Could the 2015 Bills start a trend?

Two of the best RBs in the league were traded/let walk from their last teams. Connor and Felton will bounce around the league for a few more years.

The Bills were 2nd in the league in rushing with a pretty good defense 2 years ago and they still couldn't win.

I don't think they have invented anything....

This is a big reason why I'm very cautious in my optimism for this season.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends upon whether or not the Bills actually win

Quietly, though, run-heavy teams without a fantastic QB have been going deep into the playoffs for a few years now. San Francisco, Seattle....Wilson is not Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers.

Several teams have embraced stout d and running the ball. The Ravens and steelers were built this way for a while. Early in flacco's career they played around him, relied on d and and running and were always in the playoff picture.

The Texans had some success with Schaub and TJ Yates under center but a killer d and foster.

Jets succeeded with the model not too long ago.

Niners, and even arguably Seattle didn't need tons of production from their qb to win.

There is nothing new here. If you have a franchise qb you capitalize on it. If you don't or aren't sure yet, you try to win in different ways.

This is a big reason why I'm very cautious in my optimism for this season.

I think its important to note that there are differences between that team and this one.

They were 2nd in the league in rushing but take a look at how many times they had to do that in order to get to that 2nd position. And red zone offense was horrible that year.

2 years ago we couldn't stop the run. last year we stopped the run.

2 years ago we had a good run game. last year we had no run game.

If we can get a season where we stop the run and run the ball well, we will win 10+ games.

With that said, I think this trend started with San Fran and Seattle. Wilson is a nice QB, much better than what we have. But he is barely a top 15 QB in my opinion. And Alex Smith and Colin Kaep are pretty good, but they aren't what I would call great. But they won by playing good defense and running the ball. This is caused by QBs coming out of college that just are not the same. Once all the elite QBs retire (manning, brady, brees) the only dominant QBs left would be Rodgers and Luck. Rivers and Big Ben are up there, but they are nearing their end too. None of these younger QBs are impressive aside from luck and rodgers. I see the game changing unless some of these young QBs start turning some heads.

That opinion destroys your credibility and drops you out of serious converasation.

I agree with those mentioning Seattle. What I will find most interesting is what happens roster-wise when Wilson gets his money, and if they can continue their success through the turnover that is likely to cause.

I belive Lynch to be the engine of that offense. The guy has averaged well over 4 Yrds per carry with 900 carries over 3 seasons.

What other perennial contender in the past 3 years has a running back with more rushing attempts than the qb has completions?

I belive Lynch to be the engine of that offense. The guy has averaged well over 4 Yrds per carry with 900 carries over 3 seasons.

What other perennial contender in the past 3 years has a running back with more rushing attempts than the qb has completions?

I don't disagree, but with the amount Wilson expects I'm not sure they can keep the roster in tact. It may be a problem we will face in the future as well. Unless you're suggesting that the roster is good enough in Seattle that they would let Wilson walk to keep the rest, but that is a hard pill to swallow.

I don't disagree, but with the amount Wilson expects I'm not sure they can keep the roster in tact. It may be a problem we will face in the future as well. Unless you're suggesting that the roster is good enough in Seattle that they would let Wilson walk to keep the rest, but that is a hard pill to swallow.

I was bouncing off of the point. I agree. I guess where I am going to your point is when lynch hangs 'me up, we are going to see just how good RW really is. Teams that have them depend on their franchise QBs throwing more than 500 or 600 passes per season.

Russell just hasn't been asked to do that yet.

I am not doubting WEO's ability to debate........he is def pretty good at it. Just frustrating that its always the alternate view no matter when even when it makes little sense to be. Its frustrating sometimes why does he even follow this team if he hates it so much? THat is a serious question.

He is an unusual troll I admit.

1. NFL is a copy cat league...so any team achieving significant success (Super Bowl appearances) is likely to be copied by at least some teams.

2. There is no exact way to win...teams will build their team based on what type of team their staff believes in and that they are closest to becoming.

