Why no consideration for Jeff Tuel?

I just happened to watch a lot of Jeff Tuel highlights from both college and the one game he played in the NFL. Having been scratching my head as to why he was on the roster, I honestly have changed opinion after watching and have completely changed idea now thinking that he is a great player. In the NFL game I see a TON of dropped passes by receivers, and in college I see a lot of impressive passing with a horrible offensive line. I just want to know if there are any insiders in here that can explain why Jeff Tuel isn't getting more consideration for the starting role? He's young with a prototypical QB size and seems to have intelligence. I think he could be franchise quality if given the chance and experience especially with this team and the amount of weapons it offers him. Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to mention him in the QB competition and downplays his talent whenever asked about it. It really makes me wonder.

"great player"?! "franchise quality"?! He has had 3 years to earn some snaps on a team desperate for a QB and hasn't managed to get it done. He will probably be in camp this year which means he will get one more chance to show he can play. At this point in his career, that is as much as he can ask for.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few observations in the photo:

(1) TT is tiny and he's thinking about running

(2) Teul isn't even allowed to have a football

(3) EJ isn't holding his ball correctly... His eyes look slow even though you can tell by his superior sweat ring he works hard

(4) Cassell is the only guy with his eyes downfield making the right read even though he is almost as slow as the qb coach

Nice!

All you Tuel Bashers are pretty funny. You all talk like we have such great QB play in front of him. Tuel probably is the worst of the 4 but let's have the coaches make that decision. I know I haven't seen much from any QB, including Orton in the last several years. The guy played with limited practice time because he wasn't the starter and he was only a rookie when he got his starts. Like EJ, he is young and doesn't have much experience. I guess if he was that bad he wouldn't be on an NFL roster like all you arm chair critics. If he gets cut so be it but don't act like just because you see a stat line you know more about evaluating QB's than the coaching staff and GM.

I don't really have an opinion on Jeff Tuel as a quarterback. He's had a few good games in college, hasn't really impressed in NFL. I think he will be gone soon. It's not like I don't like him but he has an uphill battle to unseat Cassel, EJ, or Tyrod. It is clear that Rex doesn't think he'll make it and that is not a good omen for Jeff. They ought to let him go or maybe trade him so he has a chance to be at least a backup or compete for a starting job with another team.

One bad play in the KC game, he performed well until then in his first ever game as a starter. Many want to crucify him for that and that's a shame. He will be good elsewhere.

I've had many hours of fun watching jeff Tuel's o-line get him KILLED when he was at WASU. I laughed heartily at the thought of him playing in a bills uni... I'm not laughing anymore. -I have to admit there's a chance my expectations were too high... I don't think Tuel will ever be an elite QB in this leaugue. -However, we may not need him to be... You'll never get Drew Brees, or either Manning-Type play out of the Tuelster, but play your cards right, and you just MIGHT, MAYBE, get Trent Dilfer... If our D lives up to billing, that's all you need.

Tuel's style fits a team with a solid D, and a good run-game...Nothing too fancy... I feel he needs to work on his ball security, but that's about it.. I give him te same chance as any of our other scrub QB's to make the team, and win the start... So, come on you big sissy-faced kid! get in there and compete! :lol:

Edited by #34fan

I just happened to watch a lot of Jeff Tuel highlights from both college and the one game he played in the NFL. Having been scratching my head as to why he was on the roster, I honestly have changed opinion after watching and have completely changed idea now thinking that he is a great player. In the NFL game I see a TON of dropped passes by receivers, and in college I see a lot of impressive passing with a horrible offensive line. I just want to know if there are any insiders in here that can explain why Jeff Tuel isn't getting more consideration for the starting role? He's young with a prototypical QB size and seems to have intelligence. I think he could be franchise quality if given the chance and experience especially with this team and the amount of weapons it offers him. Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to mention him in the QB competition and downplays his talent whenever asked about it. It really makes me wonder.

His one NFL "performance" scared the hell out of everyone, his being a raw rookie notwithstanding.

