The Making of a modern QB

I just finished reading this book by Bruce Feldman and have to say I was disappointed. I was hoping for an instructional on how to develop QBs but it was more the real house wives of QB coaches.

It talked about Trent Dilfer's Elite 11 which showed how analytical he is and the reason he pushes so hard to develop QBs is because he was so disappointed with his own career. Makes me wonder if he has any arm left because I think he would be a great QB now. then it talked about Steve Clarkson who is overworking kids at 8yrs old, how Tom house fixed Tim Tebow, how George Whitfield does all kinds of crazy drills to make QBs like Manziel better and how they all dislike Clarkson.

I found this quote about Bryce Petty absolutely astounding and may be another regret of the QBs that got away. If we didn't waste our fourth on Bryce Brown we could have drafted Petty in the third and got a guard in the fourth.

"there was also a new darling of the Elite 11 staff : Baylor's hulking QB Bryce Petty, who wowed every one - including Army Rangers and Navy Seals ... Petty so impressed Command Sgt.Maj. Todd Burnett, the leader of a grueling six-and-a-half-hour training session, that Burnett approached the 6'3", 235 - pound Texan and said, "I don't get easily impressed, but I'd go to war with you," before handing the quarterback his own hat as a sign of respect." chapter 12 pg. 289 paragraph 1

If Petty can learn to read pro Defenses the Jets might have themselves a franchise QB.

I think Bennet's comments on Petty likely indicate 2 things. 1.Petty is one tough SOB. 2. How different success at something important like representing your country or staying alive in warfare are how different (and likely how silly) success in the entertainment medium of organized football are.

It was either Hollywood Henderson or noted Dallas misanthrope Duane Thomas who was once asked during the by design excessive Super Bowl hype whether the upcoming SB was the most important moment in his life.

His reply "If the Super Bowl is so important why do they play it every year?

Rob Johnson could have been good in another life.

If this other life included transplanting joe Montanas brain into his head

I think Bennet's comments on Petty likely indicate 2 things. 1.Petty is one tough SOB. 2. How different success at something important like representing your country or staying alive in warfare are how different (and likely how silly) success in the entertainment medium of organized football are.

It was either Hollywood Henderson or noted Dallas misanthrope Duane Thomas who was once asked during the by design excessive Super Bowl hype whether the upcoming SB was the most important moment in his life.

Misanthropes gonna hate.... Thanks for the new noun

It was Thomas, & the question was about "the ultimate game." Of course, Thomas' answer - "If it's the ultimate game, why are they playing it next year?" - was not only dead on accurate but also a high level piece of Existentialism and asked without a drop of humor. I don't remember the reporter's name but I will never forget his look of confusion and even fear. They don't make them like Thomas anymore. And that coolness and anti-establishment sensibility was spread wide among the players of that era, one of the reasons why the NFL was so popular among those who were young at that time, nefore the corporate sheen engulfed the game completely.

who said anything about athleticism

The guy was talking about Petty apparently being a warrior, so it's not athleticism, but the poster is making the same point. If you don't have it on the football field, between the ears, and make good decisions, and read defenses, it doesn't matter how tough or athletic or physical you are. None of what these guys said is football related. Granted, being a warrior is a good football trait too. But so is being super athletic.

The guy was talking about Petty apparently being a warrior, so it's not athleticism, but the poster is making the same point. If you don't have it on the football field, between the ears, and make good decisions, and read defenses, it doesn't matter how tough or athletic or physical you are. None of what these guys said is football related. Granted, being a warrior is a good football trait too. But so is being super athletic.

I think it's clear that he has the athletic ability it's just a matter of him learning the pro game.

You do realize your talking about EJ Manuel right?

:lol: dude stop.

EJ played in a pro system and is very inaccurate, the chance of him getting better are slim. At least Bryce can make a huge improvement from where he is now. Who knows maybe sucks but I'd rather he be here than with the Jets

:lol: dude stop.

EJ played in a pro system and is very inaccurate, the chance of him getting better are slim. At least Bryce can make a huge improvement from where he is now. Who knows maybe sucks but I'd rather he be here than with the Jets

Ej left college as the second most accurate QB in ACC history. As a senior he hit on 49% of throws over 20 yards, which is very good.