What is on Brady's Phone?

I don't like Brady. He's a cheat, a liar and he bribes people. That said, I support his decision to not give up his phone. Total invasion of privacy. Besides,it makes the case against him even more damning.

Which would be relevant if there were any expectation of privacy in a private employment context.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He and his lawyers had full autonomy to go through his phone and supply only the correspondence that applies to this investigation. No invasion of privacy required.

It's also worth noting that the CBA requires him to turn it over if he's asked.

The part about the lawyers makes me wonder how would Wells know all of what he was provided was all of the texts? I'd assume Wells has something that would or could prove it, just wondering what that could be.

The part about the lawyers makes me wonder how would Wells know all of what he was provided was all of the texts? I'd assume Wells has something that would or could prove it, just wondering what that could be.

i had been curious too. hokie suggested that it would be a signed confirmation of some variety, and if the nfl has others correspondence i suppose it would be risky to lie if someone else gives a text you dont. or provide simple logs of numbers texted, but only the actual texts to certain numbers?

i do not think posters here would have been swayed at all if he turned in 12 texts and none were incriminating though, unless there was more on the arrangement (and if there was, maybe those extra terms are why he declined)

Edited by NoSaint

He and his lawyers had full autonomy to go through his phone and supply only the correspondence that applies to this investigation. No invasion of privacy required.

I might be wrong, but I believe this applies only to team phones..like the ones from the 2 ball boys/ Equipment guys . Those phones were the property of NE. It does not apply to personal phones.

I might be wrong, but I believe this applies only to team phones..like the ones from the 2 ball boys/ Equipment guys . Those phones were the property of NE. It does not apply to personal phones.

Nope. According to the NFL's Rules on Protecting the Integrity of the Game, a player is subject to discipline if they do not fully cooperate in an investigation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/suspension-of-tom-brady-seems-unavoidable/

He has the right not i=to incriminate himself, but that's exactly what he ended up doing.

In terms of the law, yes, he has that right. As far as the NFL is concerned, he is subject to discipline (see above).

I could give a crap about Brady's phone...

For a deflation story...this whole thing is overblown. I know my opinion won't be popular...but if this is truly a standard for the NFL, game balls should be randomly checked and thrown out in-game. Using a slightly (and we are talking slightly) under inflated ball is akin to a scuffed baseball for a pitcher not even a spitter.

In general, the NFL takes the worst possible approach to these things -- prosecuting after the fact rather than proactively protecting their interpretation of the integrity of the game.....the NFL can and should do better than this. We would all be bitching to holy hell if the Bills were the team accused.

As usual here, the cover up is worse than the crime and Brady will be punished...but I place the blame squarely on the NFL for their lax definition and enforcement of the "integrity of the game" (what bull ****)....

For game #2 of the upcoming season, I want Brady playing. I want it to be the worst game of his career just like the Bills D forced Aaron Rodgers into last season. The Bills are a dominating D and I don't want a week 2 win tainted like the week 17 win from last year....

Edited by Formerly Joe F

I could give a crap about Brady's phone...

For a deflation story...this whole thing is overblown. I know my opinion won't be popular...but if this is truly a standard for the NFL, game balls should be randomly checked and thrown out in-game. Using a slightly (and we are talking slightly) under inflated ball is akin to a scuffed baseball for a pitcher not even a spitter.

In general, the NFL takes the worst possible approach to these things -- prosecuting after the fact rather than proactively protecting their interpretation of the integrity of the game.....the NFL can and should do better than this. We would all be bitching to holy hell if the Bills were the team accused.

As usual here, the cover up is worse than the crime and Brady will be punished...but I place the blame squarely on the NFL for their lax definition and enforcement of the "integrity of the game" (what bull ****)....

For game #2 of the upcoming season, I want Brady playing. I want it to be the worst game of his career just like the Bills D forced Aaron Rodgers into last season. The Bills are a dominating D and I don't want a week 2 win tainted like the week 17 win from last year....

I agree with all of that, and I find it to be mutually exclusive from the fact that Brady deserves to be disciplined for purposely conspiring to break the rules, lying about it, and refusing to cooperate in the investigation.

