The GOP Nomination--The Donald and So Much More!

That's not Stewart's fault that a certain portion of the audience aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. But it IS Fox's fault that the less sharp members of their audience think they're watching unbiased news when they tune in... because, you know, it's called FOX NEWS -- fair and balanced.

So it's a nightly program where he sits behind a desk and talks about current events but it's not the news. Ooookay.

Wow, this thread went sideways with that Stewart post.

Look, the only reason this Obama/Stewart story matters is because Stewart is now considered one in a long list of progressive nutsuckers who had no problem compromising their position to further the agenda of a sitting president.

You simply can not watch anything Stewart does now without immediately asking the question: "Wow...did Obama put him up to this?"

Way to go out on with a whimper, Stewart.

Wow, this thread went sideways with that Stewart post.

Look, the only reason this Obama/Stewart story matters is because Stewart is now considered one in a long list of progressive nutsuckers who had no problem compromising their position to further the agenda of a sitting president.

You simply can not watch anything Stewart does now without immediately asking the question: "Wow...did Obama put him up to this?"

Way to go out on with a whimper, Stewart.

You've got it all wrong, man. He's JUST a comedian and not a cheerleader of the left and their causes. :doh:

You've got it all wrong, man. He's JUST a comedian and not a cheerleader of the left and their causes. :doh:

And if he is who the !@#$ cares. Well Greggy does, but other than him.

Edited by Chef Jim

I went through the same thing with Bill Maher and Politically Incorrect.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch it at times for it's comedic value. **** is just funny, doesn't matter who he's ragging on, but you just gotta keep in mind that he is typically taking on the right to help the left and that he is an advocate for a number of liberal causes. You've gotta be a real lemming to not see that.

Me too, but I had to let that one go before they even left Comedy Central. Between Maher and the all-to-frequent guest Matthew Perry, I was getting a massively unhealthy dose of smarm.

You've gotta be a real lemming to not see that.

X2

There are literally hundreds of clips where he talks about his personal politics. He does not have to hide his politics because he's a comedian, not an impartial source of news. Go through their archive, you'll find plenty.

I've watched the Daily Show, too, and I've read or seen his interviews with other media. Stewart carries a pretense that he just "goes where the comedy leads him" and it just-so-happens that the Right is more ridiculous and it's funnier to lampoon them. As a Stewart expert, do you not agree that he's held this pretense?

From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure it matters. Most people have more or less figured out that The Daily Show is a progressive show and that Fox News leans Republican. The guests sure have.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch it at times for it's comedic value. **** is just funny, doesn't matter who he's ragging on, but you just gotta keep in mind that he is typically taking on the right to help the left and that he is an advocate for a number of liberal causes. You've gotta be a real lemming to not see that.

Because there is more than enough material from both sides to keep his show going but he focuses on the right. I'm assuming this seeing I don't watch it. :D

I think that Maher has been dialing it back in with Real Time and is also not afraid to disagree with the left far more than Stewart does. Maher is also much more upfront about his personal views and beliefs and how they shape the show, which is also a comedy show about politics.

That's not Stewart's fault that a certain portion of the audience aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. But it IS Fox's fault that the less sharp members of their audience think they're watching unbiased news when they tune in... because, you know, it's called FOX NEWS -- fair and balanced.

I would say there are very few people watching Fox News who don't know where they stand.

CNN, CBS, NBC, etc are far more dangerous in that regard.

I think that Maher has been dialing it back in with Real Time and is also not afraid to disagree with the left far more than Stewart does. Maher is also much more upfront about his personal views and beliefs and how they shape the show, which is also a comedy show about politics.

Agreed. I also respect Maher's views on Muslims.

To be honest, Maher is not on the same page with liberals on a number of causes. Sure, he hates the religious right and that is what motivates him comically more than anything, but I've seen him go off script on a number of occasions.

Edited by Magox

Fox News is a news channel. Don't confuse their talk shows with their news shows.

That's another misnomer that many lemmings like to parrot. Sure, they have plenty of opinion shows that veer pretty far to the right, but they provide as much as "news" as any other cable news network.

A more accurate statement would be "none of the news networks really provide that much news".

Jon Stewart pretended to be impartial throughout the Bush Presidency.He stated several times in interviews that his goal as a comedian was to lampoon those in charge. (A traditionally American right)

Only after Obama's election did Stewart openly admit that he was a liberal by refusing to parody the left. He betrayed his audience when he remained focused on bashing conservatives, who (at the time) had lost control of every branch of government. (in essence he was gleefully kicking a wounded dog). Being a (former) Daily show fan, I was sickened with his unabashed bias. Once he was able to show his true allegiances, he fully embraced his role as a progressive puppet.

Reading through this thread, he played his role perfectly. He has been allowed to spread his propaganda unhindered by the limiting constraint of facts simply by labeling it comedy. He could go on air today and accuse any conservative candidate of any number of imaginary offenses (and has done so in the past) and people wouldn't think twice about it.

