Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

its nice that he wanted him.... but it was in a backup role. how much he likes him at that point is easily debatable. He could think he has starting potential. Or he could think hes safely the 43rd best qb in the league making him a top 10 backup. Or he might think hes lower but simply be comfortable with him since it kind of becomes 6 of one and a half dozen of the other once you get deep in the ranking.

Taylor knows Kubiak's offense, he's very athletic, and a great teammate/leader by all accounts. That's a guy you'd like to have on your team. It's not like they were offering him tons of money. It's not like the Broncos have awesome backups. I don't know why people are reading so much into Kubiak wanting Taylor.

Rex wanted Simms...that doesn't mean he's comfortable with him actually starting a meaningful football game.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo. So if Taylor was such an impressive backup, why didn't Kubiak get him, for next to nothing. IMO

Kubiak tried to sign Taylor in Denver, reportedly offering him more money than the Bills paid. Taylor was a FA so he was able to chose to go where he had a shot at starting right away.

its nice that he wanted him.... but it was in a backup role. how much he likes him at that point is easily debatable. He could think he has starting potential. Or he could think hes safely the 43rd best qb in the league making him a top 10 backup. Or he might think hes lower but simply be comfortable with him since it kind of becomes 6 of one and a half dozen of the other once you get deep in the ranking.

Agree with all that. I was responding to someone who said he cannot throw.

But as I truly believe and I doubt anyone who follows the NFL closely doesn't believe, if you are to be a SB contender, the backup QB position is a very important one, and you chose that player carefully in case you need a half or two, or a game or two in the middle of the season. You are not going to select a player that cannot play and cannot throw four years in a row.

@jchenelly: Observer within #Bills: Coaches went into #BillsMinicamp hoping Cassel would rise to top. He did not; he faltered but still in competition.

Ew. I hope that the coaches wanted anyone but Cassel to rise to the top. Why would you want Cassel, opposed to your young, talented guys?

Ew. I hope that the coaches wanted anyone but Cassel to rise to the top. Why would you want Cassel, opposed to your young, talented guys?

i have no idea. I'm confused. The sky is officially falling and now i need to keep the chicken little avatar. :/ Edited by YoloinOhio

But as I truly believe and I doubt anyone who follows the NFL closely doesn't believe, if you are to be a SB contender, the backup QB position is a very important one, and you chose that player carefully in case you need a half or two, or a game or two in the middle of the season. You are not going to select a player that cannot play and cannot throw four years in a row.

You're right. Kubiak wanted a backup who he was already comfortable with and who he could build an offense around to win some games, if they were desperate to keep a playoff run alive.

Are backups typically starting-caliber QBs? No. They have big deficiencies that keep them from being a consistent starter.

We know Taylor has one huge strength: running and extending plays. You can build an offense to highlight that as much as possible.

We know what has typically been his weakness: throwing. You can build an offense to hide that as much as possible.

There are so many assumptions made.

Assuming they wanted Cassel to rise to the top is just a weird assumption. It goes against rational thinking.

I guess it's fine if they were hoping for 2010 Cassel, but they shouldn't be banking on it and should actually be hoping for something more promising.

3.75 ypc?!?!?!?

sign him now!!!

I guess I don't .. care to enlighten us

never mind. i thought it was a hilarious stat. quite a few others picked up on that too i noticed. just what Tannyhill is noted for.

i dont feel threatened by that and i would be surprised if anyone at One Bills drive does either

Chenelly seems to have a source at OBD but I don't know about that observation. Makes little sense.

I could see why they'd want Meh. They know that all they need is Trent Dilfer with their defense and offensive weapons to compete for a ring. The guy most likely to play like Dilfer would be Meh. Rolling with one of the other guys, would come with the likelihood of more mistakes because they're less of a known commodity than Meh. If Rex got a ring this year, his tenure is pretty much locked up and he can try a project QB with no pressure.

I just hope Manuel or Tyrod run away with it.

Can we agree Kubiak and company are going into the season believing they have the personnel to compete for a Super Bowl? Can we also agree that at Peyton's age, it is reasonable to believe there are increased odds he will miss at least some of the season with injuries? Given that, I think it is quite likely the Broncos see their backup QB as key and not just a clipboard holder.

its almost like none of that disagrees with anything i said. so... sure. that he thought he was a viable option among the cheap backups of the world could mean he thought he was MUCH better, or just a known quantity in a see of meh, is all i was saying. if he thinks hes a good option at backup that doesnt mean hes a particularly good starting QB by itself.

you could make the same argument for any qb. on a team with a good one they want a good backup to not derail a playoff run -- on a team with a bad qb they want to collect options like we did.

kubiaks endorsement raises to the level of good backup qb. if he thought he was a good starter you could probably argue he wouldve been willing to pay more to have him be the next guy up in a year.

its true - no one would ever back up manning with some schlub that could tank the season!

very few teams dont want a good backup. i just made the argument that a bad team will collect potential starters, and ill say some good teams simply dont have cap to get a top backup because they are pushing their chips in on guys that will play every week instead of insurance.

I could see why they'd want Meh. They know that all they need is Trent Dilfer with their defense and offensive weapons to compete for a ring. The guy most likely to play like Dilfer would be Meh. Rolling with one of the other guys, would come with the likelihood of more mistakes because they're less of a known commodity than Meh. If Rex got a ring this year, his tenure is pretty much locked up and he can try a project QB with no pressure.

I just hope Manuel or Tyrod run away with it.

Trent Dilfer >> Meh

i agree with your take that this guy has soooomeone on the inside.

the only thing i can imagine is that they think the other 2 are real long shots so on a practical level they were hoping the vet could show up as the steady hand. instead he remained a question mark and thats not where they expected him to be at this point.