Panhandler Money

Dante

I see these guys all the time. When I come up on a semi busy intersection waiting for a light they will be there. If I'm there for a minute I always see at least a couple people giving money out of their cars. If he gets that in a minute how much is he getting in a hour? How much a day? Personally I have no problem with them if people are dopey enough to pay him. The only issue I have is if they are doing it in front of businesses, schools or residential.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/28/la-police-expose-panhandler-carrying-800-in-cash-w/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a full time job for many of them. I used to see them on the streets in Manhattan every day when I commuted through GCT; they set up shop right after the morning rush hour (when the tourists start coming into town) and pack up for the day about half way through the evening rush.

Then of course you get the subway panhandlers, but they don't tend to get much from the subway crowd.

I remember watching a news program profiling a few of the guys working the NYC panhandling scene sometime back in the 90s and one of the guys they covered was making around 50k a year doing it and he actually owned a home.

No to belittle those out there who truly need help but from that moment on I couldn't see myself ever handing out money to beggars without being able to truly know where their motivations came from.

I recently got harassed by one of these creeps while pulling out of a Price Chopper parking lot. The guy looked really rough, and I had my kids in the car, so I just ignored him. Just kept staring forward.

When the light turned green the guy started swearing at me. Called me a cheap f$&@ing @$$hole. My son got really scared. I thought about calling the police, but I figured the guy had it bad enough.

should have invited him home for a shower

I recently got harassed by one of these creeps while pulling out of a Price Chopper parking lot. The guy looked really rough, and I had my kids in the car, so I just ignored him. Just kept staring forward.

When the light turned green the guy started swearing at me. Called me a cheap f$&@ing @$$hole. My son got really scared. I thought about calling the police, but I figured the guy had it bad enough.

The freaking bum is right on target though.

And what seems to be the problem?

The freaking bum is right on target though.

And what seems to be the problem?

Now his son knows he's a cheap !@#$ing !@#$. It's a shame actually for him to find out at such a young age. Oh well..

I give 60 cents to any bum that approaches me while walking. Zero when Im driving.

That's my bum policy.

You actually have a bum policy? Is it written down somewhere? What if it is a really charming bum? What if the bum did a magic trick for you? Would if you had exactly .72 in your pocket? Would you give the bum .60, and keep the other .12? Of course you wouldn't.

Do you get to write off bum donations on your taxes?

I used to work downtown DC and I'd sometimes walk during lunch on good weather days.

I was walking and one guy was very persistent asking for money for he was hungry so I gave him my lunch (that is what his cardboard sign said too). He took it and then threw it on ground saying he wanted money for liquor. I have never given since.

Wanted to read the article but the Washington Post blocked it out. I did get options to read about Victoria Secret runway girls and some European Carshow with models so I picked those instead.....

Just clear the cookies like Buffalo News and it will let you do it first time.

For Buffalo News I just block all cookies and just ignore "you have so many free articles to read screen" and click to continue but not know if that works for Washington Times.