"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

Do you believe they didn't? It's not like it's completely unfounded.

So let me get this straight. Because Woods looked upset because of his body language, he rallied the other WR's to start screwing up their routes and timing all to get EJ replaced?

Is that right?

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight. Because Woods looked upset because of his body language, he rallied the other WR's to start screwing up their routes and timing all to get EJ replaced?

Is that right?

who'd a thunk it? :ph34r:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

look at you being creative :thumbsup:

Unfortunately not a joke, but perhaps his most impressive accomplishment last season.

What is the "sophomore slump"?

seriously?

2ny year players not being as productive as their rookie season. Some overcome it in their 3rd season.

You're just as predictable, fyi.

aren't we all?

Yes. I am guilty of dishing it out when provoked to certain people.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

who'd a thunk it? :ph34r:

look at you being creative :thumbsup:

seriously?

2ny year players not being as productive as their rookie season. Some overcome it in their 3rd season.

aren't we all?

Yes. I am guilty of dishing it out when provoked to certain people.

And this happens in "all players", you say?

This Carr hype is unreal. He wasn't good at all. He was worse than EJ as a rookie in most categories.

Of course right now, EJ's value is down. Where was Alex Smith's value before Harbaugh/ Roman? Then he got traded for 2 2nd rounders. Things can change.

And is there one GM that would trade Norv Turner for Nate Hackett?

Honest question: would EJ be a better qb if he had Turner his first 2 years instead of Hackett? Because I don't think there's a question he would be.

That's what gets me. It's not that I think EJ has been amazing, it's that when I look at the numbers of most of the expected project QBs in the last few drafts, those numbers are right up there with Tannehill, Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr.

Hell, take a look at Tannehill's first 16 ganes: 58.3% completion rating, 12 TD and 13 INT. The 6.8 YPA is slightly better, but I'm not seeing how EJ is unsalvagable, but Tannehill is worth a $100+M contract.

And this happens in "all players", you say?

having trouble reading?

Some overcome it in their 3rd season

That's what gets me. It's not that I think EJ has been amazing, it's that when I look at the numbers of most of the expected project QBs in the last few drafts, those numbers are right up there with Tannehill, Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr.

Hell, take a look at Tannehill's first 16 ganes: 58.3% completion rating, 12 TD and 13 INT. The 6.8 YPA is slightly better, but I'm not seeing how EJ is unsalvagable, but Tannehill is worth a $100+M contract.

HGH my friend

Because Tannehill played 30 more.

The stupidity emanating from last years offensive coaching staff was mind boggling at times. You could bet that if the opposing defense was good at something the Bills coaches would try to best it, and if they were bad at something they would ignore it.

Loved this entire post, especially the bolded - SO true!

something something JJ Watt

And "eye test" (still undefeated on TBD)

:beer:

What I do realize is that every QB can make an errant throw. EJ misses them far more than most. I have seen him throw it too far, too short, ahead of the receiver, and behind the receiver, despite his limited time on the field. If he had trouble reading defenses, I would expect growth in his game, but that's not his primary issue. It's throwing accuracy. Not sure how that can be correctable.

For another example, Geno Smith has been a likewise disaster, but his issue is reading the D, which results in lots of picks. However, Geno's accuracy is much better when he is not fooled. No idea whether Geno will get better, but I can't see EJ, all of a sudden becoming an accurate thrower. Hopefully, I am wrong.

While I know EJ is not the MOST accurate guy in the world, I have a tough time putting ALL inaccurate throws on him. How do we know it wasn't on the receivers / the routes? How do we know it wasn't poor design of the offensive scheme? How do we know any of the O was actually being taught correctly to any of the players?

Guess the fun part of this offseason (and maybe season) we're going to see if it's correctable! Just because you don't see how it can be corrected, doesn't mean it can't be...

So then you believe that EJ simply needs to play 30 more games to get better, just as Tannehill did?

Nah.

