No QB competition in Jersey: Geno is the starter

Every QB has good games against teams running for the bus.

except Orton

I will look into that. I do know one was heavily dependent on Justin Rogers being the starting corner for the Bills.

When looking at the composite stats for any QB, look out for the ones that are mostly poor outings skewed by a smattering of outstanding ones vs. those that have a majority of good games that are heavily influenced by a few bad ones.

Btw, last year Kyle Orton had only 4 of his 12 starts with a tQBR at 50+, 2 vs. the Jets.

he had a statistically (I didn't see it) great game against the imploding Fish last year in the last game and another good one against the Chudzinski Browns in the last game of 2013.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of observations. First, Geno improved dramatically last year from his first year. QB rating up, sacks taken down and TD/INT ratio got better. Sure they drafted Bryce Petty in the 4th round, but why on Earth would anyone think there needs to be an open competition to see who starts? Fitzpatrick is a known commodity and nothing better than a backup. Chan will be great for Petty and Geno's development, but Geno should be the starter. I've said this before and about Manuel as well. You don't draft a guy in the first round, start him out of the box and then bench him. It is beyond stupid and only slows the growth of the quarterback. I think it's a great move for the Jets to give all the first team reps to Geno and see what he can do. If he turns in another year like last (which was far from great mind you) or doesn't really improve a lot, they can move on with Petty next year.

I have a couple of observations. First, Geno improved dramatically last year from his first year. QB rating up, sacks taken down and TD/INT ratio got better. Sure they drafted Bryce Petty in the 4th round, but why on Earth would anyone think there needs to be an open competition to see who starts? Fitzpatrick is a known commodity and nothing better than a backup. Chan will be great for Petty and Geno's development, but Geno should be the starter. I've said this before and about Manuel as well. You don't draft a guy in the first round, start him out of the box and then bench him. It is beyond stupid and only slows the growth of the quarterback. I think it's a great move for the Jets to give all the first team reps to Geno and see what he can do. If he turns in another year like last (which was far from great mind you) or doesn't really improve a lot, they can move on with Petty next year.

agreed, but I think it shows they are in somewhat of a rebuild process vs a "win now." This also was shown by hiring a HC without experience. Nothing wrong with it, but the Bills have never really been in a position to just throw EJ out there and let him sink or swim.

Geno has had some great games, so the potential is there, he just needs to cut down on stupid decisions. Whether that will happen or not, who knows. It'll be interesting to see him work under Chan, at the very least. I don't know why everyone expects every QB to be great so early in their careers... he's young, who knows what the future holds.

And yet we do the same with EJ Manuel.......

Gino had no where to go but up in the Int department.

We were ready to burn Ej at the stake after the interception that went for a td against Houston

And yet we do the same with EJ Manuel.......

Gino had no where to go but up in the Int department.

We were ready to burn Ej at the stake after the interception that went for a td against Houston

That's because he plays for someone else. If Geno were the Bills QB during his first 2 season everyone would be all but done with him.

Pretty much why the backup QB position is the best place to be on the Bills. Everyone on TBD is talking about you.

And saying "we" is painting broad strokes. There are plenty, including myself that were in favor of EJ being benched after the Houston game but that doesn't mean people gave up on him.

Edited by The Wiz

That's because he plays for someone else. If Geno were the Bills QB during his first 2 season everyone would be all but done with him.

Pretty much why the backup QB position is the best place to be on the Bills. Everyone on TBD is talking about you.

And saying "we" is painting broad strokes. There are plenty, including myself that were in favor of EJ being benched after the Houston game but that doesn't mean people gave up on him.

this. I understood why he was benched last year but don't understand why he wasn't playing in the last game in Foxboro, or why he is considered unsalvageable, but a guy like Geno is salvageable.

this. I understood why he was benched last year but don't understand why he wasn't playing in the last game in Foxboro, or why he is considered unsalvageable, but a guy like Geno is salvageable.

Does anyone consider that?

The only difference I can think of is that Geno is a better passer, but makes bad decisions and people think it's easier to teach him how to make better decisions than to reteach a QB how to throw.

Does anyone consider that?

Plenty of opinions from near and far that Geno > EJ ( mostly due to assuming the benching is a sign of greater "suckitude") or that they are mostly the same which I'd highly dipsute. EJ has shown a much greater tendency to give his team a chance to win. I do not beleive the Bills wil have poor QB play in 2015 or should be in a panic. They have 3 chances for someone to stand and deliver decent QB play.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

The only difference I can think of is that Geno is a better passer, but makes bad decisions and people think it's easier to teach him how to make better decisions than to reteach a QB how to throw.

The bad decisions is a slippery slope though. At what point do you teach a QB how to make better decisions without turning him into a check down expert like EJ turned into.

He might have the ability to get better at learning not to just go with his gut and heave it but as myself and others have said, when EJ is running the 2 minute drill and just playing naturally, he has both the decision making and passing ability (not thinking about what he's not suppose to do).

I'll admit I don't watch the Jets unless the Bills are playing them so I don't have a lot of info on Geno but so far, he has looked worse off than EJ.

Edited by The Wiz

Consider what? EJ isn't salvageable or Geno is?

Both. Is there somebody who thinks EJ's got no shot, but Geno does? I've never seen them. Now if we're talking Geno has no shot, but EJ does, that's like half this topic.

Edited by FireChan

ill be curious to see how he looks in a chan offense. ill take my lumps and say i liked him more than EJ in the draft lead up and thought he would be our guy. i also thought the jets were about the worst spot possible for him - so as a bills fan it was great to see him land there still.

I'm with you. I thought Geno did a decent job getting the ball out under pressure which is always a pretty big attribute for me. I also liked Glennon better than Ej too. Just assumed after we took ej that the off field intangibles were that much better with EJ than the others.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

I realize that we is probably not the best term.....

I just find it funny how a lot of people that are making interesting excuses why it is ok for the jets to NOT have given up on Gino and ALL BUT given up on EJ and cite the same reasons.

Both. Is there somebody who thinks EJ's got no shot, but Geno does? I've never seen them. Now if we're talking Geno has no shot, but EJ does, that's like half this topic.

Well that depends on Leroi.

I would include you and maybe a few others but at least you offer counter points instead of just saying "he's got no shot".

I realize that we is probably not the best term.....

I just find it funny how a lot of people that are making interesting excuses why it is ok for the jets to NOT have given up on Gino and ALL BUT given up on EJ and cite the same reasons.

Everyone else is better because they aren't on the bills. I recall a very long metzelaars thread not to long ago for this reason.

Geno's QB rating in the final four games of last season: 106.5. I've said it before - he has a good skill set and real potential. He's fluid and throws a very nice ball. He just has to learn to eliminate the mistakes. Whether he can do that is anyone's guess, but he definitely made progress toward the end of last season.

The bad decisions is a slippery slope though. At what point do you teach a QB how to make better decisions without turning him into a check down expert like EJ turned into.

He might have the ability to get better at learning not to just go with his gut and heave it but as myself and others have said, when EJ is running the 2 minute drill and just playing naturally, he has both the decision making and passing ability (not thinking about what he's not suppose to do).

I'll admit I don't watch the Jets unless the Bills are playing them so I don't have a lot of info on Geno but so far, he has looked worse off than EJ.

The thing is, he did make fewer bad decisions down the stretch last year. Granted, it was just a four-game span, but one has to start somewhere.

Geno looks more natural playing the position, I think the knock on him is that he doesn't want to put the work in. If he had the work ethic and dedication of EJ, he'd been the No. 1 pick

Every QB has good games against teams running for the bus.

The Dolphins weren't running for the bus at all. They led 24-14 at the half and genuinely wanted to finish over .500 (9-7). Smith happened to play extremely well in the second half of that game.

Geno looks more natural playing the position, I think the knock on him is that he doesn't want to put the work in. If he had the work ethic and dedication of EJ, he'd been the No. 1 pick

That nails it, I think. He definitely looks more natural. We'll see if the dedication increases this year.