Cities in jeopardy of losing their teams

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will always blackmail cities and states. Florida has low taxes and the Jags always play the moving card

They do play that card a lot, but with good reason. Their support sucks and Florida already had two established teams when they were added. Jax should never have gotten a team to begin with. The only reason they haven't moved yet is that the NFL has them pegged for moving to London when the time is right.

This kinda gets thrown around a lot - I'm not sure I would say "LA is a bad NFL market" as much as "LA is a complicated political market". I spend a lot of time in SoCal and I know PLENTY of football fans out there that would definitely support a team (especially in a nice spanking new stadium)...

I was gonna say, that is a ridiculous cliche that is thrown around much too often. There is no such thing as a 'bad NFL market' that contains 20 million people.

Nah. The only thing that saved the bills in buffalo was Terry pegula coming along. He wasn't getting outbid by anyone. He wasn't just some dude who bought the bills by default; he's the fourth richest owner in the nfl. I would agree that without him magically appearing out of thin air to buy the sabres and then the bills, it's very likely that someone from another market would've bought and moved the bills. We owe a great deal to the man.

And he was just the kind of owner the NFL wants. One guy who could just write a check....not a 'consortium' with a lot of debt, or some group faced by some former ****ty rock star, or some loudmouth a--hole real estate speculator who once sued the league.

This is why the NFL is always looking for options outside the USA. Few places are interested in building/financing a stadium, and they're running out of options.

LA has never been a proven long term supporter. There's a lot of money there but the people who have it don't care about an NFL game. I'm sure the league was relieved when the Bills situation was "settled."

This is why the NFL is always looking for options outside the USA. Few places are interested in building/financing a stadium, and they're running out of options.

LA has never been a proven long term supporter. There's a lot of money there but the people who have it don't care about an NFL game. I'm sure the league was relieved when the Bills situation was "settled."

Could not agree more; I attended a Rams game in 1985 and Eric Dickerson was in his prime running wild on a beautiful sunny fall day. The Colesium was half full and no one was into the game, contrast Buffalo with this scenario. In LA, on any given Sunday, you have the ocean and boating, surfing, fishing, many recreational sport activities, concerts, bike and running trails, hiking trails - much competition for discretionary spending.

Lets get real, the only thing that saved the Bills in Buffalo was Ted Rogers died before Ralph could sell him the team.

Ralph was not going to sell the team while he was alive.....so you are incorrect

As someone who's grown up in Maryland and has always heard the stories of the Mayflower trucks leaving Baltimore with the Colts it's hard for me to feel sorry for any fanbase that at least gets a fair warning when their team leaves (I know, Baltimore took a team from another city but at least that city got to say goodbye to their team and they got a new team 3 years later so the two situations really aren't comparable). That's not to say I would have been okay with the Bills leaving Buffalo.

But I think St Louis, Oakland, and San Diego are better fan bases than Jacksonville. If any team should move it should be the Jags.

Edited by Talley56