Eagles originally wanted draft picks, not Kiko

Doc that is not what the posted article said.

The Iggles wanted picks, Whaley said he didn't have any to give up

the Iggles called back and asked for Kiko

Yes, likely because they couldn't find someone to trade draft picks for McCoy, who they wanted to get rid of and might very well have released if they couldn't trade him. And the PFT blurb talks about Kiko as a "too-small-for-their-system" LB. I doubt they made that up on their own or that Kiko was traded without Rex's consent. Hell they were all there on Pegs' yacht and all Whaley had to do was yell over to Rex "yo man, they want McCoy for Kiko" and if he had a problem with it, the deal wouldn't have gotten done, or done so quickly.

Edited by Doc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc that is not what the posted article said.

The Iggles wanted picks, Whaley said he didn't have any to give up

the Iggles called back and asked for Kiko

Yeah, and Whaley coughed Kiko right up. So doc is right, your conclusion that Rex wanted Kiko doesn't follow...

Rex talked about it in his press conference today and it was pretty funny. He said they asked the Bills for draft picks, and there was silence on their end... Like um - guess he's going to another team.

But the Bills were really into acquiring him so convinced them to take a look at the roster and get back to them.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes, likely because they couldn't find someone to trade draft picks for McCoy, who they wanted to get rid of and might very well have released if they couldn't trade him. And the PFT blurb talks about Kiko as a "too-small-for-their-system" LB. I doubt they made that up on their own or that Kiko was traded without Rex's consent. Hell they were all there on Pegs' yacht and all Whaley had to do was yell over to Rex "yo man, they want McCoy for Kiko" and if he had a problem with it, the deal wouldn't have gotten done, or done so quickly.

As if being on a yacht weren't awesome enough, imagine their jubilation after getting that call. That's when you know you're living the life.

Yeah, and Whaley coughed Kiko right up. So doc is right, your conclusion that Rex wanted Kiko doesn't follow...

FOCUS WEO my comment argued against the notion that Rex wanted Kiko gone from the get go and used him as the FIRST trade option.

the link provided above argues otherwise. picks first then Philly asked for Kiko

please - PROVIDE A LINK to support yours and Doc's assumptions.

--- and not a link to TDB conjecture

as to KIKO - I like the guy but the D did pretty darn good w/o him this past season.

and FWIW Chip was getting his Ducks in a row

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

im not a football expert but I played with a bad knee

I will say this, Kiko had 2 reconstructed knees now and it will come back to haunt him before he hits 30.

LB is the most physically demanding strain position for knees and shockingly, QB is second due to where you are hit at and the angles you have to run

As if being on a yacht weren't awesome enough, imagine their jubilation after getting that call. That's when you know you're living the life.

For sure.

FOCUS WEO my comment argued against the notion that Rex wanted Kiko gone from the get go and used him as the FIRST trade option.

the link provided above argues otherwise. picks first then Philly asked for Kiko

please - PROVIDE A LINK to support yours and Doc's assumptions.

--- and not a link to TDB conjecture

as to KIKO - I like the guy but the D did pretty darn good w/o him this past season.

and FWIW Chip was getting his Ducks in a row

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Ryan wanted Kiko gone, just that he didn't fit the scheme and was expendable. But Ryan would have tried to fit him if he was still on the roster. And it was the Eagles who came calling, looking for draft picks because they want to move up to get Mariota and get rid of McCoy. It was a no-brainer for the Bills.

Edited by Doc

im not a football expert but I played with a bad knee

I will say this, Kiko had 2 reconstructed knees now and it will come back to haunt him before he hits 30.

LB is the most physically demanding strain position for knees and shockingly, QB is second due to where you are hit at and the angles you have to run

i hope it's not a situation like Sean Lee in Dallas. He keeps re-tearing his in freak ways.

For sure.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Ryan wanted Kiko gone, just that he didn't fit the scheme and was expendable. Ryan would have tried to fit him if he was still on the roster. And it was the Eagles who came calling, looking for draft picks because they want to move up to get Mariota and get rid of McCoy.

lets agree to disagree WRT Rex wanting Kiko . As I recall it - there were stories that indicated Rex didn't want Kiko. there are at least 3 Kiko threads many pages deep if you care to read them.

