No one is talking about Belichick?

Interesting that no one is talking about possible actions against Bill Belichick as a result of deflategate. Sean Payton was suspended an entire year as the head coach of the Saints during bountygate, and the primary reason was for allowing an atmosphere that permitted his DC and players to do what they did.

To my knowledge, Payton had no previous issues in his past prior to bountygate, whereas Belichick has already had spygate.

The commissioner has stated in the past that "ignorance is not a defense", and I believe Payton's suspension was one of the occasions. Stands to reason that Belichick deserves to be held just as accountable as the head coach of a team that now has two separate scandals involving cheating.

What say you?

Unfortunately I think Belicheat will get away free on this one. I didn't read the whole report but I don't think it made any conclusions against him, only Brady and the two gophers. Not that I think he didn't know about it, just that there's not enough evidence against him. I think the organization as a whole will get punished, probably fines only but the NFL may conclude that those 3 acted alone and Belicheat himself threw Brady under the bus saying he didn't know about it. Hopefully this will put a wedge between the two of them.

Unfortunately I think Belicheat will get away free on this one. I didn't read the whole report but I don't think it made any conclusions against him, only Brady and the two gophers. Not that I think he didn't know about it, just that there's not enough evidence against him. I think the organization as a whole will get punished, probably fines only but the NFL may conclude that those 3 acted alone and Belicheat himself threw Brady under the bus saying he didn't know about it. Hopefully this will put a wedge between the two of them.

The OP's point was that this was the same with Payton, yet he got a full year suspension.

Interesting that no one is talking about possible actions against Bill Belichick as a result of deflategate. Sean Payton was suspended an entire year as the head coach of the Saints during bountygate, and the primary reason was for allowing an atmosphere that permitted his DC and players to do what they did.

To my knowledge, Payton had no previous issues in his past prior to bountygate, whereas Belichick has already had spygate.

The commissioner has stated in the past that "ignorance is not a defense", and I believe Payton's suspension was one of the occasions. Stands to reason that Belichick deserves to be held just as accountable as the head coach of a team that now has two separate scandals involving cheating.

What say you?

Agreed and I think he will get suspended too!

I don't think he'll get suspended because there was no intent to hurt other players and this will be considered a minor offense. However, I have wondered if he isn't the mastermind behind this. This could be less about Brady's preference for balls pressure, and more about Bellicheat knowing how this affects the fumble stats in the big picture.

The league investigation did not find evidence Coach Belichick had any knowledge of the process of handling footballs prior to the games.

Well, I guess that answers that. If only we had Tommy boys phone to look at....

The league investigation did not find evidence Coach Belichick had any knowledge of the process of handling footballs prior to the games.

I believe the same held true with the investigation during the Saints bountygate scandal. I don't believe Payton was ever implicated in the investigation report that proved he was knowledgeable of what was going on. Yet, he was suspended for allowing things within the organization to get so out of control. Maybe I'm wrong in how I remember that incident. However, as I've already stated Payton did not have any past history, Belichick does.

Anyone else think that with multiple cheating scandals each involving multiple personnel it's time to have the NFL install a permanent monitor in the Pats** organization with investigative power to make sure things are done on the up and up? That's what a govt regulator might do with a recidivist corporate violator that can't seem to police itself.

Edited by MattM

What say you?

I agree that the organization needs to be accountable, however, I also think the NFL will not be as harsh since it's not directly related to player safety.

Pats pulled the unethical substitution stuff on Baltimore, a game they were losing until they started exploiting the loophole in the rule that has since been changed.

Then they cheated the next week with the deflations.

Fines are meaningless, I want game 2 suspension

anything that goes down your at the top of the food chain, fits in with corrupt business. When they are found out the top guys plead I had no idea. Jimmy Haslam has this down but certainly not the only one

nfl findings on Payton:

When interviewed in 2012, Sean Payton claimed to be entirely unaware of the program, a claim contradicted by others. Further, prior to the Saints' opening game in 2011, Coach Payton received an email from a close associate that stated in part, "PS Greg Williams put me down for $5000 on Rogers (sic)." When shown the email during the course of the investigation, Coach Payton stated that it referred to a "bounty" on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by CardinalScotts

because he's Teflon Bill

the Wells report did not implicate him

that does no mean he wasn't aware of what was happening on the field.

Again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Bellicheat who told Tom to get a couple pounds of pressure taken off those balls. Those fumble stats may be more of the driving factor than the feel Brady preferred. Manipulating the ball to achieve fewer fumbles is EXACTLY the type of thing I'd expect from Bellicheat. Is that why Tom wouldn't turn his phone over? Did they ask Bill for his phone? Was that mentioned in the 200+ pages? Their past behavior does not earn the benefit of the doubt. Edited by Augie

Bellycheat was very quick to talk to Brady and then make him tell the whole team that he had no knowledge of what was going on. He has been around accusations before and knew that he had to distance himself as quickly as possible. What better way than than to step in front of the entire team and declare the whole situation is preposterous and make Brady declare the same, in front of everyone. Bellycheat is not getting away scott free here. And neither is the NE organization.