Protocol advice request...

The Poojer

I must be out of my mind for seeking legit advice after the crap I fling in similar threads, but here goes....

Meeting Parents of a friend of mine for dinner tonight. They are in town from Richmond, they want to take me to dinner at Mortons. I have only met them one or two times so that in and of itself is going to be kind of awkward, but that's ok. They are treating...I am not a Morton's kind of guy, I will actually be surprised if they let a troglodyte like me in the place. Do I offer to pay the tip? I figure I will hit the ATM and come prepared with about $50 in cash(I NEVER carry cash on me). What say y'all?

Also what should I get? Like I said, I have never set foot in Mortons and my steak knowledge is non-existent. Suggestions on cuts? Dishes? Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be out of my mind for seeking legit advice after the crap I fling in similar threads, but here goes....

Meeting Parents of a friend of mine for dinner tonight. They are in town from Richmond, they want to take me to dinner at Mortons. I have only met them one or two times so that in and of itself is going to be kind of awkward, but that's ok. They are treating...I am not a Morton's kind of guy, I will actually be surprised if they let a troglodyte like me in the place. Do I offer to pay the tip? I figure I will hit the ATM and come prepared with about $50 in cash(I NEVER carry cash on me). What say y'all?

Also what should I get? Like I said, I have never set foot in Mortons and my steak knowledge is non-existent. Suggestions on cuts? Dishes? Thanks.

Anything ribeye. See if they have asparagus. Pair with something hearty and red to drink. A cab or somesuch.

I'll second a ribeye cut...make sure you get bone-in...much more flavorful.

And yes, offer to pick up the tip or the alcohol portion of the bill. They'll say no, but at least you offered.

Lastly, let them decide if you're all going to order dessert.

Morton's sides are ala carte and will feed 2-4 people each. If you want them to think you've been to a place like that before, coordinate the sides amongst the table. If you're the only one who likes asparagus, you're going to get an Army-sized pile. Make sure you listen to the specials - sometimes they have some that are really great.

Personally I start with either the French Onion soup or Beefsteak Tomatoes then medium rare Porterhouse with Horseradish mashed potatoes.

On occasion I'll go mixed grill with the filet paired with shrimp and scallops.

It's Morton's. You really can't go wrong. Unless you order above medium rare. If you do that everyone will think you're a neanderthal.

check could easily be 100 per so you may need more than 50 for the tip. i think you'd be wise to offer to pay that and be insistent and ready when the check comes.

as alaska said, sharing is usually a good idea especially when side items are large. makes for a more sociable table. you might consider sharing appetizers with the table - things like artichoke dip work well for that.

Tell them you want it well done and then ask for some A1,that will really piss them off.I love dining with snooty types.

Edited by Very wide right

With wine, well over $100 a piece. And Pooj, don't worry bout the prices. If they suggested Mortons, they know the deal. Cowboy ribeye prolly pushing $60 now. So don't order an app and salad cause who the Fug would ever pay $60 for a steak? I agree, that's why I only spend OPM in steak houses.

If they ask about wine you would like, I would defer and say whatever yall suggest I am not a wine guy. If they not getting a bottle, I would ask them glass they would suggest with meal.

And always surprises me the chit beer list most of these steak houses have....but make sure you have wine with the steak.

Also,'paying tip fine, but may cost as much as your meal. If you do offer, you cannot go below 20%!!!! And that is a fact Jack!

Edited by plenzmd1

oh i agree...i suggested my corner bar, The Flying Pig, that is 100% my style and I bring everyone that comes into town there, but yeah, I think they enjoy the finer things in life so I know they know the deal. $60 for meat....wow....that really is out of my comfort level even thinking about that.. the french onion soup and horseradish potatoes really piqued my interest. And yeah, I am not a wine guy, but I love learning about and drinking good wine paired with food. I assume it will be a wine evening which I am perfectly fine with

With wine, well over $100 a piece. And Pooj, don't worry bout the prices. If they suggested Mortons, they know the deal. Cowboy ribeye prolly pushing $60 now. So don't order an app and salad cause who the Fug would ever pay $60 for a steak? I agree, that's why I only spend OPM in steak houses.

If they ask about wine you would like, I would defer and say whatever yall suggest I am not a wine guy. If they not getting a bottle, I would ask them what they would get with meal.

And always surprises me the chit beer list most of these steak houses have....but make sure you have wine with the steak.

oh i agree...i suggested my corner bar, The Flying Pig, that is 100% my style and I bring everyone that comes into town there, but yeah, I think they enjoy the finer things in life so I know they know the deal. $60 for meat....wow....that really is out of my comfort level even thinking about that.. the french onion soup and horseradish potatoes really piqued my interest. And yeah, I am not a wine guy, but I love learning about and drinking good wine paired with food. I assume it will be a wine evening which I am perfectly fine with

Just to clarify, I did not mean to imy don't order the apps,'but don't only order an app and a salad cause we both know that steak ain't worth it....that's why I only use other people's money!

And the 20% is real deal....do not offer to pay tip unless you get to 20%

My suggestion is to offer to pay for the drinks. If they push back, then offer to pay for the tip. 20% is on line.

Only problem with that could be ordering $150 -300 bottle of wine. If so, I would thank them greatly for the evening and offer to buy after drinks at the bar...or offer to cut their grass next time you are in Richmond!

My first thoughts on the money... Get a tater of choice and you are golden... And yes, hit the money machine and insist on paying the tip...

For the record, I do not agree with this. If they insist on going to Mortons, order apps, wine, desert etc and the tip starts to become large... I do not sbelieve in any way, shape or form PooJ should be expected to pick it up. I mean tip could be pushing $60- $80.

Again, they want to go to Mortons, they are not expecting PooJ to contribute.

Offering to pay a portion of tip I think is cheesy, and less than 20% will put the couple in an akward position.

PooJ, nothing wrong with being preemptive and suggesting a cocktail at the bar pre dinner with a statement of ..." So nice of you all to invite me out tonight, at least let me get drinks before dinner"

Then no worries at end of dinner

Edited by plenzmd1