Polian critical of Bills not drafting a QB

LOL, Bufftex, you are showing your ignorance because you don't even know what your talking about

Petty's only concussion was mild. He was practicing after clearing every concussion protocol within 2 days, never lost consciousness and was symptom free immediately after game. As for his back injury, it's 100% healed and is not a lingering issue, essentially a cracked bone. He actually played with the crack in the game he got it and could have played the following week but did the week after that. As for the knee, it was a mild sprain.

Man, the misinformation of this board is comical.

I had Petty as a late 2nd, early 3rd because he played QB. In 4th he was a steal.

As for Manuel, he shouldn't have been drafted until round 3.

I'd say they were / are comparable prospects coming out of college. I like Petty better because he is the more accurate passer.

Petty's the more accurate passer? Completion percentage coming out of college...

Bryce Petty - 62.7%

EJ Manuel - 66.9%

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petty's the more accurate passer? Completion percentage coming out of college...

Bryce Petty - 62.7%

EJ Manuel - 66.9%

I don't really have a dog in this particular fight, but you know those stats are meaningless without considering context, and you know that EJ has real accuracy issues on deeper throws.

I don't really have a dog in this particular fight, but you know those stats are meaningless without considering context, and you know that EJ has real accuracy issues on deeper throws.

You don't have to tell me, here at TSW stats don't mean anything if they are EJ Manuel stats. It doesn't matter if it's college or pro stats because he simply doesn't pass the "eye test" which is apparently more reliable than stats.

You don't have to tell me, here at TSW stats don't mean anything if they are EJ Manuel stats. It doesn't matter if it's college or pro stats because he simply doesn't pass the "eye test" which is apparently more reliable than stats.

Or someone claims there's inflation, goes to painstaking lengths to comb through the splits, and watches you hand wave it by re-posting the general completion percentage. That sometimes happens.

Oh please. Analyze with regard to context; don't take potshots. You do realize that FSU set a record for NFL players drafted over a 3-year period this weekend, right? Btw, I want Manuel to succeed.

Edited by dave mcbride

If Taylor is good, that would be great. Why did the Ravens let him go though? Wouldn't they have had the right to pick up his year five option? I don't know how it works for late round picks.

Interestingly, EJ and Taylor grew up in the same area (Virginia Beach-Hampton-Norfolk).

He was an unrestricted free agent. Not sure what those words leave out in terms of his status with the Ravens. Wanted a chance to start and the Ravens knew that. Cameron and Kubiak wanted him to play more snaps. Flacco pouted about that - was simply time for Tyrod to get out of that hopeless situation - i.e. behind a never injured, super highly paid, Super Bowl MVP QB.

The Ravens had no say in the matter as Taylor was a UFA. He was drafted in the 6th round, so no 5th year option. Tyrod wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to start, so he said no to Baltimore and he said no to more money in Denver with his old OC.

This. Sorry to pile on before finishing thread.

Watching the post draft analysis on espn and polian said he thought the bills had a good draft, but then went all melancholy about the fact they didnt take a Qb and would be entering the season with EJ manuel and "retread" Matt Cassel. He sounded like Eeyore.

Imo the bills signing TT is just like drafting a qb. The benefit is he's been a disciple already behind a SB winning qb for a few years. I didn't think any of the QBs left after the top 2 would be able to play in the NFL this year. The experts said all had big flaws and were all projects, none projected starters. So wth is Polian's issue. Plus we have 3 project QBs as it is.

if a team with QB problem doesn't give ESPN a QB to pump up for 6 months on their shows (remember all the hype around Manziel?) , then they pan you for not doing that. ESPN can't make any $$ on Ron Darby and an O Lineman, so they are punishing the team.. We'd be all set if we reached for a shiny new toy for them to play with. The Bills stuck to their board and are being pounded for it. Screw the media. Go bills.

i think Gailey could integrate some Baylor concepts and spread for him

The key for a prospect like him and Hundley, Grayson and the others as well as Manuel is patience -- unfortunately, most NFL teams don't have that and I think in the end it limits the ability of these QB's from reaching their true ceiling.

I'm not saying they all would be Aaron Rodgers, but I think a lot more would succeed if they are brought along slowly.

Bryce Petty - 62.7%

EJ Manuel - 66.9%

Petty is a more accurate thrower than EJ.

The knock on EJ coming out of college was his ability to see entire field, multiple reads (slow eyes), accuracy and lack of instincts.

Neither guy (out of college) had 1st round talent, we could debate forever whether EJ was or wasn't better prospect, the bottom line, he hasn't shown he can overcome the weaknesses that existed while he was in college.

The key for a prospect like him and Hundley, Grayson and the others as well as Manuel is patience -- unfortunately, most NFL teams don't have that and I think in the end it limits the ability of these QB's from reaching their true ceiling.

I'm not saying they all would be Aaron Rodgers, but I think a lot more would succeed if they are brought along slowly.

You are in favor of the philosophy of drafting a QB every year, but then state teams need to have patience and " ... I think a lot more would succeed if they are brought along slowly."

:blink:

Pick one, because drafting a QB every year does not imply patience. Its the opposite, especially with no minor league system in place.

