mom and pop places.

But I have never been disappointed with the food there. Steaks are unreal; sides are great. Desserts are really good too. If I was super rich, I would be there once a week.

like i said, i ordered the bone-in(cowboy/tomahawk) ribeye, but got the center boneless cut, I was being treated so I didn't say anything, but the other guest did notice and asked quietly if I was ok with it to which i responded that it tasted awesome and was VERY happy with it. then the waiter disappeared before our dessert and it took forever. the hosts definitely took note and even commented when he finally came by that we 'can't be here all night'. They considered taking the dessert to go, but when it came and they dug into the key lime pie, they couldn't bring themselves from eating it then and there. I waffled between the creme brulee and the NY Cheesecake., opted for the cheesecake and when it came with a hardened carameled sugar coating on the top, i figured I got the best of both worlds of brulee and cheesecake. it was outstanding. the only issue was the speed of service, the waiter was incredibly personable and helpful in explaining how and what to order....

So no McFlurry/Blizzard? For $100 you could have taken 2 of them to Starbuck's.

I told them next time they are in town, my treat at the flying pig in malvern.

You could have something at your house and I can come grill some of the best critters they never thought they would eat!!! Of course, I wouldn't tell them what it was until after they finished their meal!

You could have something at your house and I can come grill some of the best critters they never thought they would eat!!! Of course, I wouldn't tell them what it was until after they finished their meal!

you know, you should have your own show like on the Discovery channel or Nat Geo...just like Mountain Men or all those shows about people in Alaska.