After ONE NFL start are you kidding this kid threw a interception in the game & not just a interception but a PICK 6 in his first ever NFL start ! OMG !!!

"He's washed up - He'll never amount to anything in the NFL - He's a practice squad QB - He's terrible !! The Bills should get rid of the bum " !!!

"But we don't know enough about EJ poor guy has only had 14 starts , he should be given more time under center to figure out if he is our franchise QB . At 14 starts it's unfair to judge him as a bust ."

Welcome to Bills fan logic !!

Tuel stinks, he is a player that should be scratching and clawing to be a third string QB. He was lucky they changed the practice squad rules so he was able to hang on the PS longer.

See ...

I've had many hours of fun watching jeff Tuel's o-line get him KILLED when he was at WASU. I laughed heartily at the thought of him playing in a bills uni... I'm not laughing anymore. -I have to admit there's a chance my expectations were too high... I don't think Tuel will ever be an elite QB in this leaugue. -However, we may not need him to be... You'll never get Drew Brees, or either Manning-Type play out of the Tuelster, but play your cards right, and you just MIGHT, MAYBE, get Trent Dilfer... If our D lives up to billing, that's all you need.

Tuel's style fits a team with a solid D, and a good run-game...Nothing too fancy... I feel he needs to work on his ball security, but that's about it.. I give him te same chance as any of our other scrub QB's to make the team, and win the start... So, come on you big sissy-faced kid! get in there and compete! :lol:

After ONE NFL start are you kidding this kid threw a interception in the game & not just a interception but a PICK 6 in his first ever NFL start ! OMG !!!

"He's washed up - He'll never amount to anything in the NFL - He's a practice squad QB - He's terrible !! The Bills should get rid of the bum " !!!

"But we don't know enough about EJ poor guy has only had 14 starts , he should be given more time under center to figure out if he is our franchise QB . At 14 starts it's unfair to judge him as a bust ."

Welcome to Bills fan logic !!

See ...

This has been said before, but I figure we're do again:

Tuel was not good in that KC game outside of the pick-6. He was lousy. The pick-6 was completely on Tuel; the WR (TJ Graham) did NOT slip. Actually, it was the CB that stumbled when Stevie faked him out, and he ended up standing right between Graham and Tuel, and Tuel hit him in the numbers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/3609/dissecting-tuels-game-changing-pick-six

http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/03/jeff-tuel-threw-a-101-yard-pick-six-against-the-chiefs/

Add to that the fact that Tuel barely completed 44% of his passes, couldn't run anything other than the (first 15) scripted plays, and couldn't produce a win despite the team rushing for 240+ yards and keeping KC out of the end zone on offense.

He's just not good.

Sorry.

I can't say Tuel will never develop the tools to be a NFL starter. Some guys surprise you.

But I can't see why anyone thinks he deserves the shot.

He had trouble holding down the starting job at WSU. His highlights there certainly don't scream "NFL QB!"

And, to me, he looked overwhelmed when he took snaps for the Bills.

While Rex did originally say all four QBs would get an equal shot, he's since called it a three man race. Apparently, based on what he's seen, Rex is already giving up on Tuel as a potential starter.

One bad play in the KC game, he performed well until then in his first ever game as a starter. Many want to crucify him for that and that's a shame. He will be good elsewhere.

44% completion rate is now good?

Coupled with a team that ran for 250+ Yds, and a defense that did not allow a TD.

Buffalo somehow still lost that game.

Edited by CountDorkula

He's never shown anything...why do people think he will be good? He was an UDFA QB, who had a brief moment in a preseason game against 4th stringers who mostly wont even make a roster. He's not looked good in practice, in any other game, etc. Even Rex, who originally gave him a shot, said he's not near the other 3 and the race is a 3 man race now between the others. If our QB situation is so bad, then how can anyone make a case for a guy who isn't good enough to even be in the conversation anymore in May despite being given a chance to be in that conversation?

Tuel isn't the guy...move on.