Can you support his claim?

I ask because Brady's agent says that one of the reasons why he advised against his client handing over the text messages is it might set a bad precedent for the players. I can't imagine this is something the NFLPA would want for its membership.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/05/tom_bradys_agent_nfl_investiga.html

"With the text messages, the scope that they asked for was actually very, very wide," Yee told CNN. "I probably should have made the letter public that we received from the NFL's lawyers, but in any event, if we would have provided the phone or text messages...Tom is also member of the union, the commissioner's office actually does not have any subpoena power. If a prominent player were to provide all of their private communications absent a subpoena, that sets a dangerous precedent for all players facing disciplinary measures."

"Finally," Yee continued, "any information we would have provided -- and the Wells investigative team did ask us to go through Tom's phone on our own and provide them with information if we chose to go that route -- but as you might surmise, if we would have chose to go that route any information we would have given them they probably would have had skepticism about, anyway. When it came down to it, either way you turned, you're really not playing on a level playing field."

Brady made his bed, now he must lie in it, and swallow whatever reprocussions he has warranted. Yes, I would love to was him 55-0 in week 2, but I will not apologize for beating a Brady-less Pats team. We play who is on the field in our way, and 1 win counts for 1 win.

Who knows if he has been cheating during our games in the past (many of our teams from 2004-2012 were so weak, he wouldn't have even had to), but if he cheated and got away with it, we won't be getting any sort of benefit of the doubt or their previous wins won't be degraded by cheating. Therefore the losses that they face without Brady won't be though of as less, as that is justice balancing itself out, and Tommy Boy paying the piper.

"When it came down to it, either way you turned, you're really not playing on a level playing field."

Aww, that's adorable... Tommy Boy wants a level playing field NOW to try to defend himself after benefitting from cheating several times.

Get lost.

Nope. According to the NFL's Rules on Protecting the Integrity of the Game, a player is subject to discipline if they do not fully cooperate in an investigation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/suspension-of-tom-brady-seems-unavoidable/

In terms of the law, yes, he has that right. As far as the NFL is concerned, he is subject to discipline (see above).

I was specifically responding to whether or not, he had to give his personal phone to investigators.

I ask because Brady's agent says that one of the reasons why he advised against his client handing over the text messages is it might set a bad precedent for the players. I can't imagine this is something the NFLPA would want for its membership.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/05/tom_bradys_agent_nfl_investiga.html

"With the text messages, the scope that they asked for was actually very, very wide," Yee told CNN. "I probably should have made the letter public that we received from the NFL's lawyers, but in any event, if we would have provided the phone or text messages...Tom is also member of the union, the commissioner's office actually does not have any subpoena power. If a prominent player were to provide all of their private communications absent a subpoena, that sets a dangerous precedent for all players facing disciplinary measures."

"Finally," Yee continued, "any information we would have provided -- and the Wells investigative team did ask us to go through Tom's phone on our own and provide them with information if we chose to go that route -- but as you might surmise, if we would have chose to go that route any information we would have given them they probably would have had skepticism about, anyway. When it came down to it, either way you turned, you're really not playing on a level playing field."

As I clarified in multiple responses:

The lawyer's response about precedent is total garbage. The precedent is already set; players meet with the commissioner's office regarding their transgressions all the time despite him having no subpoena power.

Brady's agent's statement is flimsy at best; outright silly at worst.

The point here is that the league's conduct policy is clear that the player exposes himself to discipline if he doesn't fully cooperate (as in, turn over material to investigators). He didn't. Case closed on that one.

He was given the option of going through his own phone and turning the evidence over so a leak of private things couldn't happen. He declined. So the privacy angle is bs. There is more stuff that will come out. Just wait til someone writes a book after they've moved on from Boston and retired down in florida.

I wouldn't surrender my phone either..

For the 85th time, that's not what he was asked. He and his lawyers were allowed to collect the requested data--the NFL would never even see the phone. This happens all the time, every day in litigations and investigations of every kind. His lawyers have a duty to keep it confidential. They breach that, they get disbarred and get massively sued. Full stop.