Best RB in Buffalo Bills history?

TheJuice

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Brown was probably the best RB of all time and OJ was probably second. Like others have stated, however great Thurman was, he is never in that conversation. With everyone knowing he was getting the ball, the Bills throwing about 10 passes a game, OJ averaged 6.2 YPC in 73. He caught 6 passes the entire year. He had IIRC 462 yards against one team, the Patriots that year (250 and 212?). You had to stop him, you knew he would get the ball, and you couldn't stop him. He was one of the best college players ever and one of the best pro players ever. His size and speed were ridiculous.

OJ was clearly better than Thurman as a RB although Thurman was great. And the reason it took him a couple years was because John Rauch didn't know how to use him, and was an idiot, and less because he needed the Electric Company.

Spot on. Didn't he play under both John Rauch and Harvey Johnson his first few years? Bad coaching and bad teams (there is a reason the Bills had the 1st overall pick when they selected Simpson). I don't know as if Jim Brown could have excelled on those teams. Lou Saban, coming back in 72, had as much to do with Simpson reaching his potential as anything else. Coaching does make a difference.

Spot on. Didn't he play under both John Rauch and Harvey Johnson his first few years? Bad coaching and bad teams (there is a reason the Bills had the 1st overall pick when they selected Simpson). I don't know as if Jim Brown could have excelled on those teams. Lou Saban, coming back in 72, had as much to do with Simpson reaching his potential as anything else. Coaching does make a difference.

Harvey Johnson 1971 1-13..Saban came in and drafted Linemen and a blocking TE in Paul Seymour. Thurman was great but no where near the player OJ was.

Best runner- OJ. Speed and juking ability second to none.

Best All-around- Thurman. Great vision. Played with chip on shoulder. My favorite all-time player btw.

Best receiver- Larry Centers. Here briefly during the Greg Williams era but he was awesome at catching passes out of the backfield.

I think this question is tougher than people are making it out to be. If you're talking simply the best pure running back and leaving everything else out, I don't know how you would have anyone in the same ballpark with OJ. He was that good running the football, even when opposing teams knew he was getting the ball. That said, he wasn't that good of a blocker in pass protection and he wasn't great catching passes. If I had to pick an all-purpose running back, I would take Thurman Thomas all day. He could do it all. After these two, you can kind of throw a lot of other guys at that next tier. Joe Cribbs, Travis Henry, Marshawn Lynch, and Freddy.

OJ is basically Demarco Murray? If you truly believe that I don't even know where to start...

And Thurman had some great Oline's to run behind, they were just overshadowed by a lot of HOF talent at the skill positions. Thurman had HOF WRs, and a HOF QB who could throw the rock with the best of them. OJ had good players around him, but make no mistake, he WAS the offense, and THE focus of every defense the Bills faced. Injuries caught up to him at the end. Thurman wasn't balling out of control at the end either. Age and injuries do that to most players, it's just especially noticeable at the skill positions. This is no knock on Thurman, who was dynamite, a great football player, but the Juice is one of the most dynamic talents in football history, and arguably the best at his position. A combination of Barry Sanders elusiveness with Eric Dickerson size.

DeMarco Murray... :rolleyes:

Im only 30 with a basketball background. Meaning... i have only been a football fan since the end of TT. BUT through highlight of Thurman i saw some of the most amazing line play i have ever seen. The size speed pulling capability and hole creation of TT lines were remarkable. Anyone who says he didnt have a line... well. I just dont know

I remember watching Thurman Thomas make a many defender miss/whiff on a tackle with his elusiveness. Although I'd vote OJ Simpson, Thurman could have been or was as much an offensive weapon as OJ. Also OJ ran behind a great offensive line as well, the Electric Company. I don't believe Thurman's line had such a moniker.

Also OJ ran behind a great offensive line as well, the Electric Company. I don't believe Thurman's line had such a moniker.

The power of marketing. O.J. coined the term and it stuck. But man for man, the lines TT ran behind were superior to the Electric Company.

Joe D was great, Reggie was above average but the other guys were just good, not great.

Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, John Davis/GlennParker and Howard Ballard were one hell of a line...

The power of marketing. O.J. coined the term and it stuck. But man for man, the lines TT ran behind were superior to the Electric Company.

Joe D was great, Reggie was above average but the other guys were just good, not great.

Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, John Davis/GlennParker and Howard Ballard were one hell of a line...

Yeah, I definitely think the K Gun line was easily superior to the Electric Company line as far as all five spots. Hull was tremendous. Both tackles were very good. The guards were solid.