Linebacker depth... a concern?

We all know we have one of the best defenses in the league, and I know we have Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown who are quite good young linebackers. That being said with Brandon Spikes signing with the Patriots and Kiko Alonso being traded is anybody worried about depth at the linebacker position? To be quite honest, I am. I really thought re-signing Spikes was a must for this defense. Before Brandon Spikes came along we struggled against the run -- even with Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams on the line. With both Kiko and Brandon gone, I am actually apprehensive about this part of our defense. I have faith in Rex Ryan with the defense, but this position leaves me scratching my head at this point -- only because of the recent signing. With the signing of Michael Buchanan, it points me to the belief that Rex Ryan doesn't believe the Bills have good depth at the position. Anybody else concerned?

I am concerned about LB depth too.

Ty Powell could surprise as all, but we have to wait and see.

Is Manny Lawson a DE or OLB in this defense?

Does Randell Johnson get playing time, or is he still a special teamer?

I am concerned about LB depth too.

Ty Powell could surprise as all, but we have to wait and see.

Is Manny Lawson a DE or OLB in this defense?

Does Randell Johnson get playing time, or is he still a special teamer?

Ty Powell. repping with the ones and calling plays. Rex likes this guy. keep an eye out for him. Randellll! could be something too

Buchanan should be what we need

he cannot cover he plays slow for his weight but sure.

he is just an edge rusher.

Maybe Thurman sees something he can develop ?

Buchanan is very similar in stature to Mario, which tells me that the defensive staff probably envisions him as a player that fills in there during camp and is practice squad potential just in case.

The LB depth isn't really an issue with this defense because they have Powell and Johnson as the primary backups and Rex loves to use an extra (big) safety in the box to fill that position(see Duke Williams).

Before Brandon Spikes Preston Brown came along we struggled against the run

Fixed it for you. Spikes didn't see a lot of time last year, and Rex has had solid Run defenses. Additionally, Whaley has shown an ability to pick good ILBs. I think Ty Powell will fill in if necessary (hopefully not).

Ty Powell fits the mould of the kind of non-name that Rex Ryan has turned into a household name throughout his NFL coaching career. I think he will be fine. Buchanan is seen as depth behind Hughes according to Rex. There isn't a depth concern at OLB for me, the concern is in the middle and I think you are going to see Powell as the primary back up, lots of hard hitting Duke in the box and Randell Johnson and/or Tony Steward as the additional depth behind that - guys that can play outside or inside.

I'm concerned, I felt better when I thought Spikes was coming back. My hope is Daryl Washington gets released from the Cards and Rex convinces him to join the island of misfit toys.

I still see us as a 4-3, even though everyone thinks Rex is gonna change us to a 3-4.

So, assuming 4-3... we effectively only lost Spikes over the offseason, and apparently Rex is high on Ty Powell, and I think Randell Johnson has been getting praised... plus we drafted Steward.

I think we'll be ok. Just not an elite unit.

I still see us as a 4-3, even though everyone thinks Rex is gonna change us to a 3-4.

We will be a 3-4 playing with 4 men on the line a lot of the time in the kind of "unbalanced line" approach that Pettine used. The "3" yesterday with Dareus not there were Kyle and Mario at end with Bryant at DT. Mario is not going to be a traditional 3-4 end though he will line up wider more like a 4-3 end the Hughes will play the other side as a hybrid. That gives you 3 linebacking spots and if you look at the 3 under Pettine it was Lawson, Bradham and Alonso. Switch Alonso out for Brown and you have what I think will be the "starting" group.

We all know we have one of the best defenses in the league, and I know we have Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown who are quite good young linebackers. That being said with Brandon Spikes signing with the Patriots and Kiko Alonso being traded is anybody worried about depth at the linebacker position? To be quite honest, I am. I really thought re-signing Spikes was a must for this defense. Before Brandon Spikes came along we struggled against the run -- even with Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams on the line. With both Kiko and Brandon gone, I am actually apprehensive about this part of our defense. I have faith in Rex Ryan with the defense, but this position leaves me scratching my head at this point -- only because of the recent signing. With the signing of Michael Buchanan, it points me to the belief that Rex Ryan doesn't believe the Bills have good depth at the position. Anybody else concerned?

I'm worried about the Bills D, but not because of linebacker - work with me here.

Keep in mind we are now running with Doug Whaley on the Pittsburgh linebacker model

1) draft talented mid to late round LB every year (also pick up guys where you see talent from the cutout bin of impatient teams - the Buchanan signing fits this model)

2) let them develop and play ST

3) in 3rd, maybe 2nd year see what they got

There are names tucked away on the Bills depth chart who will prove servicable or better at LB, wait and see

Also keep in mind Rex's base defense, whatever the lip service about "fitting the scheme to the players", is a 3-4 so we'll very likely have Dareus, Kyle Williams, and someone else on the line with Hughes, Bradham, Brown, and Mario Williams as the nominal "linebackers". He will also play a lot of nickle and dime and even stunt formations like GB "psycho".

What killed the Bills against the run under Pettine was a by-product of the sky high sack totals. Pettine ran a high-risk, high-reward attacking defense. What that meant is that instead of staying home to stop the run, players were "getting after it" and if they misdiagnosed a run as a pass, there were holes. I'm a bit worried about the run because Pettine runs a very Rex-derivative D. Rex's Ds can be good against the run but it relies on having players who sniff out the play correctly and also players who can really set the edge.

In order, my worries are QB, OL, LB - with QB and OL being a virtual tie.

I think our starting LBs are fine but injuries could hurt us.

Then again, no team has depth everywhere. And as Hopeful points out, Rex is pretty creative and will field 11 good players one way or another. There's a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball overall to play with.