3. The Bills aren't starting a trend, they are copying the Seahawks. The Seahawks, won the SB with a tenacious D, dominant run game, and a QB who was still developing and not expected to carry the team. Wilson has continued to develop into a good QB with the potential to be a great QB, but they won the SB at a time where he was a young unproven QB who wasnt asked to do a lot other than to make plays when needed and not turn the ball over. This is the exact model the Bills are building now...tenancious D, dominant run game, and looking at either a young QB in EJ to develop or Cassel to be a game manager.

So the Bills could win the SB, and it still wont be "their trend". In fact many teams have done it, but Seahawks are latest to do it and to do so in a pass happy league.

1. NFL is a copy cat league...so any team achieving significant success (Super Bowl appearances) is likely to be copied by at least some teams.

2. There is no exact way to win...teams will build their team based on what type of team their staff believes in and that they are closest to becoming.

3. The Bills aren't starting a trend, they are copying the Seahawks. The Seahawks, won the SB with a tenacious D, dominant run game, and a QB who was still developing and not expected to carry the team. Wilson has continued to develop into a good QB with the potential to be a great QB, but they won the SB at a time where he was a young unproven QB who wasnt asked to do a lot other than to make plays when needed and not turn the ball over. This is the exact model the Bills are building now...tenancious D, dominant run game, and looking at either a young QB in EJ to develop or Cassel to be a game manager.

So the Bills could win the SB, and it still wont be "their trend". In fact many teams have done it, but Seahawks are latest to do it and to do so in a pass happy league.

Wilson was a good QB since he's been in the NFL.

Wilson was a good QB since he's been in the NFL.

I never said he was bad...I said they won with a young QB who wasn't asked to carry the team. They dominated on D and the run game. Wilson was a 2nd year unproven QB when they went on that run and won the SB. He wasn't asked to carry the load, just protect the ball and make plays when needed. It's the exact model of our team. Doesn't mean we have a QB who can handle that role, it means if we do that we won't be setting the trend.

I never said he was bad...I said they won with a young QB who wasn't asked to carry the team. They dominated on D and the run game. Wilson was a 2nd year unproven QB when they went on that run and won the SB. He wasn't asked to carry the load, just protect the ball and make plays when needed. It's the exact model of our team. Doesn't mean we have a QB who can handle that role, it means if we do that we won't be setting the trend.

Ah, I took it as he went from not good to good when you said he developed into a good QB.

I think its important to note that there are differences between that team and this one.

They were 2nd in the league in rushing but take a look at how many times they had to do that in order to get to that 2nd position. And red zone offense was horrible that year.

Indeed there are differences, but without a stud QB, it's a lot more difficult to make assumptions about our success.

Nice topic. One of the things I find interesting is that the Bills defense is built to stop the pass. Passing teams are not going to win unless they can run too. The Bills have a reputation over the last couple of years for getting after the passer. Teams are going to be reluctant to put their franchise QBs out there too much. I see teams trying to run against us a lot this year so it will be interesting.

Keeping that in mind, a control the clock kind of game would play very nicely into our hands. Run and stop the run will work, but from what I am hearing, our receivers are on a mission to become the best route runners in the league. They are also changing up where they line up. Every receiver, TE and RB is lining up in a different spot each play. The offense is looking to surprise us this year. I am expecting a leap forward in the passing game as well.

Most of the talk is about the QB, but few teams are building a better all around team. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

That could also be a problem for Buffalo if they ever find a franchise QB. We have spent a lot of money building a team around the QB. If one of the QB's currently on the team becomes that guy, that payday will come sooner rather than later. If one is drafted the date will back up a bit. Overall though, I am pretty excited about this year.

Indeed there are differences, but without a stud QB, it's a lot more difficult to make assumptions about our success.

Indeed

The only thing I draw from

- Our offense was horrible last year HORRIBLE

- Our defense was great last year.....AWESOME

That netted a 9-7 record......the first winning season in a while......so if defense remains awesome (and there is no reason to think it would not) and offense just picks it up a little bit...........10-6? 11-5?

The reason the bills didn't run the ball well last year is due to the fact they did not stick with the running game. In many games, such as the Denver game, they would run well on first down and then have two straight incomplete passes, it was bad play calling. This year should be much better, but you still need a QB who can move the ball down the field and put it in the end-zone at the end of the half and/or the end of the game with everything on the line!!!! Stats don't matter just wins!!!!