Current/Recent Bills who are Wall of Fame worthy

He's never been great. And the Bills have never even been good while he's been on the team. I know he's a God around these parts, but those are both factual statements.

I have no doubt that he'll be one of my favorite all time Bills forever, personally. That doesn't make him great. It just means I like him a lot.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Top-10-Bills-rushers-of-all-time/b62e9b92-7f0c-4e47-a79b-fd92b919e818

Look at the drop-off after Thurman. It's huge. Also note how his stats are just about equal to many who were Bills 1/2 the time he was. Again ... love the guy. But he was "very good" for a few years out of his 8 in Buffalo.

The Wall is for truly, consistently, great players, in my opinion.

Unless you've been naughty, right OJ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No to Cookie! 2+ years just doesn't cut it. Smerlas is up there and I think it likely Kyle will have more ProBowls than Freddie when it's all said & done. From the 'both sides of my mouth' department, Ruben Brown doesn't desreve WOF despite his 30 PBs.

For hyperbole, Rex, TPegs & Whaley.

Mario if he finishes career here and maintains all pro level a few more years.

I like your original three in the thread. Kyle, Fred and Moorman. I love the Moorman pick for the reasons the OP outlined. Guy was an athletic freak...a really good punter and what other punter would have bounced off the turf after this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000308486/Sean-Taylor-hits-Brian-Moorman

Thats enough evidence for me to put Moorman up there. I already agreed with Fred Kyle and Brian, but now there should be no doubt.

Bills should play that video for the players everyday.

Mario? seriously. Just because he is really really good? thats not enough. To be on the Wall you need to bleed it. IMO.

Fred has had it for ever. Kyle has too , but he knocked it out of the park with that last interview. Speaking that this was how he would end his career. I almost cried. Because he is for real.

And i LovemesomeMario : )

If Mario retires a Bills like Whaley wishes, i might consider it : )

Freddy? Kyle? Maybe Hammer?

No, wait, DEFINITELY Hammer - it would just be nice for him to walk out of his house and see his hame up there...

:beer:

I have yet to meet him. Or his lot.

But i think he must belong right behind Mario on my list. I can only hope, someday to be in the presence of that greatness and stuff of legend : ).

I'm going with none of the above. I love them all as Bills. But I just don't see wall-worthy careers there.

If I had to name one who should be there eventually, I'd agree with FC ... Schobel's career was wall-worthy.

i am beginning to be concerned for you lately.

Willing to listen why A Schobel was wall worthy as compared the OP list. He should be in the discussion but you rate him that high?

He's never been great. And the Bills have never even been good while he's been on the team. I know he's a God around these parts, but those are both factual statements.

I have no doubt that he'll be one of my favorite all time Bills forever, personally. That doesn't make him great. It just means I like him a lot.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Top-10-Bills-rushers-of-all-time/b62e9b92-7f0c-4e47-a79b-fd92b919e818

Look at the drop-off after Thurman. It's huge. Also note how his stats are just about equal to many who were Bills 1/2 the time he was. Again ... love the guy. But he was "very good" for a few years out of his 8 in Buffalo.

The Wall is for truly, consistently, great players, in my opinion.

sorry Brother you answered my question ! I dont agree with your value system but it fair method

Kyle Williams has been a great DT for years, multiple Pro-Bowls. If no one else, him.

at the top. emulates Buffalo mentality imho. I rank Fred 2 for the same reason. and grinding and leading in effort all these years of crap

how about t.j. graham?

Inna bad mood ?

Unless you've been naughty, right OJ?

This is a good, fun, thread that would be ruined by going down this road. You know how I feel about it, so let's spare everyone else the battle.

Agreed with most here.

Kyle is #1 in my book, then Fred for sure, imo. If Mario finishes his career here, he'll probably end up there. If we can re-sign Dareus for another 5+ years, he'll prob deserve it once he's done.

If the current team breaks the drought and becomes a team thats consistently in the hunt the next few years, a bunch of them could end up going on the Wall. Hughes, Watkins, A Williams, Gilmore, the list of possibilities goes on...

