Interesting combinations and formations for the offense

How about this?

6 OL plus Clay, with Felton and Shady in the backfield--'22' or "Tank" personnel--Sammy lines up as the only wideout.

If the D lines up in a heavy set, the QB goes to his kill call: Clay flexes out and Shady swings to Sammy's side of the formation, snap goes on a quick-count.

You're basically set up with a 7-man protection scheme, and Sammy/Clay/Shady in 1-on-1, with at least one of them on a safety.

Nice.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this?

6 OL plus Clay, with Felton and Shady in the backfield--'22' or "Tank" personnel--Sammy lines up as the only wideout.

If the D lines up in a heavy set, the QB goes to his kill call: Clay flexes out and Shady swings to Sammy's side of the formation, snap goes on a quick-count.

You're basically set up with a 7-man protection scheme, and Sammy/Clay/Shady in 1-on-1, with at least one of them on a safety.

I like that a lot, too. This is the reason that Clay is so valuable and worth overpaying.

Sammy Woods Clay and Harvin in a two by two set. Shady and QB in the gun.

I love this because Clay gives us an extra blocker it receiver threat. You can use either Harvin or Sammy in motion creating a trips.

Put the defense on islands, get our guys 1 on 1 match ups, and the QB can take the one that he likes best.

If you use these five in a no-huddle series that can successfully execute various formations with no penalties... it would be tough for any defense to keep up with the an offense that changes from a 5 receiver set to a power rushing set with no need substitutions.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

If you use these five in a no-huddle series that can successfully execute various formations with no penalties... it would be tough for any defense to keep up with the an offense that changes from a 5 receiver set to a power rushing set with no need substitutions.

the only thing that is tough is id say its a traditional running set with that group - add another 2 way tight end and i think we get to power running

the only thing that is tough is id say its a traditional running set with that group - add another 2 way tight end and i think we get to power running

I think that's what Clay is supposed to be for, since he has acted as a FB before. If we need another blocker, maybe I'm crazy but Im crazy but I think I remember Woods being tasked with blocking Clay Matthews. That's a pretty strong vote of confidence.

Now if only we could mess with their eligibility from play to play...

This will be the first time Sammy will be healthy enough to be called on for some end arounds or reverses. We already know Percy knows how to do it but its a whole new dimension of Sammy's game that we've only seen in his Clemson days. He's a serious threat in that regard.

I love to imagine the Roman goal line set, Clay on the line, Hogan in the slot, Felton and Freddy in the I formation and Sammy/Woods split wide.

The ultimate play for the audible depending on what the coverage gives you. If they load the box then we play action and Felton/Freddy protect, Clay releases and Hogan Sammy Woods make four possible targets. Percy might win the slot job in goal to go sets but its nice to have the tall white wonder in there when things get crowded.

If they show pass coverage we pound it up and in. I suppose Shady could be the back in this package instead of Freddy but I still don't think Rex completely gets what a phenomenal short yardage guy FJax really is.

Shady is more of a hole finder and 22 is more of a hole maker. Ive never seen a back do more with less than he does.

This, from 3 days ago and taken at face value, seems to suggest Rex gets it.

Now, is this Rex keeping his options open? Are they actually going to cut Fred? Who knows?

Also, great thread Kelly! TBD's Feature #1 in full effect!

Or simply put Felton in there.

Then you aren't going 5 wide with the same group

I think that's what Clay is supposed to be for, since he has acted as a FB before. If we need another blocker, maybe I'm crazy but Im crazy but I think I remember Woods being tasked with blocking Clay Matthews. That's a pretty strong vote of confidence.

He can crash down on a guy- I was just not picking a little at the phrase power run- I was think FB and TE or 2 te.... A 3 wide set is a pretty base run package.

No big deal, but in the early April random package discussion that extra TE could be a nice addition still

There could also be a package put together, let's call the speed package, that has Tyrod Taylor at QB, with Shady (or even Fred to get him some touches, and then Watkins, Harvin, Goodwin and Woods. 4 wide. 1 back and a running QB. Spread 2 WR wide to either side, or use motion to confuse the defense, and then run read option or roll out throws.

Also, don't forget that all 3 QBs are decent to excellent runners. With all these weapons running around in their D backfield, teams are bound to be a little distracted, leaving the designed QB draw open.

God help them if they are in man, and all 4 WRs/RBs who went in motion and are now WRs/TEs are all 20 yards down the field, leaving the QB with the width of the field, and only, maybe, the middle LB to beat. Or worse, some exotic D set/blitz where one of their D lineman drops into coverage? All our QB has to do is run his way, and it's an impromptu screen play.

And, I hate to say it, but that could also mean Wildcat baby!... :lol: Just give it second: so far in this thread, we have been talking about who/who not to put on the field/having too many weapons.

What if situationally, the best 6 offensive players we can field, don't include the QB?

If I'm not mistaken, Harvin can throw. So can Freddy. This is fun.

Modified Wildcat

Split Woods all the way to the sideline on the wide part of the field and have him run a 9 route

Put Harvin / Shady in the shotgun, with Felton in a pistol/fullback position

Put Sammy in the slot with Clay on the line

Run zone read with Percy taking the snap, Shady as the mesh point option and Sammy running as the pitch man on the option.

Who needs a QB?

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Modified Wildcat

Split Woods all the way to the sideline on the wide part of the field and have him run a 9 route

Put Harvin / Shady in the shotgun, with Felton in a pistol/fullback position

Put Sammy in the slot with Clay on the line

Run zone read with Percy taking the snap, Shady as the mesh point option and Sammy running as the pitch man on the option.

Who needs a QB?

I think that would be a flag. Illegal formation.

Edited by Rockinon

In all honest....I got nervous when I hard the talk of "bully" and "ground and pound"

Teams that are one dimensional ended up getting their cake eaten by the GOOD teams

But

it appears that Pegula has spent his money well in the coaching area because this team is NOT one dimensional........

The offense will do their thing....they have shown both under Pettine AND Schwartz that they can play multiple....not even worried about that area

on offense

If we want to run the ball we have one of the best FBs in the league leading the way.....a top 5 running back carrying the rock......a TE that can actually block

if teams load up on our run

We can take advantage of that missmatch by spreading them out with guys that can all score form anywhere on the field......Watkins....Woods....Clay....Shady...Harvin

I just to see defenses dictating to US this year......we might have QBs that cant make all the plays (or maybe they can) but it wont be because we cant match up to whatever a defense is throwing at us.

Ground and Pound isnt working in the 1st half?

NO PROBLEM

Come out in 5 wide and have the weapons to do that

The only thing we dont have right now at least that is not proven is the QB and OL.......one will be addressed in the draft.

Goodwin Sammy Punter Woods Harvin

That's your offensive line!

Put the linemen at the wr spots and the kicker as the qb.

They wouldnt know what the hell is happening. Td after td after td.

Or how about punt block formation on 1st down OFFENSE. 10 guys on the line, one qb, and all of them performing the ickey shuffle.

The dance would have the other team in trance.

Td after td after td

I really like a spread formation too. When you have blockers like Felton(his locker is right next to Shady's) and Clay, you can still run with power. Just imagine spreading out the defense like Gailey used to do but now you have a FB and a move TE that can crash into the defensive line and open holes. The beauty of the run game is that formations and movement can be used to distract a defense. Clay can chip his guy and slip out on QB keepers as well.

Roman had a top 10 offense in 4 consecutive years as an OC in SF. He can design some kick ass run plays. If Keap was more consistent throwing, that team might have been as unstoppable as NE.