Boomer Esiason Says The Bills Will Be...

Only thing SI got wrong was Marrone wasn't fired. That being said, the one thing being overlooked on the Bills is that they're a better team with addition by subtraction. I wonder how many of these moves would have been made if Marrone were still here?

Pegula got his billions from planning way ahead. If you think he didn't target Rex Ryan 8 months ago you've been lulled to sleep by Ralph Wilson's poor staffing history over the years.

Rex was coming here and replacing Marrone long before they sat Dougie down and said Hey you can opt out and save face or be released. Everybody won, Doug got his money and pride (kinda), we get the coach we wanted. This wasn't luck or chance. And it certainly wasn't Doug's choice to leave.

And don't give me the 9-7 crap, pats gave us the last game. it was a decent 8-8 year in which Marrone showed us, and rest of the league apparently, that he's not a long term answer at HC.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Francesa thinks the opposite.(Other Radio Personality on the same network Boomer is on)

He's always had a dislike for Rex Ryan but he claims we don't have the personnel offensively to run a power running scheme that Rex wants and that is designed more for a passing offense but we don't have a QB.

He think our offense will struggle mightily and thinks the Jets will have a better offense and both teams will have great defenses, but thinks the Jets might have the better team overall.

I share some of the same concerns but for the most part the guy doesn't know jack **** about the Bills and is extremely biased in his hate towards Rex Ryan.

There is that side to it. Guys like Brady have shown the QB is more important than the tools around him. The silver lining is that I think cassell is better than he's given credit for, and I'm hopeful EJ can turns things around too

It's a real fear, for this Sucker anyway. I have managed to get optimistic about the team in all 55 years of their existence. How's my track record?

Compare this off season to every off season that made you optimistic before. Anything different?

Expectations out of hand. A lot of new pieces, will take a while to see how they fit together.

Now this is an honest assessment of the upcoming season! There are a lot of new moving pieces with a new coach, coordinators and owner. It'll probably take some time to develop everything into a successful on field product.

Compare this off season to every off season that made you optimistic before. Anything different?

This is a fair assessment.

Now if the Bills have fate turn its evil eye towards us yet again, thats another story .

Sure looks good on paper and passes the sniff test too.

at the very least its going to be a fun season and i very enthusiastic,

Go Bills!

Pegula got his billions from planning way ahead. If you think he didn't target Rex Ryan 8 months ago you've been lulled to sleep by Ralph Wilson's poor staffing history over the years.

Rex was coming here and replacing Marrone long before they sat Dougie down and said Hey you can opt out and save face or be released. Everybody won, Doug got his money and pride (kinda), we get the coach we wanted. This wasn't luck or chance. And it certainly wasn't Doug's choice to leave.

Unless Kim Pegula is a flat liar, which I doubt, none of the first part of that is true. I do believe that it's possible that Marrone was all but fired instead of quit. Rex wasn't on their radar at all. The Pegulas weren't considering him, maybe because they thought he wasn't going to come. Whaley convinced them to consider everyone and set up the meeting. It was only during the first meeting they thought hey maybe this is our guy.

YES, completely. We have a completely competent coaching staff unlike in MANY years over the past decade and a half. The talent level on the team has increased tremendously with the additions of McCoy, Clay, and Harvin. Cassell is at worst another Orton. The defense was #4 overall last year with Jim Schwartz at the helm and it's crazy to think what Rex can do with basically the same group. If we can dodge the injury bug this year there are no excuses for this team not being at least 11-5. Hell, sign Trent Dilfer and we may win the SB. :thumbsup:

Michael Francesa thinks the opposite.(Other Radio Personality on the same network Boomer is on)

He's always had a dislike for Rex Ryan but he claims we don't have the personnel offensively to run a power running scheme that Rex wants and that is designed more for a passing offense but we don't have a QB.

He think our offense will struggle mightily and thinks the Jets will have a better offense and both teams will have great defenses, but thinks the Jets might have the better team overall.

I share some of the same concerns but for the most part the guy doesn't know jack **** about the Bills and is extremely biased in his hate towards Rex Ryan.

I get that we don't have big WRs, but otherwise I think we're built almost perfectly for a power run game. We have great big offensive linemen, one of the best lead blocking FBs in the league, and big RBs (I know McCoy isn't really a power back, but Karlos Williams and Anthony Dixon are, and Fred is great at picking up tough yards between the tackles). I guess TE could be an issue; I don't know how good a blocker Clay & O'leary are but Gragg blocks like a skinny receiver. Edited by Rob's House

The great Billicheck had a losing record before New England and there he did not just have a QB fall in his lap, a QB he passed on for many times, but changed his methodology. Admittedly some of it involved stepping on the lines (or over depending on point of view) but other changes were made including listening to other points of view and doing a lot of networking. Hopefully Rex Ryan has learned the same lessons and will improve his ability as a head coach; the teams for NJ Jets were terribly coached sometimes.

I get that we don't have big WRs, but otherwise I think we're built almost perfectly for a power run game. We have great big offensive linemen, one of the best lead blocking FBs in the league, and big RBs (I know McCoy isn't really a power back, but Marlow Williams and Anthony Dixon are, and Fred is great at picking up tough yards between the tackles. I guess TE could be an issue; I don't know how good a blocker Clay & O'leary are but Gragg blocks like a skinny receiver.

McCoy was not used a lot in blocking for Eagles; I think he will be learning a lot from the "old man" how to pick up blockers.

O'Leary is a better blocker on screens than punching it in on short yardage plays.

Dixon is a good blocker but needs more coaching.

Fred is best player we have had for picking up blitzes since Thurman. He is also excellent in chip blocking and screens but I hope someone else can pick up the load on runs between the tackles.

I do not know who Marlow Williams is. Are you talking about the 5th round pick from Florida Karlos?

I get that we don't have big WRs, but otherwise I think we're built almost perfectly for a power run game. We have great big offensive linemen, one of the best lead blocking FBs in the league, and big RBs (I know McCoy isn't really a power back, but Karlos Williams and Anthony Dixon are, and Fred is great at picking up tough yards between the tackles). I guess TE could be an issue; I don't know how good a blocker Clay & O'leary are but Gragg blocks like a skinny receiver.

Agreed. Clay and O'Leary are good to pretty good, not great. A huge part of the power running game though, is the speed on the outside. If you put Watkins, Harvin, Goodwin, etc out there they cannot stack the box with eight guys. If Roman is the smart tactical guy he is supposed to be, and our QB makes good reads, the power offense with speed will be tough. That's why I think Cassel wins the job.

This "dream team" tag is way overblown. The person that called them the "dream team" was Vince Young! Yes, Vince freaking Young, he was the only one that called them that and the media took off and ran with it...Such a joke...

McCoy was not used a lot in blocking for Eagles; I think he will be learning a lot from the "old man" how to pick up blockers.

O'Leary is a better blocker on screens than punching it in on short yardage plays.

Dixon is a good blocker but needs more coaching.

Fred is best player we have had for picking up blitzes since Thurman. He is also excellent in chip blocking and screens but I hope someone else can pick up the load on runs between the tackles.

I do not know who Marlow Williams is. Are you talking about the 5th round pick from Florida Karlos?

Product of auto-correct