Ex-UCONN/NBA Donyel Marshall joins UB as asst coach.

I agree, but as you know, we are talking about the NCAA. It's really not about competition, it's about resources.

And media markets. That is the only reason Rutgers got in.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand JR, my post was more about being a fan of a mid major program. Rare the really good coach who stays. Just have to accept as part of the equation is all I was saying.

Absolutely. I agree with this. I think everyone knew Shaka wouldn't stay either forever, though VCU did a great job keeping him as long as he did.

I guess I would feel better about Hurley leaving if I felt it was a legitimate upgrade for him.

I suspect the clock is ticking on him as well. The grass will always be greener elsewhere...

I've heard White is quite Machiavellian and I'm sure he will be moving to greener pastures soon.

I've heard White is quite Machiavellian and I'm sure he will be moving to greener pastures soon.

Whatever, he's very good at his job. e could be the next to go. You can only take dealing with SUNY on athletics for so long. Right or wrong, SUNY just doesn't care about athletics.

Yeah, he's a clown for taking more than twice as much money, moving to a tax friendly state, and at a school with a better climate where it will be MUCH easier to recruit. Do you people hear yourselves?

You ought to be thanking the guy for taking what was a joke of a program to an NCAA tournament bid. When Hurley was hired here, he was going to be leaving. You can try to pretend otherwise but you're just lying to yourself

Hate to break it to you but AZ is NOT tax-friendly. I live in a tax-friendly state! (NH) My wife was looking at a position in Prescott. You are paying sales tax, state income tax, and double the property taxes we pay in NH, a state that has to have high property taxes because they don't have sales or income taxes.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Whatever, he's very good at his job. e could be the next to go. You can only take dealing with SUNY on athletics for so long. Right or wrong, SUNY just doesn't care about athletics.

Hate to break it to you but AZ is NOT tax-friendly. I live in a tax-friendly state! (NH) My wife was looking at a position in Prescott. You are paying sales tax, state income tax, and double the property taxes we pay in NH, a state that has to have high property taxes because they don't have sales or income taxes.

According to this...AZ is the 6th most 'tax friendly' state.

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/taxes/T054-S001-10-most-tax-friendly-states-in-the-u-s/index.html

All I know is my tax bill would have been more than triple what it is in NH if we moved there.

One more thing to keep in mind down the road...

Everyone talks about Hurley replacing Coach K at Duke one day. We'll the AD at Duke is Danny White's dad. If that Bucky Gleason tweet about Hurley being insulted came from him then good luck.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

All I know is my tax bill would have been more than triple what it is in NH if we moved there.

One more thing to keep in mind down the road...

Everyone talks about Hurley replacing Coach K at Duke one day. We'll the AD at Duke is Danny White's dad. If that Bucky Gleason tweet about Hurley being insulted came from him then good luck.

there will endless competition for the Duke job when it finally opens. If Chris Collins can make any headway at Northwestern,he would be a prime candidate considering his years of recruiting as an assistant at Duke and now at another highly selective academic institution. Edited by YoloinOhio

Bucky Gleason tweet about Hurley being insulted

Frankly, I'm insulted that Bucky is employed, let alone tweeting...

Hurley can say whatever he wants. But the fact he kept looking at any and all offers, even after saying his heart was in Buffalo, comes off as a complete sham...

Hurley can say whatever he wants. But the fact he kept looking at any and all offers, even after saying his heart was in Buffalo, comes off as a complete sham...

Gleason wrote about signing an extension before the team left for the tournament, as if that would have made any difference whatsoever. With or without an extension, Hurley wasn't going to be UB's coach next year.

Yeah, he's a clown for taking more than twice as much money, moving to a tax friendly state, and at a school with a better climate where it will be MUCH easier to recruit. Do you people hear yourselves?

You ought to be thanking the guy for taking what was a joke of a program to an NCAA tournament bid. When Hurley was hired here, he was going to be leaving. You can try to pretend otherwise but you're just lying to yourself

Arizona summers are awful. ;)

I totally agree. So sick of his whiny, "I don't like the way it was handled" nonsense ... today's article is loaded with speculative garbage and spin.
So Bucky's point is, Hurley would have spurned ASU's quintuple-plus raise out of loyalty to UB if White had kissed his ass more? Got it. And Tim Murray is wrong for not trying to win every game at all costs. And pro-tankers are losers. Oh, and Darcy Regier previously mis-managed the Sabres' fall to the bottom. Huh?
White (and the world) knew that with success, it was a not a matter of if but when Hurley would be leaving for greener pastures. Par for the course in college athletics, and life in general. Danny Boy had already orchestrated an alumni shakedown that guaranteed Hurley a more than 100% raise to the top of the list of MAC basketball coach salaries. But we all realize UB can't pretend to pay what Depaul or ASU can pay.
And isn't White is the guy who bet on Hurley as a HC in the first place? But Bucky claims in hindsight that beefing up UB's insulting & lowball offer by say 50k before the dance would have kept Hurley here even with a job offer like the one he got from ASU. Gotcha.
And from what UB sports media have candidly reported, Bucky is barely even connected to UB people and has only taken interest in recent months. Remember how mad the Buffalo News was in the way White jettisoned Reggie Witherspoon? Whose basketball program was all but ignored in print?

I don't know if any of you subscribe, but if you do, just cancel and let them know he is the reason. That is what I did after the loser column.

If not, please do not click on any of his, Sullivan's, or Harrington's columns/articles. We can drive these chuckleheads out of town, but not if everyone keeps reading him in the vein of " Howrad Stern is a jerk , here is what he said today when I was listening"

Edited by plenzmd1

UB didn't want to pay the guy as much as other people did. It's as simple as that. I don't blame him for taking more money, as you can tell that UB isn't committed to a winning program.

is it that they don't want to pay as much, or they can't? Honest question... SUNY school and $

UB COULDN'T pay the guy as much as other people did. It's as simple as that. I don't blame him for taking more money.

Fixed. Also don't comment on UB's commitment if you don't know anything about the program or what they have to deal with.

this guy was coaching high school basketball two years ago. yikes.

And Hurley had no head coaching experience at all. This is a continuity move. Something to put the players at ease.