Obama about to open the jail cells

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most non-violent drug offenders shouldn't be in prison to begin with, neither should a large amount of "third strike" lifers, nor should many individuals serving penalties associated with mandatory minimums.

Incarceration, as it is currently applied in the US, is an incredible waste of tax dollars. It is also, in many cases, completely unjust.

Once again your sophomoric views on drug abuse and drug dealing keep you blind to reality.You dismiss any connection between drug abuse and theft which solidly lands you in the clueless column.Your other argument is that somehow as a society it's a bargain to release all of the non-violent CRIMINALS(lmao) from jail because we all know that they will all magically become law abiding citizens and never break the law again.As I said in my earlier post, you need to scratch below the surface of these silly liberal points because they ALWAYS fall apart under scrutiny.Furthermore,I don't know why I am wasting my time here because I have come to realize I am arguing with people who are not only misguided but either 15 years old or unemployed people that sit around all day long posting on this message board.Good luck and enjoy the state checks,I'm done here.

Once again your sophomoric views on drug abuse and drug dealing keep you blind to reality.You dismiss any connection between drug abuse and theft which solidly lands you in the clueless column.Your other argument is that somehow as a society it's a bargain to release all of the non-violent CRIMINALS(lmao) from jail because we all know that they will all magically become law abiding citizens and never break the law again.As I said in my earlier post, you need to scratch below the surface of these silly liberal points because they ALWAYS fall apart under scrutiny.Furthermore,I don't know why I am wasting my time here because I have come to realize I am arguing with people who are not only misguided but either 15 years old or unemployed people that sit around all day long posting on this message board.Good luck and enjoy the state checks,I'm done here.

This might be one of the most staggeringly dumb things I've read on this board. And there have been a LOT of staggeringly dumb things posted on this board before.

This might be one of the most staggeringly dumb things I've read on this board. And there have been a LOT of staggeringly dumb things posted on this board before.

Really? It's not even the dumbest thing I've read this evening.

He's releasing them, but their convictions still stand, so no, none of them will receive the franchise. Convicted felons cannot vote. Further, my understanding of the situation is the most (possibly all?) of these individuals were sentenced when at a time when the penalties for the crimes they committed were much harsher, and that the sentences they are currently serving don't align with those currently administered by our justice system for the same exact crimes. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this.

convicted felons can vote.

you can vote while incarcerated in a few votes, as well.

http://www.nonprofitvote.org/voting-as-an-ex-offender/

So, yes, he can get votes from felons and all those he releases... assuming they're not too busy breaking the law.

Obama just spoke before the NAACP and stated that he would be the first sitting president to visit a federal prison and stated that the felons should be able to vote.Of course this was met with cheers by those in attendance because we all know the minority population is incarcerated simply because they are minorities.Looks like my "speculation" is growing legs.

see above, felons can vote.

Most non-violent drug offenders shouldn't be in prison to begin with, neither should a large amount of "third strike" lifers, nor should many individuals serving penalties associated with mandatory minimums.

Incarceration, as it is currently applied in the US, is an incredible waste of tax dollars. It is also, in many cases, completely unjust.

it creates millions of jobs, it wins elections because those folks are tough on crime, and the privatized prison industry is growing huge.

Prison visit an "Empty Gesture"

Yet Obama — for all the recent talk concerning penal reform — has been slow to the cause. Yes, he did double his number of commutations this week, but, according to 538, his “pardon rate still remains the lowest of all recent presidents” at 3.3 percent. If Obama truly wanted to reduce the sentences of incarcerated people, he could do so with the stroke of a pen.

Further, while Obama called for reducing the length of mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent street crimes and urged states to both restore voting rights for felons and reconsider solitary confinement conditions, there is little indication that any of his proposed reforms will come to fruition, or that he will even push for them.

There are also no plans for the Obama administration to introduce legislation to Congress. Instead, Obama appears to be waiting for Congress to make the first legislative move.

Moreover, the modest reforms Obama proposed will do little to aggressively tackle the carceral crisis that has imprisoned 2.2 million people in the U.S. — the highest rate among industrialized countries.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/17/obamas-visit-prison-empty-gesture/

tasker, was the judge right?

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/police-courts/police-prosecutors-outraged-at-low-bail-for-accused-heroin-dealer-20150718

Police and prosecutors are fuming about a judge’s decision to set bail at $20,000 for a twice-arrested, accused heroin dealer, found in possession of 2,100 bags of opiates, while a deadly heroin epidemic rages in the community.

Not only was bail too low, they say, but the prosecutor was not allowed to make a recommendation.

And the kind of heroin-fentanyl mixture that the dealer is accused of selling is similar to an especially lethal batch responsible for a recent spike in overdoses that led to at least one death.

Just a few hours after Buffalo City Court Judge Betty Calvo-Torres set the $20,000 bail for Dellsean Hamilton on Thursday afternoon, he made bail and was back on the streets, despite the fact that the overdose death of a Concord man led to Hamilton’s arrest. What’s more, Hamilton already was out on bail for a similar drug arrest in Cheektowaga.

Talk about solidly landing in the clueless column - he hasn't dismissed the connection between between drug abuse and theft, he just doesn't automatically presume that all drug users are thieves, which you are apparently doing. And you have never heard of non-violent criminals? The thing that makes me laugh is that you are automatically associating theft with all drug use, and violence with all crime, and then telling Tasker that he needs to 'scratch below the surface', as if you're the one who's actually doing any kind of nuanced thinking. What you're doing is painting with a very broad brush, and if the justice system worked the way your logic does, then kids getting busted for a bag of weed would automatically be charged with larceny as well.

You face disagreement with your thought process, so what do you do? You apply the exact same 'logic', lumping everyone else as being 'misguided', '15 years old', or 'unemployed', only because your shallow intellect and limited thought process is unable to compute any of this. Which, once again, is exactly what you're accusing Tasker of doing.

So your saying the US is correct by standing alone with an incarceration rate many times higher than EVERY other country....is that compassionate conservatism or American Exceptionalism?

So your saying the US is correct by standing alone with an incarceration rate many times higher than EVERY other country....is that compassionate conservatism or American Exceptionalism?

Please provide a link for your statement. You're making claims that I doubt are correct. While you are at it, lay off your weak liberal attempts to make fun of things your liberal mind obviously can't comprehend.

Please provide a link for your statement. You're making claims that I doubt are correct. While you are at it, lay off your weak liberal attempts to make fun of things your liberal mind obviously can't comprehend.

Typing on ipad so forgivevthe typos - awesome burn tho! Someone as well versed as you the subject should be well aware of US inceration rates vs the rest of the world....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Incarceration_rates_worldwide.gif

Edited by baskin

Looks like Obama will have to open the jail cell of his gay pedophile bundler.

If a gay pedophile who sodomizes a 15-year-old boy in a hotel room is a Democrat, does it make a noise in the media?

Judge says Obama gay pedophile bundler can't pay the kid off and walk away.

What a country. Where Democrats dodge criminal charges with civil agreements, but Republicans are considered criminals if subject to civil agreements.

I'm more than a little surprised that the Democrats, when they had the chance, didn't pass legislation simply outlawing the Republican Party.

Just another example of a non-violent prisoner. Overdoses? that's nuthin. Apparently this judge thinks like some of the geniuses here.So you see, selling drugs IS a violent crime.

Edited by Very wide right

Talk about solidly landing in the clueless column - he hasn't dismissed the connection between between drug abuse and theft,

I'll also opine that it's hilarious that you've lumped burglary, a violent crime, in with non-violent offenses.

Reads like a dismissal to me.

Edited by Very wide right