Revis says Bills told him they were going to draft him in 07

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about the actual discussions in the Bills War Room that year, but I'm always very wary of any player who says something like that, especially around midway through the first round. They may have said if you're there we are very likely to take you, but that is how their draft board looks at the time, and there are always a lot of surprises in the first round. So guys they didn't expect to be there are there and they are taken instead. Plus I believe players take nuanced information from teams and then hear it as fact. Like "We're very interested in taking you" means "We're taking you" when it really doesn't.

I know nothing about the actual discussions in the Bills War Room that year, but I'm always very wary of any player who says something like that, especially around midway through the first round. They may have said if you're there we are very likely to take you, but that is how their draft board looks at the time, and there are always a lot of surprises in the first round. So guys they didn't expect to be there are there and they are taken instead. Plus I believe players take nuanced information from teams and then hear it as fact. Like "We're very interested in taking you" means "We're taking you" when it really doesn't.

Where's Leroi or Kipers Hair?

I can confirm that the Bills had it narrowed down to 2 players and they were Revis and Lynch. That is pretty good when you are talking about 2 HOF players. The Bills loved his physicality. "He had a little thug in his game" was how they viewed him. There were other corners that people were high on (specifically Leon Hall) but Revis was the Bills guy. There was a lot of back and forth on which guy it was going to be.

I can confirm that the Bills had it narrowed down to 2 players and they were Revis and Lynch. That is pretty good when you are talking about 2 HOF players. The Bills loved his physicality. "He had a little thug in his game" was how they viewed him. There were other corners that people were high on (specifically Leon Hall) but Revis was the Bills guy. There was a lot of back and forth on which guy it was going to be.

And then there were none...

Indeed...I'd heard that as well (about Revis). In fact, I thought he was the pick right up until Bruce read the card.

I believe that. I'm just not sure about what the actual words said to Revis were. I tend to doubt they were as definitive as "if you are there we are going to draft you."

Makes sense because his name was definitely atop the rumor list back then. Is it true that it was Ralph who swayed the pick towards Lynch?

I believe that. I'm just not sure about what the actual words said to Revis were. I tend to doubt they were as definitive as "if you are there we are going to draft you."

I do not know what was said to him. I just know that it was one of the two and there was some internal division. In hindsight they are both HOF players. I would not be surprised though if he had a pretty strong sense that they were going to take him. To tell you the truth, I expected him to be the pick.

Makes sense because his name was definitely atop the rumor list back then. Is it true that it was Ralph who swayed the pick towards Lynch?

That I am not positive of (to tell you the truth I don't remember the details). Ralph really was not involved much at all late in life (Littman kind of spoke on his behalf).

Perhaps you know the answer to this: I always had the sense that the Bills really wanted Patrick Willis who was taken one pick before Lynch.

Any idea whether that is correct?

That I am not positive of (to tell you the truth I don't remember the details). Ralph really was not involved much at all late in life (Littman kind of spoke on his behalf).

We know the story how it was Ralph that "pushed" the Rodney Wright pick, but I recall seeing something that the '07 draft was a close call and RW swayed the pick. You could be right that it was RW's team that pushed the Lynch pick, since Littman would need to pony up for a McGahee contract extension in a year.

Edited by GG

Perhaps you know the answer to this: I always had the sense that the Bills really wanted Patrick Willis who was taken one pick before Lynch.

Any idea whether that is correct?

I think that they liked him but the media thought that they liked him more than they did. If all 3 were on the board I am pretty sure that Willis would not have been the pick.

We know the story how it was Ralph that "pushed" the Rodney Wright pick, but I recall seeing something that the '07 draft was a close call and RW swayed the pick. You could be right that it was RW's team that pushed the Lynch pick, since Littman would need to pony up for a McGahee contract extension in a year.

Very possible, Littman had a LOT of power until Brandon took full control in 2013 (or whatever it was). Way, way more power than most people realize (or than was ever reported). Ultimately, he (on behalf of RW) signed off on pretty much all decisions.

I think that they liked him but the media thought that they liked him more than they did. If all 3 were on the board I am pretty sure that Willis would not have been the pick.

Thanks.

I remember being excited about getting Willis and the, of course, he got picked just before us.

As an aside, I was watching the NFL Channel last night. They had the Steelers practice on. As I was watching Big Ben being interview by Mayock, I kept on thinking (as I always do) just how different the Bills would have been if Tom Donohoe had been able to get his man. (As I recall, we really wanted him).

P.S. The Steeler QBs (and their OC) also were doing the garbage can drill last night. They were having a lot of fun with it. Ben had the day off and was the guy near the cans awarding guys points.