Sunday Ticket - Start your Engines

Griz

I'm sorry bro but you sound lost & confused, as if negotiating is a foreign concept. So are you content with paying full MSRP for everything b/c you think that keeps the price down for everyone? Have you ever heard of simple microeconomic terms like profit margin & price elasticity/inelasticity?

As per the bolded, don't think for a second the "paying customers" pay more b/c of those of us who negotiate better pricing for ourselves. DTV and the NFL have a tidy/massively profitable little venture going. Don't be fooled and come off like a Pollyanna.

These are the type of people we should thank. They, for whatever reason, think that authority is always correct and we should never question it. It makes it easier for the rest of us to save money. There is no point in telling them that a large corporation will take advantage of them whenever they get a chance, because they are to stubborn.

Yeah, let's see, direct tv has a grip on the rights to "out of market games". Which are played locally on free broadcasting networks CBS or FOX. So the only cost should be the cost of streaming it online which advertising would easily pay for and more. And we are taking advantage of them?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called yesterday and got STMax for half. I'm cool with that. Dude said paying my bill on time counts for a lot. We go paperless and pay well in advance.

Also mentioed the London game. He said he was unaware of any broadcast issues.

Stayin :thumbsup:

Edited by tsnbd

Just made the call. Definitely agree with those who said that it was tougher than previous years. Started with a retention rep who offered $5 and $3 off a month. Moved up to a supervisor who added ST Max for 1/2 price and another $10 off a month. Then she hit a wall and wouldn't budge. This is the first time they've noted my history of getting ST free (got it for free last year) and said the system won't allow it two years in a row. Kept trying on other discounts to offset the cost but didn't get anywhere. She basically told me to call back in a couple of weeks and try again.

The cancellation card isn't really in the deck for me, as I'm under 24-month contract from last year's deal. Been a customer since 1998, that usually helps a lot, but not this year. In the end it's not an awful deal, but not nearly as good as years past.

Well called DTV today again for around the 4th time in past two months. Last call I made I canceled ST, maybe that helps getting better offer the next time or maybe the closer to the season, you get better offers, or just got luckier today??

I was given two offers, ST free with a one year contract, or ST Max for half off. I countered with that I'd take the one year contract if they'd give me the max free, but she told me that offer isn't available today. Does make me wonder how much leeway these agents do truly have. Do they have different offers every day, is it like buying airline tickets where if they made their sales quota for the day, you'll likely only be offered poorer deals? So I took the max for half off, after which she then offered me a one time $50 credit, so basically got ST Max for $117, not too bad, I'm happy with it.

Certainly not as good of an offer as some folks have got, but not too bad either. While I have some negotiating leverage as not under contract, I also don't have any add-on's other than the DVR, and have only been with DTV for a little over three years now, not like otehrs who've been customers for 10 plus years. My whole bill is a little under $100, still have a couple of monthly discounts if I had zero discounts the total would be around $115, whereas I believe many of the people whom get the better offers may also have HBO, Center Ice, etc. which generate higher total bills

I figured no contract is better as I'm not currently under any contract, so I could completely dump DTV in Jan once the football season is over. If I dump them in Jan by August the "come back to DTV" offers should be arriving every week.

One of these days, I do think I'll cut the cord, two biggest reasons not to is we record almost everything we watch on the DVR (I have a 5 tuner Genie and 2 tuner HD DVR) and wouldn't want to have to start watching commercials, and where I live the local CBS station is very difficult to get without a roof antenna. I figure this winter when it cools off I may go up on roof and play with an outside antenna to see what I can get, I know some people cane get it, but takes some playing and may only be on one TV in the house. All the other stations come in great with a small attic antenna.

There are two home DVRS that I'm keeping an eye on Tablo and HD Homerun. Maybe by next year I'll get the outside antenna working and try one of the DVRS' only downside is I'll spend a fair amount of money to buy all the required hardware, and it may never work all that well to want to stick with long term, so will see.

Just curious, does anyone know if CBS All Access is commercial free or not? Is the Hulu premium package commercial free?

Called yesterday and got STMax for half. I'm cool with that. Dude said paying my bill on time counts for a lot. We go paperless and pay well in advance.

Also mentioed the London game. He said he was unaware of any broadcast issues.

Stayin :thumbsup:

Put on auto pay...they like that too. I got a discount when I did that.

Here in Fairfax County Virginia, I have leverage playing the competition card with Cox and FIOS both available and oozing with offers/deals. My call this year was very successful.

I recommend focusing on the broadcast options available to you when making the call to DTV.

Started with DTV chat session today, the net/net of that was a paltry offer of $5 off each month for 6 months, along with free RedZone. I said no thanks, but I had to take a very aggressive/bundled from Comcast since I am already a home internet/phone customer of theirs, and my wife can't justify us keeping DTV esp. when all we're offered is $30 chump change over 6 months. She apologized and said we don't want to lose you, here's the customer retention # (800-824-9081) with a PIN to get me right through.

So I get to Robert in Tennessee (same first name as mine, I take the opening for small talk) and he cuts right to the chase; what is it that I want exactly? I tell him as a customer since 2007, I want a combination of discounts/credits to offset the cost of Sunday Ticket. No B.S.. He says hold a minute, let me see what I can do for you. I then ask him, "by the way, do you sell a lot of Sunday Ticket Max options to your customers, b/c sometimes I travel for work and hate to miss the games live". (My way of setting the hook for ST Max). Actually, he says, "the best promos going now are on ST Max, not the standard ST."

