Source: Bills interested in former Bears C Roberto Garza

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the veterans minimum he'd be a great guy in the film room to mentor the Bills young talent, and they have a lot of young talent. He'd also be a stop gap in case if a Woods injury that knows Kromers calls like the back of his hand. He's also a tough SOB which plays into the bully role.

Our success on OL will depend on the growth of 3-4 very young players, and having someone like Garza in the room and on the sidlines can only be a good thing.

@jchenelly: #Bills reached out to Roberto Garza's agent to inquire about the center's career plans after he was informed he'd be released by the #Bears.

If Roberto Garza is the answer, what was the question? 36 years old, released because he's a liability in pass protection - unless they're contacting him as an assistant OL coach or something I doan get it.

Course there's still the question who the heck is Joe Chenelly and why should he be regarded as a credible source

If Roberto Garza is the answer, what was the question? 36 years old, released because he's a liability in pass protection - unless they're contacting him as an assistant OL coach or something I doan get it.

Course there's still the question who the heck is Joe Chenelly and why should he be regarded as a credible source

answer to what?

I was just about to post a thread about Garza. I thought the Bills probably should take a good look at him. I guess they took my advice. I just hope he doesnt cost much

:lol:

Fair enough, can you run us through why you thought the Bills should look at him?

answer to what?

That's what I'm asking. If Garza is the answer, what was the question? What need are we trying to fill?

Fair enough, can you run us through why you thought the Bills should look at him?

That's what I'm asking. If Garza is the answer, what was the question? What need are we trying to fill?

i think he would be cheap OL depth who is familiar with Kromer's scheme. Sounds like he's be a great mentor. Kyle Long went on and on about his influence. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes but not 36 year olds who can't play anymore.

I see kromer seems to be debating that point, while you've finalized the answer. How much did you watch and what did you see?!?

I have not keyed in on garza or even reviews of his performance the last few years. Have you gone past just an initial cliff notes? If so, tell some more, share some insights and links

A possibility I didn't see mentioned: maybe it was a simple call to say "hey we don't have a need now but if we get an injury and you are planning on staying in game shape you would be my first call- what do you think?"

Depth. we NEED depth.

Yes, but typically your depth is young guys who are not quite ready for primetime and you want to give them time to develop, not 36 yr olds who were cut (I have heard, I have not seen him play) because they are liabilities on the field? If you want the guy because he's "all that and a bag of chips" as a mentor, why not bring him in as an assistant coach?

Edited by Hopeful

Yes, but typically your depth is young guys who are not quite ready for primetime and you want to give them time to develop, not 36 yr olds who were cut (I have heard, I have not seen him play) because they are liabilities on the field? If you want the guy because he's "all that and a bag of chips" as a mentor, why not bring him in as an assistant coach?

Who would know better if he is a liability or an asset? His coach from last year.

I see kromer seems to be debating that point, while you've finalized the answer. How much did you watch and what did you see?!?

I have not keyed in on garza or even reviews of his performance the last few years. Have you gone past just an initial cliff notes? If so, tell some more, share some insights and links

Give me your address and I'll send you the game tapes I been watching. Will that be good enough for you?

Who would know better if he is a liability or an asset? His coach from last year.

Mmmm.

There's a common phenomenon called "I know the guy" syndrome. It has hindered teams in the past, including the Bills. Example: When George Edwards was DC, he brought in a bunch of D players (LB) who were guys he knew from Miami. When Chan coached the Sr bowl, we drafted a lot of kids who participated that year.

It typically, IMO, highlights a deficiency in talent evaluation (pro talent scouting, typically) and/or a lack of faith in the scouts, which leads to the perception that the best acquisition is a guy that's a known quantity to the coach, rather than (say) looking at the top 3 or 4 guys at that position who emerge from a league-wide talent assessment.

I thought we were past that at OBD. But I do have a "?" pencilled in next to "OL scouting" in my OBD evaluation.

You just can't build a team full of top talent that way.