Is the Flutie Curse over with?

Flutie take a sack for a safety? Maybe, maybe not. More than likely he would have been too busy coughing up the ball to other team so they can score TD's:

"Doug Flutie sacked by Ray Mickens for -5 yards. Doug Flutie fumbles (forced by Ray Mickens), recovered by Eric Ogbogu at BUF-0, touchdown."

In case you were wondering: 11/21/1999 at the Jets. Interesting enough, the Bills had three turnovers in that game. I just posted one. Care to guess which player(s) did the other two?

Here's a hint: Comp-Att-Yd-TD-INT / 22-40-220-1-2

Yep, another 1 TD / 3 TO game for Flutie. Another game lost.

It was almost 4 turnovers, but the ball bounced out of bounds:

"Doug Flutie up the middle for 23 yards (tackle by Victor Green). Doug Flutie fumbles (forced by Victor Green), ball out of bounds at NYJ-22"

Noticed where the ball was at - The Jets 22. Two plays later, from the Jets 10 yard line, Flutie threw a pick.

This was hashed out 15+ years ago. Let it go. Accept it. Flutie was a mediocre QB at best.

For all of the great plays he did to keep a drive alive, a few plays later, he would do something completely boneheaded,

like force a throw into double/triple coverage while a receiver would be wide open on the other side of the field.

Flutie was an average QB, especially his last year as a full time starter in Buffalo, but Johnson was a below average QB. This is a fact. There is no arguing this. Flutie plays in the Titans game we win going away. Also, that Miami game the year before, Flutie was careless with the ball that day, but he made throws/plays in that game that RoJo couldn't make in his dreams. Didn't Flutie throw for like 400 yards that day? The real goat in that game was Andre Reed & that stupid penalty he took on the final drive.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By considering context. QBs don't "win" or "lose" games, btw.

Tell that to fans of other teams that have had franchise QBS over the last 15 years or so. Biggest myth around here. True Franchise QBs certainly do win games for teams.

If Flutie had been our QB in the early 90s do you think we'd have taken at least one of those SBs?

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

Flutie was an average QB, especially his last year as a full time starter in Buffalo, but Johnson was a below average QB. This is a fact. There is no arguing this.

1 poster stated he thought Johnson had a pretty good game. Otherwise, I do not think anybody is actually arguing Johnson was a good QB.

Flutie plays in the Titans game we win going away. Also, that Miami game the year before, Flutie was careless with the ball that day, but he made throws/plays in that game that RoJo couldn't make in his dreams. Didn't Flutie throw for like 400 yards that day? The real goat in that game was Andre Reed & that stupid penalty he took on the final drive.

1. We will disagree on Flutie winning the Titans playoff game.

2. I could argue Flutie had to throw the ball almost 400 yards, because he kept turning the ball over.

3. Reed did not take the penalty on the final drive. That would have been the drive before, where the Bills still walked away with a FG. The final drive ended when Flutie fumbled the ball. AGAIN.

4. Reed is the goat of the game because of a penalty and/or fumble? Why not Moulds? Heck, he fumbled once and took a 15yd face mask. Well, the face mask did come as he was tackling

the Dolphins player who picked off Flutie in the Miami endzone. Reeds penalty - team still scores 3. Fluties screw up - team scores 0. But its Reeds fault. Whatever.

Flutie take a sack for a safety? Maybe, maybe not. More than likely he would have been too busy coughing up the ball to other team so they can score TD's:

"Doug Flutie sacked by Ray Mickens for -5 yards. Doug Flutie fumbles (forced by Ray Mickens), recovered by Eric Ogbogu at BUF-0, touchdown."

In case you were wondering: 11/21/1999 at the Jets. Interesting enough, the Bills had three turnovers in that game. I just posted one. Care to guess which player(s) did the other two?

Here's a hint: Comp-Att-Yd-TD-INT / 22-40-220-1-2

Yep, another 1 TD / 3 TO game for Flutie. Another game lost.

It was almost 4 turnovers, but the ball bounced out of bounds:

"Doug Flutie up the middle for 23 yards (tackle by Victor Green). Doug Flutie fumbles (forced by Victor Green), ball out of bounds at NYJ-22"

Noticed where the ball was at - The Jets 22. Two plays later, from the Jets 10 yard line, Flutie threw a pick.

Glass is 1/2 empty I see.

I for one would be very happy if this season we have a QB who plays well enough for us to win 10 games. He can totally blow the other 5 on our way to playoffs as far as I'm concerned.

1 poster stated he thought Johnson had a pretty good game. Otherwise, I do not think anybody is actually arguing Johnson was a good QB.