Pretty much the definition of mutiny sooooo yea you did.

Definition of mutiny is "he rallied the other WR's to start screwing up their routes and timing all to get EJ replaced?"

Nope. You know what I mean. Your dishonesty is outstanding.

Edited by FireChan

Because Tannehill played 30 more.

So then you believe that EJ simply needs to play 30 more games to get better, just as Tannehill did?

Nah.

Then your answer to Whitewalker's post is disingenuous, or--in the very least--misleading.

Tannehill isn't a $100M QB because he played 30 more games, otherwise the answer to my question would be "yes".

Unless, of course, what you meant to say was that Tannehill proved himself to be capable of leading an offense at some point during the subsequent 30 games, which I doubt you'd say, because then you'd be opening yourself up to the idea that Manuel could [gasp] need more time to develop, just as Tannehill did.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone that believes that EJ is both (a) capable and (b) unlikely to become a franchise QB.

Nah.

Definition of mutiny is "he rallied the other WR's to start screwing up their routes and timing all to get EJ replaced?"

Nope. You know what I mean. Your dishonesty is outstanding.

Apparently I didn't know what you meant when you said mutiny. Your words not mine. That is mutiny. Anyways, other than Woods having a bad mouthed body, where were the other examples of WR's being verbally or body languagy upset with EJ?

And thanks for the dishonesty shot.

Then your answer to Whitewalker's post is disingenuous, or--in the very least--misleading.

Tannehill isn't a $100M QB because he played 30 more games, otherwise the answer to my question would be "yes".

Unless, of course, what you meant to say was that Tannehill proved himself to be capable of leading an offense at some point during the subsequent 30 games, which I doubt you'd say, because then you'd be opening yourself up to the idea that Manuel could [gasp] need more time to develop, just as Tannehill did.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone that believes that EJ is both (a) capable and (b) unlikely to become a franchise QB.

Thanks bandit, I'm pretty much in the same boat. EJ is almost certainly not going to be a top 5 QB next year.

That said, using Tannehill as a reference (as a note, he was erratic as hell season 2) I would take 60.6% completion rate, 245 YPG, 24 TD 17 INT in a heartbeat with our D and running backs. I'm not saying we're going to get that from EJ but even erratic improvement might just push us over the edge.

If you aren't good enough, you don't start 44 games with the same team. They move on or you get benched. Playing more games is a direct result of Tanny proving himself.

Thanks bandit, I'm pretty much in the same boat. EJ is almost certainly not going to be a top 5 QB next year.

That said, using Tannehill as a reference (as a note, he was erratic as hell season 2) I would take 60.6% completion rate, 245 YPG, 24 TD 17 INT in a heartbeat with our D and running backs. I'm not saying we're going to get that from EJ but even erratic improvement might just push us over the edge.

I totally agree with you. And I dint have time now, but EJ's stats against the AFC East are very good. We would make the playoffs if he could average those stats good.

Apparently I didn't know what you meant when you said mutiny. Your words not mine. That is mutiny. Anyways, other than Woods having a bad mouthed body, where were the other examples of WR's being verbally or body languagy upset with EJ?

And thanks for the dishonesty shot.

Sammy not finishing his routes. Every comment made by the WR's about the QB switch, "much more command of the huddle/quicker release." It was clear there was some dissatisfaction towards the QB and the switch was welcome. That's what I meant by mutiny. They lost confidence and a switch was made.

I did not mean to imply they forced a switch by binding EJ's hands and throwing Orton on the field. Sorry if that's what you thought.

Edited by FireChan

If you aren't good enough, you don't start 44 games with the same team. They move on or you get benched. Playing more games is a direct result of Tanny proving himself.

So he somehow proved himself worthy of starting 30 more games by his play over his first 16 games, despite having a nearly identical winning percentage, completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, QB rating, and YPA, to EJ over that time period?

Do you honestly think that? Because that, to me, sounds crazy.