Net/net: MSRP of ST Max = $354. The promo gets me 1/2 off that right off the top (=$177). He then says he can offer 1/2 off the 1/2, for a balance of $88.50. OK, we're getting close, I commented. He then says he'll apply an instant credit of $88.50 to my existing balance for regular DTV programming. He also advises me to call back for a similar deal on Center Ice a little bit closer to the start of the NHL season.

WINNING ......!!!!

Just made the call. Definitely agree with those who said that it was tougher than previous years. Started with a retention rep who offered $5 and $3 off a month. Moved up to a supervisor who added ST Max for 1/2 price and another $10 off a month. Then she hit a wall and wouldn't budge. This is the first time they've noted my history of getting ST free (got it for free last year) and said the system won't allow it two years in a row. Kept trying on other discounts to offset the cost but didn't get anywhere. She basically told me to call back in a couple of weeks and try again.

The cancellation card isn't really in the deck for me, as I'm under 24-month contract from last year's deal. Been a customer since 1998, that usually helps a lot, but not this year. In the end it's not an awful deal, but not nearly as good as years past.

This!

I used to get ST Max free all the time, and now its getting tougher with their new two year contract. Since I got a great deal last year with the start of that two year contract, new Genie along with ST Max free. Now this year they are playing hardball, and don't want to give much break. Anything over 100.00 a month is kinda of ridiculous to pay for TV service, and around that price includes the NFL network, ESPN, and HBO.

All I really want is the shortcuts anyway, as I can't watch or record that many games on any given weekend..or i go brain dead for anything else. I can't spend my entire day watching football (even tho I want to sometimes) The Bills game is all i really have time for each week. Those shortcuts are great as I can record as many as I want and watch one or two a night, as its only a half hour show with no crappy commercials or announcers to listen to. The problem is that you can't get the shortcuts without the ST.

Currently In a holding pattern awaiting the first week of the season to make another call.

This!

I used to get ST Max free all the time, and now its getting tougher with their new two year contract. Since I got a great deal last year with the start of that two year contract, new Genie along with ST Max free. Now this year they are playing hardball, and don't want to give much break. Anything over 100.00 a month is kinda of ridiculous to pay for TV service, and around that price includes the NFL network, ESPN, and HBO.

All I really want is the shortcuts anyway, as I can't watch or record that many games on any given weekend..or i go brain dead for anything else. I can't spend my entire day watching football (even tho I want to sometimes) The Bills game is all i really have time for each week. Those shortcuts are great as I can record as many as I want and watch one or two a night, as its only a half hour show with no crappy commercials or announcers to listen to. The problem is that you can't get the shortcuts without the ST.

Currently In a holding pattern awaiting the first week of the season to make another call.

maybe this is why it's tougher

Anyone know if now that they're part of the AT&T family that it's going to impact the offers they're giving and the discounts for Sunday ticket etc? Maybe that is part of the reason it's getting tougher for many people calling?

I don't think so. Every account is different. Many of us received great deals this year.

I'm new to posting to the Board as I usually don't have time to write but read quite often as you guys are up on everything Bills. I am a long time DTV subscriber since cable went digital in 2001. Living in CT, I get both NY and CT channels which gives me several options to watch the Bills without ST. I got ideas from several on the Board and have used it to upgrade equipment and reduce the price in the past. I got a pretty good deal this year and I recommend you always by pass the first rep and go directly to customer retention. It takes a little longer so I am usually prepared for at least a half hour call. He gave me $10 off my DVR price for a year and an additional $20 off as a loyal subscriber. I don't really see the advantages of ST MAX as I tried it last year and really only cared about Bills game. He also offered 4 months of Showtime for free and said it would just drop off rather than me having to cancel when the offer was up.

The only other thing he mentioned that I hadn't seen before was that after the season, I should cancel my Sunday ticket as they are able to give the best offer (free) to non subscribers.

Anyone know if now that they're part of the AT&T family that it's going to impact the offers they're giving and the discounts for Sunday ticket etc? Maybe that is part of the reason it's getting tougher for many people calling?

not an impact whatsoever

I'm new to posting to the Board as I usually don't have time to write but read quite often as you guys are up on everything Bills. I am a long time DTV subscriber since cable went digital in 2001. Living in CT, I get both NY and CT channels which gives me several options to watch the Bills without ST. I got ideas from several on the Board and have used it to upgrade equipment and reduce the price in the past. I got a pretty good deal this year and I recommend you always by pass the first rep and go directly to customer retention. It takes a little longer so I am usually prepared for at least a half hour call. He gave me $10 off my DVR price for a year and an additional $20 off as a loyal subscriber. I don't really see the advantages of ST MAX as I tried it last year and really only cared about Bills game. He also offered 4 months of Showtime for free and said it would just drop off rather than me having to cancel when the offer was up.

The only other thing he mentioned that I hadn't seen before was that after the season, I should cancel my Sunday ticket as they are able to give the best offer (free) to non subscribers.

That's not really true. Free is for new customers or regulars that move.

That's not really true. Free is for new customers or regulars that move.

not true. I have been leveraging the existing customer card year after year. They just combine discounts & credits to offset the full cost of ST.....at least that's what my experience has been. You just need to be firm & direct with what you want.