Petty was throwing accurate deep laser passes vs. UB a couple times. He looked awesome. Oh except for the part that his receivers were wide open. Still, I'm not sure EJ would hit deep passes to wide open guys right in stride.

Just to be clear, Polian was not the Bills GM when Kelly was drafted. He drafted Kerry Collins when GM of the Panthers. Collins lasted four years with the Panthers. He took the Colts job when they had the number one pick and took Patyon Manning.

Edited by chris heff

You are in favor of the philosophy of drafting a QB every year, but then state teams need to have patience and " ... I think a lot more would succeed if they are brought along slowly."

:blink:

Pick one, because drafting a QB every year does not imply patience. Its the opposite, especially with no minor league system in place.

I've said every OTHER year.

If teams effectively develop, two years is enough time to know whether the guy projects as a franchise QB or not.

That's not inconsistent with drafting every other year.

For instance, if I were developing EJ, I would have definitely played him those last 2 games to see where he was in his development with real game action.

Petty was throwing accurate deep laser passes vs. UB a couple times. He looked awesome. Oh except for the part that his receivers were wide open. Still, I'm not sure EJ would hit deep passes to wide open guys right in stride.

According to many on this board, Bills receivers were wide open often last year as well.

Just to be clear, Polian was not the Bills GM when Kelly was drafted. He drafted Kerry Collins when GM of the Panthers. Collins lasted four years with the Panthers. He took the Colts job when they had the number one pick and took Patyon Manning.

He did draft Reich, though, and he was certainly instrumental in getting Kelly to sign. A lot of people thought he would never play for the Bills and that the Bills ought to trade the damn ingrate, a la Tom Cousineau.

Edited by dave mcbride

He did draft Reich, though, and he was certainly instrumental in getting Kelly to sign. A lot of people thought he would never play for the Bills and that the Bills out to trade the damn ingrate, a la Tom Cousineau.

On the "Caught in the Draft 1985" episode, Polian gives credit to Ralph Wilson for getting Kelly in Buffalo. Polian, it seems, was very tempted to pull the trigger on a trade that the Raiders had proposed...Ralph would have none of it.

He did draft Reich, though, and he was certainly instrumental in getting Kelly to sign. A lot of people thought he would never play for the Bills and that the Bills out to trade the damn ingrate, a la Tom Cousineau.

I would argue that Reich was the second best QB that Polian drafted.

On the "Caught in the Draft 1985" episode, Polian gives credit to Ralph Wilson for getting Kelly in Buffalo. Polian, it seems, was very tempted to pull the trigger on a trade that the Raiders had proposed...Ralph would have none of it.

Polian's longest tenure was the Colts. When you get to take a once in a lifetime QB it helps job security, and even with that they still only won one SB.

Just to be clear. Raiders owner Al Davis still wanted Jim Kelly, as he had previously sent ole Jim to London with a few Raiderettes all expenses paid. Ralph was thinking about a trade if he couldn't sign him. Polian talked Wilson into making Kelly the highest paid QB in the league at that time. That was all Polian!

Polian drafted Kerry Collins, a QB who took the Panthers to the NFC Championship game the very next year. While he didn't take Carolina to a SB, Collins did get to a SB a few years later with the NY Giants. That Panthers team went from an expansion nothing to the playoffs in two years. It only took the Houston Texans 10 years to make a playoff berth.

Bill Polian could have easily been the laughing stock of the league had he taken QB Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning, and instead knew the difference between a outright bum, and a future hall of famer!

Three teams into the playoffs within three years of taking a job with the team as GM or president. Two hall of fame QB's, and he built teams that went to the super bowl multiple times. There is a big reason as to why he is in the hall of fame, and the last time I looked there were only a few FO men in the hall!

There is little doubt in my mind that if Polian had taken the czar / president job with the Bills back in the beginning of this year that the Bills would have their franchise QB (draft or Bradford-Rivers) That the Bills would be headed to a playoff berth this year! The 2015 Bills are chasing possible felons to fill the O line, and still don't have a franchise QB after three years of this current GM.

Edited by FeartheLosing

There is little doubt in my mind that if Polian had taken the czar / president job with the Bills back in the beginning of this year that the Bills would have their franchise QB (draft or Bradford-Rivers) That the Bills would be headed to a playoff berth this year! The 2015 Bills are chasing possible felons to fill the O line, and still don't have a franchise QB after three years of this current GM.

I would be against adding another layer of authority in the management structure of the team. From what I read he was interested in the position while his family was adamantly opposed. They collectively felt that it was time for him at his stage in life and family situation involving the grand kids that he should be lightening up the load instead of adding to the load. He said that while he was enticed by the offer he felt that he owed it to his family that had sacrificed for him to decline the offer.

Based on Polian's comments regarding the team's draft I agree with you that if he were in a position of authority he would have insisted and acted on upgrading the qb position. He would have been very much proactive either through the draft or through trade deals to address that long term issue that has plagued this franchise.

Anyone who watched him on ESPN commenting on the Bills' qb situation would have noticed the conviction he had and the sadness/disappointment that nothing much has been done to change the situation.