I posted a link to 2 of them

Again the OP link says Philly asked for picks first then Philly calling back then asking for Kiko.

lets agree to disagree WRT Rex wanting Kiko . As I recall it - there were stories that indicated Rex didn't want Kiko. there are at least 3 Kiko threads many pages deep if you care to read them.

I posted a link to 2 of them

Again the OP link says Philly asked for picks first then Philly calling back then asking for Kiko.

We'll agree to disagree then. I no qualms believing that Ryan felt Kiko didn't fit his scheme and hence the Bills jumped at the chance to trade him to the Eagles when they inquired, as evidenced by the speed of the trade. If your argument is that the Bills didn't offer-up Kiko when first contacted, I think that a) the Eagles made it clear they were looking for picks, because again, they want to move up to get Mariota and when the Bills refused they said they'd talk to other teams and b) they didn't think they could get a Pro Bowl RB for a LB who was coming off an ACL injury.

We'll agree to disagree then. I no qualms believing that Ryan felt Kiko didn't fit his scheme and hence the Bills jumped at the chance to trade him to the Eagles when they inquired, as evidenced by the speed of the trade. If your argument is that the Bills didn't offer-up Kiko when first contacted, I think that a) the Eagles made it clear they were looking for picks, because again, they want to move up to get Mariota and when the Bills refused they said they'd talk to other teams and b) they didn't think they could get a Pro Bowl RB for a LB who was coming off an ACL injury.

um ok

we agree the Iggles wanted picks, then after a bit settled for the former Duck and Rex didn't offer Kiko from the get go.

curious - wasnt Jason Taylor also thought to be "too small"?

Why did Whaley say look at our roster then, and not, how about Kiko? There is zero chance Ryan wanted Kiko gone. He loves guys like that. He just had three guys for two positions so he wasnt a necessity.

Why did Whaley say look at our roster then, and not, how about Kiko? There is zero chance Ryan wanted Kiko gone. He loves guys like that. He just had three guys for two positions so he wasnt a necessity.

until they provide a link stating otherwise we'll assume that their opinion based on rumor is meaningless.

Kiko was/is a baller, but McCoy was well worth it.

People are over thinking this. Eagles were shopping McCoy.

Bills were interested at the right price. The draft pick were prized because of the situation.

Bill saw McCoy as more valuable to them than kiko, and the Eagles saw kiko as more valuable to them than McCoy.

These deals are based on decisions in marginal variances not absolutes like, chip doesn't like McCoy and Rex doesn't like kiko.

Edit: trades should be thought of more as relative arbitrage plays.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

People are over thinking this. Eagles were shopping McCoy.

Bills were interested at the right price. The draft pick were prized because of the situation.

Bill saw McCoy as more valuable to them than kiko, and the Eagles saw kiko as more valuable to them than McCoy.

These deals are based on decisions in marginal variances not absolutes like, chip doesn't like McCoy and Rex doesn't like kiko.

Edit: trades should be thought of more as relative arbitrage plays.

I'm not sure people are even debating the same thing.

um ok

we agree the Iggles wanted picks, then after a bit settled for the former Duck and Rex didn't offer Kiko from the get go.

Curious - wasnt Jason Taylor also thought to be "too small"?

So you're disputing the assertion that Ryan didn't see Kiko as a fit for the defense? Why?

So you're disputing the assertion that Ryan didn't see Kiko as a fit for the defense? Why?

I will. It makes zero sense.

Rex does not play a 3-4, he plays every possible defensive formation -- Kiko is EXTREMELY versatile, both against the pass and the run.

Rex loves aggressive, instinctive players -- Kiko is very aggressive and instinctive.

Rex loves guys that make plays and cause turnovers -- Kiko does that,

Rex loves guys that have a nose for the ball and get to the ball quick. -- that's Kiko's greatest strength.

There is zero chance he doesnt like or want Kiko. He just loved watching the Bills defense last year with Bradham and Brown, who have more size and one of the three would not be playing.