"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

I can see the frustration Marrone might have needed to endure with EJ's, Jeff Tuel's, and Thaddeus Lewis's lack of development because the dimwit caused most of it himself by not hiring a QB coach nor having a seasoned veteran QB on the roster the first season. A vet QB / coach that the players can go to after a series and discuss what transpired good or bad.

Players need constant input during the course of a game, week, month, season. They need film study by competent coaches after every game to break down every play to see what happened during the course of each series. Like with the all 22 films the players need to watch things over and over to see how defenses will react to each play, and what happened on the field so they can be ready the next time they run that play.

Most important of all they need actual game experience! Then someone coaching them competent enough to diagnose what went right or wrong on each play, series, game. Its almost darned near impossible to learn the NFL ropes or any difficult job all on your own, and EJ was on his own that first season.

The only real NFL help EJ got in doing his job over the last two years was from Vet QB Kyle Orton, and he was probably teaching Hackett his job too. I think it says a lot to me that a big part of Marrone's decision to opt out was because Orton was 100% gone, and not coming back. Marrone called him again to make certain he was retiring for good. No offense to Todd Downing but it must have been a very difficult job dealing with Hackett as OC.

QB Teddy Bridgewater has an actual NFL offensive genius tutoring him on a decent team, and a man who has been a coach at every level. His best ability is being an offensive coordinator no question, and as an HC not so great. This same man tutored at least one NFL QB in Troy Aikman into a pro bowl player, and a super bowl champion.

The name Derek Carr was also brought up, and how did that rook fare against the fiercest pass rush in the NFL against the Buffalo Bills?? Oh 2x .5 sacks by the Williams Bros, Kyle & Mario for a grand total of ONE. Carr went 17 for 34 for 214 yards, and 2 TD's with no INT's against the #4 ranked defense in the NFL. I'd have to say that Raider O line gave the kid time to make plays. I'd have to say that Orton was sacked 2x and hit far more often playing against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Jeez, Buffalo did throw 49 times in that game with 3 TD's, 2 INT's with a grand total of an impressive 13 rushes for 13 yards against the 2-13 Raiders !! You know that unbelievably great Raider team with the 32nd ranked defense in points allowed. Naturally the Raiders defense was better against the pass then the run, so the brain trust at OBD threw it more then they ran it.

The stupidity emanating from last years offensive coaching staff was mind boggling at times. You could bet that if the opposing defense was good at something the Bills coaches would try to best it, and if they were bad at something they would ignore it. Game after game i was amazed that Orton was able to do so much with so little coaching help around him, and in my view he basically carried the entire offense every week despite the bad coaching.

I honestly don't know how good EJ will be or if he will ever elevate himself into a decent starting NFL QB. I'm pulling for the kid,and I think he has a much improved OC, and a decent offensive team around him this year. Not great, but perhaps enough for him to play well.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you considering 1st down passing in a 1 score game an actual stat? Tell me you're joking right? Is that how low people have to dig just to find something he isn't at the bottom of the league in?

What's next? EJ is the best in the league on 2nd and 8 when the wind is blowing 6 mph from the east?

EXPAND your mind young man. I consider a 75% completion rate as a GOOD thing and ignoring it is ridiculous.

Since when do you fix what isn't broken and stick with what doesn't work???? unless your name is Doug Marone

When given time to throw, EJ still managed to miss wide open receivers, at times.

I suppose he could get worse if he throws it straight up in the air and hopes for the best.

So how do you explain the 75% completion ratio? unless 25%=all the time

Dang Chan, I'd hope Orton would be better than EJ seeing that he has 10 years more experience. I think the basic premise of all the "EJ lovers" is that the guy showed flashes in 14 games and feel that it is too early to throw in the towel on him. Also, how funny it is that QBs like Derek Carr, Bortles, Mallett and numerous others have basically the same statistical data as EJ, yet they have upside and Manuel doesn't.

it is frikken hilarious!!! that's what it is

And don't forget, he made it through a whole season uninjured.

is that a joke of some kind? I don't get it. please explain

let me ask....

the sophomore slump is expected in all players but QB right?

Are you going to completely ignore the metrics that show playcalling between EJ Manuel and Orton were different?

and

Are you going to completely ignore that as each game went by Orton became more and more inaccurate with his throws to go along with complete lack of mobility?

THe idea is not to settle for a certain level of Meh

The idea is to see if one of our young QBs actually getting playing time and developing into something more?

Except your not clear

The idea is to play the best players. Playcalling was different? Maybe because Orton didn't have either of his starting RB's for half the season. Or maybe because he didn't have his starting LG. Or maybe because he was better. What was different about the plays?

Orton got worse as the season went on. That's not a strange phenomenon for veteran QB's. He was still, from start to finish, overall better than EJ.

What is unclear?

Edited by FireChan

FireChan, on 23 Jul 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

The idea is to play the best players.

What is unclear?

You're wonderfully predictable. Don't you ever change. :lol:

predictable or unmovable or just plain .......

funny that Orton kept playing when most (95%+) have admitted KO was bad in the end. .

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

something something JJ Watt

And "eye test" (still undefeated on TBD)

I love the eye test. It never fails. I enjoy telling my friends certain women I can get at the bar. When they ask how I know, eye test. When they ask me to prove it, I simply say no and that the eye test is good enough.

No I just had to go back to work....I will watch the rest of it later

You do realize that other QBs in the league also miss wide open receivers at times......

When you are looking at a limited body of work (and lets face it....the kid doesnt even have a full 16 starts....then you have to look a limited body of work and make your evaluations off of that.

What I do realize is that every QB can make an errant throw. EJ misses them far more than most. I have seen him throw it too far, too short, ahead of the receiver, and behind the receiver, despite his limited time on the field. If he had trouble reading defenses, I would expect growth in his game, but that's not his primary issue. It's throwing accuracy. Not sure how that can be correctable.

For another example, Geno Smith has been a likewise disaster, but his issue is reading the D, which results in lots of picks. However, Geno's accuracy is much better when he is not fooled. No idea whether Geno will get better, but I can't see EJ, all of a sudden becoming an accurate thrower. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Edited by Kemp

EXPAND your mind young man. I consider a 75% completion rate as a GOOD thing and ignoring it is ridiculous.

Since when do you fix what isn't broken and stick with what doesn't work???? unless your name is Doug Marone

So how do you explain the 75% completion ratio? unless 25%=all the time

it is frikken hilarious!!! that's what it is

is that a joke of some kind? I don't get it. please explain

let me ask....

the sophomore slump is expected in all players but QB right?

Unfortunately not a joke, but perhaps his most impressive accomplishment last season.

What is the "sophomore slump"?

How many of those QB's had their WR's mutiny on them?

How has this supposition suddenly become fact? Because somebody noticed a little bit of bad body language out of Robert Woods?

The lengths to which people will go to be "right"....

How has this supposition suddenly become fact? Because somebody noticed a little bit of bad body language out of Robert Woods?

Is a well known fact that body language is interpreted using the eye test and the eye test is irrefutable.

Haha. Woods is a good young player but he has trouble controlling himself. See punching a player when the team was short handed and getting kicked out in the 1st quarter.

Do you believe they didn't? It's not like it's completely unfounded.

You don't remember the Tampa Bay Mutiny?

The WR's tied up EJ and threatened to throw him off the plank of the Bucs' ship!

No one knows where they got real swords and eye patches...

True story.