Teens Fleeing Religion at Record Pace

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now you're arguing that possession of a business license requires the business owner to abide by the Equal Protection clause?

No I'm arguing that a business license requires the business owner to abide with state or local non-discrimination laws - but if TYTT thinks such laws are unconstitutional he should challenge them. I'd also argue that you are a soulless prick and a buttinski.

So now you're arguing that possession of a business license requires the business owner to abide by the Equal Protection clause?

That's exactly what he did.

No I'm arguing that a business license requires the business owner to abide with state or local non-discrimination laws - but if TYTT thinks such laws are unconstitutional he should challenge them. I'd also argue that you are a soulless prick and a buttinski.

I do? I challenge you to quote where I claimed anything was unConstitutional.

I'm simply making an appeal to general freedoms as a counter to your argument in favor of secular despotism by focusing on the logical implications of your positions.

You don't like it so you're getting huffy.

does the equal protection clause provide protection for sexual orientation? are we talking gay weddings? what a lunkhead you are Tom

No, thanks to your dumbass post we're moved on to talking about whether or not a business licenses requires a business owner to comply with the Fourteenth Amendment and Title II of the Civil Rights Act.

The answer to that, by the way, is "No, you idiot."

No, thanks to your dumbass post we're moved on to talking about whether or not a business licenses requires a business owner to comply with the Fourteenth Amendment and Title II of the Civil Rights Act.

The answer to that, by the way, is "No, you idiot."

At the heart of the debate is a system of anti-discrimination laws enacted by federal, state and local governments. The entire United States is covered by the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin. Places of “public accommodation” include hotels, restaurants, theaters, banks, health clubs and stores. Nonprofit organizations such as churches are generally exempt from the law.

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination by private businesses based on disability.

The federal law does not prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, so gays are not a protected group under the federal law. However, about 20 states, including New York and California, have enacted laws that prohibit discrimination in public accommodations based on sexual orientation. In California, you also can’t discriminate based on someone’s unconventional dress. In some states, like Arizona, there’s no state law banning discrimination against gays, but there are local laws in some cities that prohibit sexual orientation discrimination.

So, no matter where you live, you cannot deny service to someone because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some states and cities, you also cannot discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If there is no state, federal or local law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/the-right-to-refuse-service-can-a-business-refuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance

They got one. It's called tinder.

no joke, I hear amazing stories about that thing. I wish I used Facebook just to get the action. But, I have no desire or care for it as of this moment in my life.

Interesting that the Federal Laws don't provide protection, I was under the impression that they did. Well then, time to do some good ole fashioned discriminating, for freedom.

It's all a matter of preference, but giving up your freedom in order to compel a private citizen to endorse your lifestyle against his will seems an odd choice.

It's also worth noting that there is no constitutional footing for anti-discrimination laws aimed at private actors. The legislature passed them and the court rubber stamped them.

haven't read the thread but the kids of brazil challenge the premise of it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/27/pope-francis-in-brazil-dr_n_3664952.html

and the strategy for growth and retention:

Francis offered a breathtakingly blunt list of explanations for the "exodus."

"Perhaps the church appeared too weak, perhaps too distant from their needs, perhaps too poor to respond to their concerns, perhaps too cold, perhaps too caught up with itself, perhaps a prisoner of its own rigid formulas," he said. "Perhaps the world seems to have made the church a relic of the past, unfit for new questions. Perhaps the church could speak to people in their infancy but not to those come of age."

Francis asked if the church today can still "warm the hearts" of its faithful with priests who take time to listen to their problems and remain close to them.

"We need a church capable of rediscovering the maternal womb of mercy," he said. "Without mercy, we have little chance nowadays of becoming part of a world of `wounded' persons in need of understanding, forgiveness and love."

sounds good to me

Edited by birdog1960

Poor attempt at humor.

I thought it was quite a good attempt, actually (explained below).

Teens, as well as people in my generation (for those of you who don't know, that would be 20-somethings), are "fleeing religion" for a number of reasons, two I think being principal:

1. They don't see the need for something to worship. This is because they have filled this void with two things: sex and themselves. The extreme vanity and promiscuity that exist in these age cohorts is stunning when compared with previous generations. This is where Greg's joke comes in: Tinder is the perfect combination of the two trendy gods that teens and 20-somethings love to bow to. You craft an image of yourself in such a way that not only are you lying to the people you're advertising to, but you're also lying to yourself about how wonderful you look and are. Then you shop around for people who have done the exact same thing; swipe right to try and bone them, swipe left to dispose of them. Teens and 20-somethings dislike prudence, self-restraint, and humility, so they worship the things that are opposed to them.

2. Teens and 20-somethings suffer from a way of thinking that C.S. Lewis brilliantly coined "chronological snobbery": the "uncritical acceptance of the intellectual climate common to our own age and the assumption that whatever has gone out of date is on that account discredited." Ask your typical teen or 20-something atheist why they believe there is no god and they will not give you even a coherent response, much less a well-reasoned one. Atheism and its various forms are trendy and popular among internet warriors and give the teen and 20-something the false sense that they are much more common and much more intellectually grounded than any sort of theism. They reject theism, then, not because they have reasoned there is no god, but because they have decided that that is what their generation thinks and therefore they should think it also.

It is worth pointing out that chronological snobbery gives birth to all sorts of leftist thought and the like, but that is a topic for another thread.

I thought it was quite a good attempt, actually (explained below).

Teens, as well as people in my generation (for those of you who don't know, that would be 20-somethings), are "fleeing religion" for a number of reasons, two I think being principal:

1. They don't see the need for something to worship. This is because they have filled this void with two things: sex and themselves. The extreme vanity and promiscuity that exist in these age cohorts is stunning when compared with previous generations. This is where Greg's joke comes in: Tinder is the perfect combination of the two trendy gods that teens and 20-somethings love to bow to. You craft an image of yourself in such a way that not only are you lying to the people you're advertising to, but you're also lying to yourself about how wonderful you look and are. Then you shop around for people who have done the exact same thing; swipe right to try and bone them, swipe left to dispose of them. Teens and 20-somethings dislike prudence, self-restraint, and humility, so they worship the things that are opposed to them.

2. Teens and 20-somethings suffer from a way of thinking that C.S. Lewis brilliantly coined "chronological snobbery": the "uncritical acceptance of the intellectual climate common to our own age and the assumption that whatever has gone out of date is on that account discredited." Ask your typical teen or 20-something atheist why they believe there is no god and they will not give you even a coherent response, much less a well-reasoned one. Atheism and its various forms are trendy and popular among internet warriors and give the teen and 20-something the false sense that they are much more common and much more intellectually grounded than any sort of theism. They reject theism, then, not because they have reasoned there is no god, but because they have decided that that is what their generation thinks and therefore they should think it also.

It is worth pointing out that chronological snobbery gives birth to all sorts of leftist thought and the like, but that is a topic for another thread.

I appreciate the depth of this post, but I was actual just asking what tinder was.