I hate having to put Moorman up there, just because its a reminder of the era where our punter was the best player on the roster. Id like to be able to say Schoebel, but meh. Moulds? I dunno, nah.

Edited by DrDareustein

Fred Jackson is absolutely, 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a wall of famer. I think some of you may be overestimating the achievement of getting on the wall of fame. I wish it was a more exclusive club but there are already some borderline guys up there. All the aforementioned players will eventually get up. So too should Ruben Brown, Eric Moulds, Cookie Gilchrist, Lou Saban, Cornelius Bennett and probably Ernie Warlick. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Phil Hansen is on the wall of fame then so too should every guy that's been mentioned. It was clearly Ralph's call in the past and he clearly picked guys that he liked personally. I think that with his passing, you will see Saban get up soon.

Here, here!! I agree w/ this thread wholeheartedly! It is wwaaayyy past due for Lou & Cookie! That was a Ralph thing. But it's clearly a new era now. Lets get them up there. And I agree with you on Warlick too. Go Bills

I'll tell ya what, if we don't get Josh Stamer up there in my lifetime, there should be a god damn inquiry.

Fred is a no-brainer. Moorman is iffy, but if they gave him that honor I would be fine with it.

Edited by GOBILLS78

Based on production? My pick would be Kyle Williams.

Based on the feel-good story and sentimental value of it all? The popular pick there would/will be Fred Jackson.

(EDIT: I do agree with Moorman, he consistently produced on the field and in the community...and was the only pro-bowl player the Bills had for how many years?)

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

i think fred jackson will be up on the wall some day, but not before these other guys

Edited by papazoid

I don't think inclusion on the Wall is all about stats and league-wide accolades - Phil Hansen is a perfect example. It's all about the players that were the undisputed leaders; the guys who were true Bills to the bone, year in and year out, played the hardest and made plays week after week. That's why Freddie is a shoo-in. He always had a complimentary RB taking touches away from him, but you always know that when Fred gets the ball, great things can happen.

This is not a crazy idea. To bad about the relatively short career and lack of any steady team success during his tenure. He doesn't really qualify, but interesting for discussion purposes. I was 1 when he had that career game vs the Jets, but I still remember being at a game he played in.

Jerry O'Dell Butler (born October 12, 1957 in Ware Shoals, South Carolina) is a former professional American football wide receiver in the National Football League. He played his entire career with the Buffalo Bills (19791986). Butler was a Pro Bowl selection in 1980. In his career, he caught 278 receptions for 4,301 yards and 29 touchdowns. On September 23, 1979, Butler had 255 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns in a win over the New York Jets. Butler has had various coaching positions in the NFL, and now serves as Director of Player Development for the Cleveland Browns.[1]

Fred Jackson

Aaron Schobel

Jerry Hughes (give him a little time)

Flutie (might end the Flutie curse)

Really though we need to find some more guys who are famous for noteworthy for things done after they leave the Bills. We have 3 now. Prez candidate Jack Kemp, an RB to be named later so an not to piss off Gug, and the dude that got killed in Viet Nam (can't remember his name (sad)).

I'm not sure who that current guy is, but we need to find him.

Most teams don't have any, but we have 3 (so far).

Edited by reddogblitz

Even though the Bills have basically been inept as a team/organization the last 16 years or so... there have been a handful of laudable individual performances/careers over that time span that deserve to be memorialized on the Wall of Fame at the Ralph. Now that we've pretty much exhausted the Super Bowl era choices... it's time to pick from a new batch.

Here's my list

2000's ERA

• Brian Moorman - fan favorite, class act, and arguably the best player on the team during the lost decade. Putting a punter up there would be a very cool.. very Buffalo thing to do
2010s ERA

• Fred Jackson - another fan favorite, class act and the heart and soul of the offense for the last 5 years or so.

• Kyle Williams - team captain, locker room leader, class act and arguably the best defensive player since Bruce Smith

Who do you think deserves to go up on the Wall from either current or recent players?

I agree with your choices....

Mario's career is worthy but not fully in Buffalo so not sure how that will work. Dareus has the talent to get there but he will need to stay and continue to produce.

Eric Moulds is a long shot as another name..