Sal's film review: How Roman sets up a defense

That's a nice example of Roman setting up a defense, but isn't that what every OC does? Running multiple plays from one formation that require different reactions from defenders is ubiquitous in the NFL. If an OC can't do that, then he's in over their head and shouldn't be doing that job. Roman is a good OC, but this is pretty basic stuff.

That's a nice example of Roman setting up a defense, but isn't that what every OC does? Running multiple plays from one formation that require different reactions from defenders is ubiquitous in the NFL. If an OC can't do that, then he's in over their head and shouldn't be doing that job. Roman is a good OC, but this is pretty basic stuff.

i didn't think the point of it was to say that he was the only one doing it, but rather showing an example of how he does it?

i didn't think the point of it was to say that he was the only one doing it, but rather showing an example of how he does it?

The guy on the video gave me the impression that he thought this sort of thing was a cut above the norm. Just wanted to point out that it's something typical of a competent OC.

Yes. It was stated as such right in the first 2 sentences.

"All NFL coaches want to set up their opponent. Here's an example of how new Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman did it in San Francisco with the 49ers."

The guy on the video gave me the impression that he thought this sort of thing was a cut above the norm. Just wanted to point out that it's something typical of a competent OC.

maybe Sal is just excited to have a competent OC in town 😄

Not "this is what Romans does different than everyone," but "this is what Roman specifically likes to do."

Hackett/Marrone wanted to set defenses up out of the zone-read, Roman wants to set them up out of the traditional power sets. Obviously, the Bills offense is going to look a lot different this year.

maybe Sal is just excited to have a competent OC in town

Me too!

I've been watching 49ers games on my free time lately and Roman puts on a play-calling clinic. He's the real star of this offense.

Not "this is what Romans does different than everyone," but "this is what Roman specifically likes to do."

Hackett/Marrone wanted to set defenses up out of the zone-read, Roman wants to set them up out of the traditional power sets. Obviously, the Bills offense is going to look a lot different this year.

Me too!

I've been watching 49ers games on my free time lately and Roman puts on a play-calling clinic. He's the real star of this offense.

the more I look back at the Niners offense with Kap, the less I can picture Cassel in the QB role. I think it will be EJ or TT.

Paging Nate Hackett. Paging Nate Hackett.

If you have the time/ability and really want to compare, watch the 2013 49ers vs Jags and then Bills vs Jags.

Roman really confuses Pozlusny and Geno Hayes in basically the same way that Sal outlines in the OP.

Hackett tries setting them up out of one-back sets and it just doesn't work. They had a great pair of RBs and a big FB, but EJ was operating out of the shotgun too often early on. The Jags were not stout against the run. Roman showed them how to kill the Jags' defense earlier in the year, but the Bills almost did the complete opposite.

I'm sorry, but I have to make an excuse for EJ Manuel here. He made some really bad throws, but he wasn't set up for success. I wish he had Greg Roman this whole time.

If you have the time/ability and really want to compare, watch the 2013 49ers vs Jags and then Bills vs Jags.

Roman really confuses Pozlusny and Geno Hayes in basically the same way that Sal outlines in the OP.

Hackett tries setting them up out of one-back sets and it just doesn't work. They had a great pair of RBs and a big FB, but EJ was operating out of the shotgun too often early on. The Jags were not stout against the run. Roman showed them how to kill the Jags' defense earlier in the year, but the Bills almost did the complete opposite.

I'm sorry, but I have to make an excuse for EJ Manuel here. He made some really bad throws, but he wasn't set up for success. I wish he had Greg Roman this whole time.

roman will know the strengths and weaknesses of each player on the Bills and the opponent and then set his guys up to succeed. It will be up to the players to execute and make the plays, but he will design the offense to take advantage of mismatches to the opponent. It sounds simple, and yes every OC says they do this. Hackett even did it, at times. He just was too wet behind the ears and hamstrung by Marrone imo. Some OCs are better and more experienced at it than others, and some teams simply have better players that can win their one on one match ups most of the time. This is where we hopefully will see the most improvement on that side of the ball. Edited by YoloinOhio

the more I look back at the Niners offense with Kap, the less I can picture Cassel in the QB role. I think it will be EJ or TT.

Roman's bread and butter is obviously the run game. I think he can call plays that will emphasize Cassel's strengths, but a running QB emphasizes Roman's strengths. It just makes his running scheme that much more diverse. Taylor can definitely play the role of Kaep circa 2013. Maybe EJ, too, if he gets back to being a confident runner.

roman will know the strengths and weaknesses of each player on the Bills and the opponent and then set his guys up to succeed. It will be up to the players to execute and make the plays, but he will design the offense to take advantage of mismatches to the opponent. It sounds simple, and yes every OC says they do this. Hackett even did it, at times. He just was too wet behind the ears and hamstrung by Marrone imo. Some OCs are better and more experienced at it than others, and some teams simply have better players that can win their one on one match ups most of the time. This is where we hopefully will see the most improvement on that side of the ball.

I read in several place/accounts that the Bills O-line just wasn't suited for the type of plays the O wanted to run. Huge O linemen that couldn't move well.

I read in several place/accounts that the Bills O-line just wasn't suited for the type of plays the O wanted to run. Huge O linemen that couldn't move well.

I'm not sure they needed to move well in order to execute the zone blocking system. They're supposed to move whoever comes across their face, right? That's why big, strong O-linemen made sense. I might be completely wrong, but that's how I understand it.

There were many times where Spiller didn't hit the open hole. Ever since Marrone/Hackett got here, I started questioning Spiller's vision. Maybe that coaching staff just misjudged their players' strengths. I think I'd have to watch a lot more football to understand what went wrong. On paper, it looked like it should work, but it didn't.

I'm not sure they needed to move well in order to execute the zone blocking system. They're supposed to move whoever comes across their face, right? That's why big, strong O-linemen made sense. I might be completely wrong, but that's how I understand it.

There were many times where Spiller didn't hit the open hole. Ever since Marrone/Hackett got here, I started questioning Spiller's vision. Maybe that coaching staff just misjudged their players' strengths. I think I'd have to watch a lot more football to understand what went wrong. On paper, it looked like it should work, but it didn't.

Right. They seemed to give him the ball between the tackles a lot, and that just isn't where he's ever going to be effective. Vision

is an issue too I believe, even sometimes in the open field.

I used to run multiple plays from every formation in the playbook of my college flag football team. Yep, the idea is pretty basic.

Nonetheless, I liked watching Roman use the idea successfully. Defenders know these basic ideas too yet Roman sucked them in. At least in this case. Consistency is the challenge.