Rex Welcomes Coach Bylsma

I sit back today and ponder the coaching landscape in Buffalo over the last six months.

We have gone from Marrone and Nolan to Ryan and Bylsma. Think about that for a minute.

Now, after the realization that we have two of the most sought after coaches in their respective sport, say a tiny prayer of thanks that the Pegulas figured out how to frak!

I'm curious how people are not that high on Bylsma when he has a ring, but just love Rex even though he has yet to capture the golden chalice. Must be the undeniable cult of personality that is Rex Ryan.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting with this place. If we start 0-2, there will be some ready to burn the Ralph and TBD's servers to the ground.

There is a legitimate possibility of the Bills losing the first two....even at home.

Colts lost their first two last year and did just fine. I'd rather be hot late, than hot early. We all know how THAT goes........

There is a legitimate possibility of the Bills losing the first two....even at home.

Colts lost their first two last year and did just fine. I'd rather be hot late, than hot early. We all know how THAT goes........

Well they are playing the 2 teams that were in the AFC Championship game last season, so yes, it is possible. It's also possible they win both and also a possibility of a split....

edit: long shot for a tie as well...hey, it's possible.

I'm curious how people are not that high on Bylsma when he has a ring, but just love Rex even though he has yet to capture the golden chalice. Must be the undeniable cult of personality that is Rex Ryan.

I think there were more people, at least on this board, that were flat out against the hiring of Rex. Not many are saying horrible hire for Bylsma, some may not like it, but do a search on Rex and you'll find a ton of haters....

Edited by ricojes

...and that is how a reasonable, logical human being responds. Of course we could lose the first two and still be OK.

I'm just saying if it happens, the nattering nabobs of negativity will be out in force.

...and that is how a reasonable, logical human being responds. Of course we could lose the first two and still be OK.

I'm just saying if it happens, the nattering nabobs of negativity will be out in force.

Even if we win the first 2, but not impressive enough, the nattering nabobs will be out in force as well. Embarrassing wins!

1) I love Rex.

2) If you have doubts about Bylsma or think his success was only a result of Crosby and Malkin, you should read this interesting piece by Travis Yost in which he analyzes DB's coaching career with the Pens and his record with and without Crosby/Malkin:

http://www.tsn.ca/bylsma-can-stand-on-his-track-record-1.293813

Edited by Peter

Agreed. Bylsma, not so much. He -like Eichel- was our 2nd choice. We brazenly Tank an entire 81 game season just to be distant bridesmaids..

At least we have Rex.

Pretty pessimistic there, my friend. While Eichel may be our 2nd choice, it's like saying you missed out on a chance to date Scarlett Johanssen and wound up "settling" for Sofia Vergara. 3rd choice was your 2nd cousin Susie.

Also, Byslma had the "stink" of being fired but when you compare his resume with Babcock's it ain't shabby.

How about our Buffalo Sabres hiring an American coach and about to draft an American to be the face of the franchise? U-S-A!

Pretty pessimistic there, my friend. While Eichel may be our 2nd choice, it's like saying you missed out on a chance to date Scarlett Johanssen and wound up "settling" for Sofia Vergara. 3rd choice was your 2nd cousin Susie.

Also, Byslma had the "stink" of being fired but when you compare his resume with Babcock's it ain't shabby.

How about our Buffalo Sabres hiring an American coach and about to draft an American to be the face of the franchise? U-S-A!

It is interesting how some on this board seem to view the world as some in the Buffalo News sports department do: they can always find the dark cloud in the silver lining. Edited by Peter

It is interesting how some on this board seem to view the world as some in the Buffalo News sports department do: they can always find the dark cloud in the silver lining.

maybe they are basing their opinion on what they read in the BN.... Scary thought

I think the analogy would be if Rex had Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers instead of Sanchez, he would be a better coach. DB had 2 of the best players in the NHL so it's a lot easier to win.

Personally, I don't think a hockey coach really doesn't matter that much. If the young players the Sabres have live up to their potential, he will do a good job. If he has the same garbage we had this year, he will do a bad job.

The Blackhawks and Lightning are good teams because they have top 10 players. I think coaching in the NFL matters more than in hockey. JMO though.

maybe they are basing their opinion on what they read in the BN.... Scary thought

And, in some cases, what they write there . . . .

I am convinced that a couple of those guys at TBN post here and on the Aud Club board to push their narratives.

Edited by Peter

Best Bills coaching hire ever.

I'm in the Rex fan club.

Been following Rex in NJ for his Jet career and hopefully he holds our players more accountable than in the past as players started to do whatever they wanted after 2 to 3 years of his start there. Great motivator but sometimes players take advantage of his laxness for rules....

Agreed. Bylsma, not so much. He -like Eichel- was our 2nd choice. We brazenly Tank an entire 81 game season just to be distant bridesmaids..

At least we have Rex.

Eichel is a stud. Don't let Canadian bias get in the way. The kid was one of Team USA's best players at the World Championships this month playing against professionals while McDavid was getting shut down in the OHL finals by 20 year old kids. Both will be Hall of Famers, but I'm not ready to say McDavid is clearly #1 anymore ... and a lot of scouts are saying the same after Eichel's IIHF performance.

Sure Bylsma wasn't Buffalo's first choice but that doesn't mean he's not a damn good coach. He got a lot of flack for early playoff exits but everyone has forgotten that MA Fleury was putting up horrendous performances in between the pipes. He was the main reason for most if not all of those series losses.

Partly it is because Bylsma had great players. Some think he underachieved given the Pens roster he was handed. Being the coach of the Sabres is going to be a new experience for him and we will see how he does. But yes with Rex it is 90% his personality. Hard not to like the guy as a fan.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Sure Bylsma wasn't Buffalo's first choice but that doesn't mean he's not a damn good coach. He got a lot of flack for early playoff exits but everyone has forgotten that MA Fleury was putting up horrendous performances in between the pipes. He was the main reason for most if not all of those series losses.

Just for the record it is Bylsma's run and gun system that allows his goalie to be exposed to odd man rushes, which is one of the reasons why fluery never put up great numbers. In the playoffs teams tend to figure him out because of the repitition. But I do like the hire, he was the best coach out there next to Babcock and the gap is narrower than some think.

Babcock wins one cup with a team full of stud veterans. Bylsma wins one with two stars and not much else.

Edited by CJallDAY

Partly it is because Bylsma had great players. Some think he underachieved given the Pens roster he was handed. Being the coach of the Sabres is going to be a new experience for him and we will see how he does. But yes with Rex it is his 90% his personality. Hard not to like the guy as a fan.

Couldn't you use the same logic with Babcock? He had a pretty nice roster and only won one cup...

Babcock was my first choice followed by McClellan & then Bylsma.

My early prediction for the Bills is that we will lose the first game to Indy & then beat the Pats in week 2 to start of a nice winning streak on our way to taking the division.

Couldn't you use the same logic with Babcock? He had a pretty nice roster and only won one cup...

Yes you could to some degree. But go down some of the Pens Rosters and you see names like Crosby, Dupois, Malkin, Fleury, Kunitz, and so on. Loaded is an understatement. On this Sabres team we will see how he does with a couple players and lots of youth that needs to be developed.

Yes you could to some degree. But go down some of the Pens Rosters and you see names like Crosby, Dupois, Malkin, Fleury, Kunitz, and so on. Loaded is an understatement. On this Sabres team we will see how he does with a couple players and lots of youth that needs to be developed.

You also need to look at how many man-games Crosby, Malkin, etc. lost to injury during Disco Dan's tenure. It was a ton.