1. We will disagree on Flutie winning the Titans playoff game.

2. I could argue Flutie had to throw the ball almost 400 yards, because he kept turning the ball over.

3. Reed did not take the penalty on the final drive. That would have been the drive before, where the Bills still walked away with a FG. The final drive ended when Flutie fumbled the ball. AGAIN.

4. Reed is the goat of the game because of a penalty and/or fumble? Why not Moulds? Heck, he fumbled once and took a 15yd face mask. Well, the face mask did come as he was tackling

the Dolphins player who picked off Flutie in the Miami endzone. Reeds penalty - team still scores 3. Fluties screw up - team scores 0. But its Reeds fault. Whatever.

Your right about the Reed penalty. I will state this, there is not a QB in the league that doesn't fumble the ball on the hit that Armstrong laid on Flutie on that final drive.

Late in the first half, Flutie throws a perfect pass for a TD, Moulds just barely doesn't get his foot down in bounds. A couple plays later, Reed slips which causes the first INT. (The announcers said both things, not me).

Second half he fumbles after evading the first guy that breaks through and didn't see the second. His fault for fumbling. Not a crazy or reckless gamble.

Then Flutie throws a great TD pass to Moulds.

Then Flutie hits Andre with a nice pass and gainer but Andre fumbles.

Then Flutie throws great pass to Andre, should get in for TD, doesn't, bumps the official so it's brought back to the 16. Andre gets thrown out.

Then he leads them all the way down the field again. Picks up a third down on his own, and we all know the Trace Armstrong play.

He was great that game.

Here are the highlights.

Your right about the Reed penalty. I will state this, there is not a QB in the league that doesn't fumble the ball on the hit that Armstrong laid on Flutie on that final drive.

i didn't rewatch the Trace Armstrong hit, but besides your point, wouldn't it be a leading with the helmet these days?

All I'm saying is stats don't mean squat unless you're holding the trophie when the season is over, I know Flutie was far better than Johnson I never said he wasn't and I'm also saying Flutie lost in the playoffs with Bills not Flutie alone the year before the Titans game

well all your saying is wrong, and showing us all that you dont know much about football. The long passes and big plays flutie made all game were more than adequate to win the game. the arrogant receivers who thought they could just do their thing and fumbling away 3 balls that could have ended with td's would of allowed us to blow out miami. Having rj in was like watching a guy play qb in a wheel chair. He was pathetic. if you bothered watching youd see the defense and running game won that game. Then special teams lost it. In miami, flutie won the game offensively but bad defense, fumbling receivers, and bad pass protection lost the game. It was never fluties fault for being sacked, he was elusive and smart a qb as they come, if he got sacked-no one was open, or someone missed a block. When RJ got sacked it was because the mental midget inside him couldnt figure out which guy to throw to. He only managed a decent drive vs a prevent where everyones open underneath and still looked stupid when his shoe came off. Guy was a joke. Flutie was twice the man RJ was in half the body.

well all your saying is wrong, and showing us all that you dont know much about football. The long passes and big plays flutie made all game were more than adequate to win the game. the arrogant receivers who thought they could just do their thing and fumbling away 3 balls that could have ended with td's would of allowed us to blow out miami. Having rj in was like watching a guy play qb in a wheel chair. He was pathetic. if you bothered watching youd see the defense and running game won that game. Then special teams lost it. In miami, flutie won the game offensively but bad defense, fumbling receivers, and bad pass protection lost the game. It was never fluties fault for being sacked, he was elusive and smart a qb as they come, if he got sacked-no one was open, or someone missed a block. When RJ got sacked it was because the mental midget inside him couldnt figure out which guy to throw to. He only managed a decent drive vs a prevent where everyones open underneath and still looked stupid when his shoe came off. Guy was a joke. Flutie was twice the man RJ was in half the body.

How is the fumble not Flutie's fault? He clearly had time to throw the ball away well before the hit.

RJ held the ball too long because he was indecisive. Flutie couldn't read a defense to save his life and planned on scrambling every time he got the ball. He was elusive. He was not smart. It's why he was only "magic" between the 20 yard lines. With a short field, there wasn't enough room for his "magic." He was horrible. A horrible football player and a horrible teammate. A slippery little schit, on the field and in the locker room. The worst Bill in the history of the franchise (based on football performance and leadership/teamwork), by far.

A Super Bowl win will be the only time I celebrate more than the day that piece of crap left Orchard Park for the last time.

Was Flutie a hall a famer? Yes or no

The fact that the Hall of Fame is the "Pro Football Hall of Fame" if you take into account the fact that he's one of, if not the greatest quarterbacks in CFL history, yeah. Just his NFL career? Nah.

I should have been clear, the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame