Top 3 defenses, w/o a top 10 QB results in the 21st century

I think Bills fans generally believe the team has an excellent chance to have a top 3 defense this year. I also think fan consensus is that the Bills are unlikely to have a top 10 QB this year.

For this study, I begin with the 2001 season. I define top 10 QBs as the the top 10 highest passer ratings each season. And I am defining top 3 defenses based on yards per played allowed.

There is no perfect one stat for QB or for team defense, but those are what I chose as being fairly good.

Since the 2001 season there have been 25 teams who had a top 3 defense and did not have a top 10 QB

8 of those teams (32%) missed the playoffs.
4 of those teams (16%) lost a wild card game
3 of those teams (12%) lost a divisional playoff game
7 of those teams (28%) lost a conference championship game
2 of those teams (8%) lost the super bowl
1 of those teams (4%) won the super bowl

Clearly there is a difference between having the 11th best QB and the 32nd best QB.

But based on the arbitrary 10th ranked cut off, this century, if you have a top 3 defense you have 40% chance of advancing to the championship game, a 32% chance of finishing out of the playoffs, and a 28% chance of finishing somewhere in between.

post-24566-0-96644200-1438805782_thumb.jpg

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

68% chance...not bad. not bad at all.

Yeah, but 3 of those 8 teams that missed the playoffs were .... Buffalo Bills (including last year). There are odds and there are longer odds.

not good as in 1 out of 100? more like 4 out of 100! so you're saying there's a chance!!!

can we create a robo-qb that has Taylor's athleticism, Manuel's size, and Cassel's intelligence? if anyone has the money to do it it's Pegula

I think we have somewhere around a 50% chance of making the playoffs. Will likely come down to a head-to-head result with another bubble team like the chiefs.

If we do make the playoffs, I think we have a chance to beat just about any team and make it to the super bowl. Seeing as we beat the Packers in their prime last year. Let's just hope our week 15 Bills show up and not week 16 Bills

I think of the 2007 Giants and 2012 Ravens as models for what the Bills could be. Manning and Flacco were not good those years but had great playoff runs capped with SB wins. I don't think either of those defenses qualified as a top 3 but they were certainly a strength.

I think Bills fans generally believe the team has an excellent chance to have a top 3 defense this year. I also think fan consensus is that the Bills are unlikely to have a top 10 QB this year.

For this study, I begin with the 2001 season. I define top 10 QBs as the the top 10 highest passer ratings each season. And I am defining top 3 defenses based on yards per played allowed.

There is no perfect one stat for QB or for team defense, but those are what I chose as being fairly good.

Since the 2001 season there have been 25 teams who had a top 3 defense and did not have a top 10 QB

Clearly there is a difference between having the 11th best QB and the 32nd best QB.

But based on the arbitrary 10th ranked cut off, this century, if you have a top 3 defense you have 40% chance of advancing to the championship game, a 32% chance of finishing out of the playoffs, and a 28% chance of finishing somewhere in between.

Hey.... This is good analysis... well thought out.

So...we're doomed.

Of course the flipside is that two teams on that list who did get in and went deep in to the playoffs featured a Rex Ryan defense - Ravens & Jests. So maybe there's hope.

very nice work. would love to see you re-do this analysis to filter results for teams with:

top 5 defense (yds/snap)

top 10 rushing attack (rush avg)

bottom 10 qb (qbr)

Another not insignificant factor is the division you play in. Some years 8-8 or even 7-9 teams get in from weak divisions. In a smallish sample size that can distort things.

What do have for the best defense in all of football, top special teams in the NFL, with mediocre QBing but explosive playmakers at the skill positions?

What if you have a top 3 defense and a former pro bowl QB starting for you?

I know people don't think much of Cassel but he is very capable of a 90+ rating when things around him are good.

15 years of no playoffs for the bills......at this moment in time I would live with a wildcard loss

What if you have a top 3 defense and a former pro bowl QB starting for you?

I know people don't think much of Cassel but he is very capable of a 90+ rating when things around him are good.

I hope you are right and I very much like our chances!

very nice work. would love to see you re-do this analysis to filter results for teams with:

top 5 defense (yds/snap)

top 10 rushing attack (rush avg)

bottom 10 qb (qbr)

Interesting, but, I am just guessing the results would be as close as the original filter.