Teens Fleeing Religion at Record Pace

Right. Well now we're taking it back to the Reformation and the concept of sola scriptura; that interpretations of the Bible are also subject to the Bible and the Bible serves to interpret itself in many areas. A literal interpretation of the Bible is no less an interpretation than what the Catholics tend to hold - it's just, well, literal.

sorry. no. that's ob. or bs. it just doesn't play.

fundamentalists interpret the bible. plain and simple. they just do it differently in many instances from Catholics. and they have no universal, formal body, standard protocol or qualifications required to make the interpretations. it's actually much more free form in it's interpretations than Catholicism.

doesn't prove that either of them are correct in their interpratations but at least we agree that they both are interpretting.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't prove that either of them are correct in their interpratations but at least we agree that they both are interpretting.

I thought that was what I said. I wasn't trying to say that fundamentalists on the whole have an interpretation in the same way that the Catholics on the whole do. Though it is important to point out that many fundamentalist denominations do have copious statements and papers on the "harder" topics in the Bible that they impress upon the churches they cover.

I thought that was what I said. I wasn't trying to say that fundamentalists on the whole have an interpretation in the same way that the Catholics on the whole do. Though it is important to point out that many fundamentalist denominations do have copious statements and papers on the "harder" topics in the Bible that they impress upon the churches they cover.

what you said "literal interpretation" is an oxymoron.

literal:

1. 1.
    taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory.
    "dreadful in its literal sense, full of dread"
  2. (of a translation) representing the exact words of the original text.

synonyms: word-for-word, verbatim, letter-for-letter; More

and interpretation:

1. (countable) An act of interpreting or explaining what is obscure; a translation; a version; a construction. the interpretation of a foreign language, of a dream, or of an enigma. (countable) A sense given by an interpreter; an exposition or explanation given; meaning .
    can't properly be used together to define a new concept. "he's a round ice cube kind of fundamentalist"
    fundamentalist either literally accept the bible of they don't. they don't. they interpret.
Edited by birdog1960