As far as his influence in shaping political opinions? We're talking about a population where the majority still believe Tina Fey is Sarah Palin. Comedy Central is their primary source of news.

Except, you are wrong. People look to not only get comedy BUT their NEWS as well when they watch the daily show. Try to get that through your thick skull, lemming.

Holy ****, you really are gator. It's amazing, you both have the inability to stay on point and then double down on the insults.

People do whatever they want. The initial point was your poor analogy which was when you compared Fox News and The Daily Show. That's a stupid comparison, remains a stupid comparison, because one is a comedy nightly talk show on Comedy Central who is very up front with what it is and who it caters to. The other is a News channel, which is supposed to impartial (and claims to be) but is most certainly not.

Stewart and the Daily Show make fun of the news. They are not the news. Fox doesn't make fun of the news (intentionally), they are the news.

Whether or not Stewart's audience decides to get their news from Stewart (who never claims to be offering more than comedy) is immaterial and entirely beside the point. Which is, again, it's a ridiculous comparison to say, like you said, that Fox and Stewart serve the same function for opposite ends of the spectrum. It's entirely inaccurate because one sells themselves as news while the other sells itself as comedy.

He lampoons the right at far greater numbers. The only time he lampoons the left is when it's too obvious to ignore and only after the story has been alive after several news cycles. It's not just the opening monologues, but the guests he has on and the kind of questioning he throws down. It's silly to compare him to Cralin, because Carlin didn't have a nightly program to channel his views, nor did Carlin used guests as props for his cause. Just because his show is allegedly fake news, doesn't mean people treat all of it as fake news. The guests are real, and they don't do a comedy routine when they answer his no-so-fake questions.

Perfect gig for him. He gets to hide behind the comedian mask while taking notes from the White House.

I'm not arguing he doesn't take more shots at the right. I've never been arguing that.

So it's a nightly program where he sits behind a desk and talks about current events but it's not the news. Ooookay.

It's on 4 times a week, at 11pm, on Comedy Central. It's not the news, it's never been the news. It's always been a comedy program.

I've watched the Daily Show, too, and I've read or seen his interviews with other media. Stewart carries a pretense that he just "goes where the comedy leads him" and it just-so-happens that the Right is more ridiculous and it's funnier to lampoon them. As a Stewart expert, do you not agree that he's held this pretense?

From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure it matters. Most people have more or less figured out that The Daily Show is a progressive show and that Fox News leans Republican. The guests sure have.

Stewart does not carry that pretense because he doesn't hide his leanings. That's the point. He's quite clear where he stands, even while he's doing material.

It's on 4 times a week, at 11pm, on Comedy Central. It's not the news, it's never been the news. It's always been a comedy program.

Would you consider it a show that presents current events, interviews and commentary?

Oh and you're sleeping with Stewart aren't you. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

Jon Stewart pretended to be impartial throughout the Bush Presidency.He stated several times in interviews that his goal as a comedian was to lampoon those in charge. (A traditionally American right)

Yep, that's how I remember it, too. Check out this Rolling Stone interview with Stewart and Colbert (excerpts below):

Your show has thrived during the Bush administration. Will you miss it?

Stewart: I remember people used to say, "What are you gonna do when Clinton leaves?" And I'd say, "I'm really OK not having to make another intern blow-job joke in my life." And it'll be the same with these guys. I'd much prefer these guys to leave than to have to continue to make Lord Vader jokes about Cheney. I have great faith in institutional absurdity.

But wouldn't, say, a President Obama be harder to make fun of than these guys?

Stewart: Are you kidding?

Colbert and Stewart in unison: His dad was a goat-herder!

Stewart: I'd rather make fun of somebody who is wearing their humble beginnings on their sleeve than somebody who has created a situation where casualties are involved. So the idea that somehow it's easier now – it's not. Because right now it is a comic box lined with sadness.

Do you think the country would be better off if the Republicans or the Democrats were running it?

Stewart: I have no idea.

Colbert: I wouldn't mind finding out what the options are.

Stewart: Yeah. It's sad that there are only those two choices. I think we'd be better off if you had a sense that people were making decisions based less on their future political considerations and more on what they believed were in the best interests of the country and the world.

What were your political influences?

Colbert: I was from this big Irish-Catholic family, and my dad was president of Physicians for Kennedy. So we had a picture of the president and my dad. I was sure my parents were Democrats but then later realized they only voted for one Democrat. The Kennedy pictures were more like religious icons.

Stewart: There was no "I remember hearing Hubert Humphrey speak at the Citadel while I was dating a Radcliffe girl." No moment of shaking hands with Kennedy at Boys Nation. I still don't consider myself political. People confuse political interest with interest in current events. The political industry is devoted to the electing and un-electing of officials, and that can be corrosive. If the Republicans don't lose either house, people will talk about Karl Rove's genius. There's no genius. It will be the triumph of machine and money and strategy over reality. I don't think that's anything to honor or enjoy.