5/14: Leodis Speaks

Whaley has been consistently saying that he has now built the roster to where he can do what he feels is the correct development at certain positions, which is give rookies a redshirt year before they need to start. CB is a position where it is very critical especially of the areas where polish is needed include technique (like Darby). I wouldn't be surprised if Leo is "available" but it would need to be at the right price (agree they would want 3rd or higher which they are unlikely to get) and even then I think Graham would start over Darby.

I mostly agree with this...No one knows what Darby will look like in the NFL yet...It's not like he's a top 10 pick where you expect him to start right away...You don't trade McK, who more or less has proven himself now...for an unknown. Defense is clearly the strength of this team going into the season, you don't want to gamble with a crucial part of that.

Last year was a good example of what happens to a Rex Ryan defense without good CBs...And BTW, those CBs for the Jets last year were high CB picks by Ryan, like Darby.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think overall McKelvin is a very good corner and unless Darby looks like an all pro or McKelvin's play takes a drastic downward turn he will be one of our starting CBs this year but I can really see Darby being his replacement in the next couple years - you look at their measurables from the combine and Darby is similar or slightly better all around except in the BP where skinny little McKelvin knocked off a very impressive18 reps.

I mostly agree with this...No one knows what Darby will look like in the NFL yet...It's not like he's a top 10 pick where you expect him to start right away...You don't trade McK, who more or less has proven himself now...for an unknown. Defense is clearly the strength of this team going into the season, you don't want to gamble with a crucial part of that.

Last year was a good example of what happens to a Rex Ryan defense without good CBs...And BTW, those CBs for the Jets last year were high CB picks by Ryan, like Darby.

milliner was a great example of startng too soon in 2013. Last year though, after all the injuries and failure of Idzik to replace Cro or sign anyone, he was left with Darren walls and converted Safety Antonio Allen.

R.

I agree, Darby is expected to supplant Leo. Can't hurt testing his value, he would make good depth however. I'd trade him for a 3rd....

Imo

McKelvin is not going anywhere this year. He is a solid NFL starter, signed for multiple years yet, at a reasonable starting CB number for this year. Darby might be intended to ultimately replace McKelvin or Gilmore, but not this year barring injury. What happens if they can't keep Gilmore next year? The Bills would be very happy to have McKelvin I would say. The only CB getting cut is probably Brooks, again barring injury.

I thought he played really well last year right up until he was hurt. I heard some media saying pro bowl but what really impressed me about his play last year was his passion. I can't remember which game it was but one of our opponents were driving for the go ahead score and he started screaming at the defense and they held. It may have been Chicago.

The thing is Darby is in a good position of being able to not be "the guy" in Rex Ryan's defensive back gets put on island defense.........

This is a deep stable of backs....and Darby is gonna be the 3rd or 4th db this year.......we are deeeeep

Leodis stays for 1 more season.

his dead money is $2.75 mil this year, but only $1.0 mil next season.

He stays until he isn't a #1/2 corner anymore. That could be 5 more years, who knows. Graham more likely to leave as he is slowing down a little in my perception after watching him all last season. A great instinct player, but progressing toward a late career Draton florence status. He is not there yet, but, you can tell when he gets burned by the speed guys its over.

He stays until he isn't a #1/2 corner anymore. That could be 5 more years, who knows. Graham more likely to leave as he is slowing down a little in my perception after watching him all last season. A great instinct player, but progressing toward a late career Draton florence status. He is not there yet, but, you can tell when he gets burned by the speed guys its over.

It may be true that Graham has a little trouble with speed but he might be better against size than Mckelvin, I'm glad to have both on my team - Darby too - in fact I wouldn't complain about having 7 great CBs

I don't see this. Gilmore/Mckelvin/Graham/Darby are all locks and all would get playing time.

Brooks and Robey are in for a fight. Cockrell might be a goner.

But one injury in the secondary and you may have a rookie playing nickel/slot.

Brooks is in for fight Robey is loved by all. Cockrell? no idea yet.

He ( Ron ) looked a bit better last year than the horrid year before. When coming in for Gilmore.

Henderson is a god

Unless Leodis is hurt, I have no doubt that he will be starting on opening day.

ty

The thing is Darby is in a good position of being able to not be "the guy" in Rex Ryan's defensive back gets put on island defense.........

This is a deep stable of backs....and Darby is gonna be the 3rd or 4th db this year.......we are deeeeep

FINALLY ! this is so true Brother John !

Edited by 3rdand12

• 1 month later...