Tannehill extended through 2020

VS a guy who can't reach half those numbers for a tenth of the price. Yes. In a heartbeat. I'd sign Tanny at that price and not look back.

I understand where youre coming from, but think it's more influenced by how poor our QB situation has been for over a decade than Tannehill being a good QB.

Poor decision making, even worse under pressure. He has a couple of good stats, but they arent anything special for a player with that many games and attempts.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where youre coming from, but think it's more influenced by how poor our QB situation has been for over a decade than Tannehill being a good QB.

Poor decision making, even worse under pressure. He has a couple of good stats, but they arent anything special for a player with that many games and attempts.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think a lot of folks on here think he's nothing special because they're Bills fans. JMO.

Same ? I posed to NoSaint. Are there any guys in the top ten of yards/TD's that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

Edited by FireChan

I think a lot of folks on here think he's nothing special because they're Bills fans. JMO.

I'm guilty of that. He plays poorly against the Bills, like he's scared. If he plays like a boss against the other 30 teams, that's fine with me so long as he looks like a dog against the Bills.

Same ? I posed to NoSaint. Are there any guys in the top ten of yards/TD's that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

I dont doubt that influences some opinions, and it probably plays a bit into mine. But I was never high on him going all the way back to A&M. If there is any "dolphin influence" for me, it's that I've been able to see him play twice a year and have him confirm "he is who I thought he was".

Looking at the ESPN stat rankings, no. Besides not wanting Tom Brady which is completely due to rivalry, I'd take any of the other top-10 QBs over Tannehill. Tanny would be my last choice of the bunch if I was ranking them. And there are a few QBs from below him that I would gladly take over him.

Funny enough, looking at this list, Tannehill is basically the cut-off between what I would consider great QBs, and then a bunch of guys. Except for maybe Flacco, Wilson, and Newton.

he was almost benched last year and he has not gotten them to the playoffs. But hey, they kind of had no choice.

This is what sticks out in my mind. They almost benched him a few games into the season last year and played decent the rest of the year, which earned him that contract. It's a scary proposition. If EJ wins the starting job and plays average and they win 10 games, that is the contract he'll get. I'm an EJ supporter, but that's terrifying.

Is there another QB in the top ten of "volume stats" that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

If his YPA was higher, he wouldn't be a good QB, he'd be in Aaron Rodgers' company.

Jay Cutler (13th and 10th) :lol:

Honestly though Tannehills stats are decent, but isn't there a problem with his long game that may lead to issues down the road?

Is there another QB in the top ten of "volume stats" that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

If his YPA was higher, he wouldn't be a good QB, he'd be in Aaron Rodgers' company.

his YPA can go up and still leave him in the bottom half of that metric.

obviously id like any of those top 10 volume guys because the top 10 healthy guys are all pretty good qbs. as are the next handful of guys. i didnt say i hate him or anything, but when using yardage and falling out of the top 10 it gets a lot more hit or miss on quality. you get some guys that move up the board based on a lot of attempts and health. hes one of those, but that doesnt mean hes trash.

This is what sticks out in my mind. They almost benched him a few games into the season last year and played decent the rest of the year, which earned him that contract. It's a scary proposition. If EJ wins the starting job and plays average and they win 10 games, that is the contract he'll get. I'm an EJ supporter, but that's terrifying.

I doubt that. Tannehill has been a "decent" starter for them since his rookie year. EJ doesnt have 16 games under his belt going into year 3. Even if he did play well this year, he wouldnt command that much. It wouldnt be peanuts, but it wouldnt be $16mil/year either. At least I hope not.

I dont doubt that influences some opinions, and it probably plays a bit into mine. But I was never high on him going all the way back to A&M. If there is any "dolphin influence" for me, it's that I've been able to see him play twice a year and have him confirm "he is who I thought he was".

Looking at the ESPN stat rankings, no. Besides not wanting Tom Brady which is completely due to rivalry, I'd take any of the other top-10 QBs over Tannehill. Tanny would be my last choice of the bunch if I was ranking them. And there are a few QBs from below him that I would gladly take over him.

Funny enough, looking at this list, Tannehill is basically the cut-off between what I would consider great QBs, and then a bunch of guys. Except for maybe Flacco, Wilson, and Newton.

That's sorta my point. He's right around a bunch of guys who everyone would take no question. But with Tanny (for whatever reason), questions start popping up. He's definitely had some stinkers against the Bills, but he's had some lights out games as well, especially against NE.

Edited by FireChan

This is great news for Buffalo. :beer:

Yup

For the most part Buffalo has OWNED Tannahill......and they just put a huge part of their cap into him.....

I know that we need better QB play but THIS is what happens when you think you have a franchise QB.....u sink resources into that position and cant upgrade in other areas.

That's sorta my point. He's right around a bunch of guys who everyone would take no question. But with Tanny (for whatever reason), questions start popping up. He's definitely had some stinkers against the Bills, but he's had some lights out games as well, especially against NE.

IMO, he's under the guys everyone would take no question, and right around a bunch of guys that start to get iffy. And as you point out, he's inconsistent with his play, but he does manage to stay healthy.

You can have him. :nana:B-):beer: :beer:

Edited by DrDareustein

like i joked, jp losman was in that area when he started 16 games.

tannehill is good. id take him over our guys easy. and several others in the league. but id also have some reservations about whether he would get over that hump and be more productive on a per snap basis.

I doubt that. Tannehill has been a "decent" starter for them since his rookie year. EJ doesnt have 16 games under his belt going into year 3. Even if he did play well this year, he wouldnt command that much. It wouldnt be peanuts, but it wouldnt be $16mil/year either. At least I hope not.

Maybe you're right. I just assumed it would be a big contract because that's the trend lately. If they think he might be the guy, they pay him like he is.

I think he'll have a fine career. Already impressed with his pose and accuracy. Obviously, so is Miami.

i dont think this deal on its face says they are impressed. its definitely a step back from the franchise guys and in the group that is paid as a starter but need to take a step forward. still a better spot than we are though.

IMO, he's under the guys everyone would take no question, and right around a bunch of guys that start to get iffy. And as you point out, he's inconsistent with his play, but he does manage to stay healthy.

You can have him. :nana:B-):beer: :beer:

You wouldn't take Flacco/Romo/Wilson no question? 12, 14, 15 behind Tanny's 11 in total yards?

Doesn't seem like a huge risk for them.

Per a league source, Tannehill receives $21.5 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Another $3.5 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2016, and another $3.5 million becomes fully guaranteed in 2017. The rest of the guarantees ($16.5 million) become fully guaranteed in 2018.

As a practical matter, then, Tannehill will get $25 million fully guaranteed over the next two seasons — unless the Dolphins cut him before next March and let him walk away with $21.5 million over one year.