Report- Bills hoping to extend Dareus before Training Camp

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that. For me he has passed the threshold for trying to extend him. I think it would be a mistake to sign him long-term deal for top dollar. My point is I think he might well end up being worth it, but hasn't really been able to prove it yet. When he does prove it, our choices will be to pay for that, or lose him. It all comes down to the specifics to assess if it is a good value/risk. I think we should try for a mid-level starter extension now and set the team up to have a favorable value. Yes, there is risk, but I'm convinced he has a good "floor" and you can't really plan around the possibility of injury.

He hasn't proved it? Are you kidding? DT hardly ever get 10 sacks and he did it back to back years, completely plugged up the run once we went to a wide 9, and has been very durable since the start. your thinking like the losing Bills from our past. We would develop players and then other teams get the benefit of their skills in their second contract in their prime. Jason Peters, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, and the list goes on.

The most important thing we can do is retain our players who are our top talent, like the Packers. They just resigned Bulaga, and one other starter this off season. The solution is to redo Mario's deal as new money is coming. The cap goes up due to new TV money quite a bit over the next two years, we have a cheap QB option now, if we draft a solid QB next year, we have three to four years of cheap talent. Also, an open bid next year extending TR nights form 8 to 15 so more than double what they bring in now. Over 50% of this new revenue goes to the players per the CBA.

We have a chance to keep our studs and have the #1 defense in the NFL. I love Russell Wilson, but face it, they went to the SB back to back and really should have won the second one on a #1 defense, a solid line, and a great running game. I'll take our WR and TE's over theirs. Shady, and company should be able to match Lynch's production if we have enough as an offensive line. I believe Rex can get us to the #1 defense, and that alone will get us to 10 wins. We just need a top 5 running game, and top 16 passing game. i believe we can do that with a Roman led offense and our talent.

So yes, extend Marcel with a lot guaranteed, but not as high as Watt, or McCoy.

If Dareus thinks he can get top dollar after this season, then he will probably avoid signing soon. If he wants an insurance policy in case he isn't as good or gets injured during this season, then he may be willing to sign for a slightly lesser amount now. My bet is that he will wait until after the season and expect the HUGE payday.

Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. I was engaging klos63 in conversation about Glenn in my post you quoted (above), not Dareus. I think Marcell HAS shown he is a top DT and deserves top money. He's the kind of player you build a championship team around, and good teams don't let get away.

I hope we offer him as solid top tier contract with significant up-front money. With the Pegulas, the Bills can configure contracts that are more attractive to players than contracts with the same ongoing cap hit cash-poor teams (like the Bills past) can offer. That said, more up-front cash does mean more risk if the player does not play their full contract, for whatever reason.

First off, your comments are not true. While there may have been some frustrated fans, many still stuck up and supported Ralph. If you are a true fan of the Bills you should have better respect for the founder of the Bills in regards to his passing.

I agree John, no class

Ralph was trashed more often than not during his ownership. In my opinion, deservedly so. If he could have learned how to work with people like Chuck Knox, Polian, and Butler, we probably wouldn't have had such long stretches of failure. When he neared the end, we got emotional about him, it happens, he seemed like a very nice gentleman. But as far as football goes. Not too good.

I dont know you and I dont like you already......how dare you talk about Ralph WIlson like that

I have read much worse comments about Ralph on this board....and I doubt Klos cares that you don't like him.

Sorry, didn't know there was a rule about not criticizing Ralph. Please tell me what we are allowed to say in this forum.

You're free to say a lot of things. We're free to call you out if those things are classless.

I will never understand need to denigrate a man who, by all accounts, had a positive impact on many lives in Buffalo. Yeah, we had some bad football teams, but the man gave away millions in charity. Get some perspective.

Edited by FireChan

ok thanks. Thought I may have missed something.

Im not suggesting banning at all.......but a little more respect for Ralph WIlson would be nice.......

I have read much worse comments about Ralph on this board....and I doubt Klos cares that you don't like him.

and I dont care that he doesnt care.....that was class less bs

You're free to say a lot of things. We're free to call you out if those things are classless.

I will never understand need to denigrate a man who, by all accounts, had a positive impact on many lives in Buffalo. Yeah, we had some bad football teams, but the man gave away millions in charity. Get some perspective.

Ok how's this.

As a private citizen, Ralph seemed like a wonderful person. Did a lot for charity. Thumbs up.

As a owner of a football team, pretty lousy record over 50+ years. I , like most people, are excited about the Pegulas because they appear to bring to the team what Wilson did not, a total commitment to winning.

I don't think criticism of his football record is 'denigrating' the man. It's a fair critique.

I don't think criticism of his football record is 'denigrating' the man. It's a fair critique.

"Let's look at the last 50 years of comments about Ralph until he croaked. Nothing very positive about him until the end."

Only according to posters too young to know better or trolls from other cities. Which are you?

"Let's look at the last 50 years of comments about Ralph until he croaked. Nothing very positive about him until the end."

Only according to posters too young to know better or trolls from other cities. Which are you?

I started going to games in 1970, if you are old enough to go back that far, there were very few kind words said about Ralph back then.

there is a bit a wiggle room in between those 2 criteria. If you can grasp that.

I started going to games in 1970, if you are old enough to go back that far, there were very few kind words said about Ralph back then.

there is a bit a wiggle room in between those 2 criteria. If you can grasp that.

Sure, I can grasp it. Been going to games just as long. During the 2-12 years everybody was a target, including Ralph. But to say there wasn't much positive being said about him over the past 50 years is flat out incorrect.

Still, since you left Buffalo 35 years ago, I guess you haven't been that close to the situation. A little hyperbole can be overlooked, I suppose...

Sure, I can grasp it. Been going to games just as long. During the 2-12 years everybody was a target, including Ralph. But to say there wasn't much positive being said about him over the past 50 years is flat out incorrect.

Still, since you left Buffalo 35 years ago, I guess you haven't been that close to the situation. A little hyperbole can be overlooked, I suppose...

I didn't leave Buffalo 35 years ago, not sure where you pulled that one from. Also, you don't need to be geographically close to a situation to understand it. There are ways to stay on top of things... internet, newcasts....

I stand by what I said, Ralph was a target during the down years, and there were way too many down years.

I didn't leave Buffalo 35 years ago, not sure where you pulled that one from. Also, you don't need to be geographically close to a situation to understand it. There are ways to stay on top of things... internet, newcasts....

I stand by what I said, Ralph was a target during the down years, and there were way too many down years.

I dont hate your posts for disliking Ralph Wilson...because we had a losing team...that is your right as a fan......

But you talk of the passing of Ralph WIlsons say it with god damn reverence........talking about how he "croaked" did set me off a bit......

Ralph Wilson did not croak

The great man that was Ralph Wilson passed away after making sure that the city of Buffalo would not lose their team.......and while doing so was a huge giver in charities along the way......