EJ Manuel throwing Bullets

HOUSE

Hopefully it doesn't come to this but, if Manuel doesn't show anything this year either will it be time to admit a mistake and move on, or will we be hearing this time next year how it wasn't really year 3 for him because of not playing enough the first two years, or Marrone/Hackett stunted his growth as a QB, and other reasons? I just get the feeling it will be the latter from a lot of people here.

By season's end it will be a clear decision. Greg Roman was able to get successful QB play out of both Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. So if EJ does not show any significant improvement and just remains stuck in the same low gear then there will be no other option than to move on. I have a feeling that QB options will be much better next year than they were this year.

Now having said all that...the funny thing about NFL football is that he could play average to badly for the first 12 games of the 2015 season, but if that "light switch" all of a sudden goes on and he dominates the last four games (maybe Cassel's hurt and Taylor is worse), then almost everyone forgets those first 12 games and they're excited the Bills finally found their franchise QB.

That's not what happened in reality.

#idiot...

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Doug-Marrone/a6a6db00-99e9-441a-bcc6-28af250cc401

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when you stop your crusade against him, maybe I'll consider "growing up a little".

And you're wrong about the haters. There are plenty of them here, some right in this very thread.

I've been outspoken about my desire to replace EJ. I'm in the "haters" camp..... But the thing is, I love everything about EJ. Just don't think he's a gamer.

Very few of us "haters" hate EJ. Most of us wish the production matched EVERYTHING else about the kid.

I've been outspoken about my desire to replace EJ. I'm in the "haters" camp..... But the thing is, I love everything about EJ. Just don't think he's a gamer.

Very few of us "haters" hate EJ. Most of us wish the production matched EVERYTHING else about the kid.

So if you were Doug Whaley you would have cut EJ?

If you "haters" are right then you only have 10 or 11 months to go to get your wish. That's really not a long time.

The lovers have a Jesusesque position. If you're not with them you're against them.

I don't think he's a bust yet, but he was exactly as advertised. He shouldn't have seen the field till this year.

So if you were Doug Whaley you would have cut EJ?

If you "haters" are right then you only have 10 or 11 months to go to get your wish. That's really not a long time.

no I would not cut EJ. This is a wild assumption about my view. I don't appreciate you lumping anyone's opposing view into a "haters" category. That's what my point really is. Edited by JaxBills

you are at twobillsdrive. Unfortunately you have little choice when it comes to being lumped into a specific category.

I don't think he's a bust yet, but he was exactly as advertised. He shouldn't have seen the field till this year.
no I would not cut EJ. This is a wild assumption about my view. I don't appreciate you lumping anyone's opposing view into a "haters" category. That's what my point really is.

Doug Whaley... is one of the best young minds in football. I refuse to realize that he could have whiffed that badly on the most important position on the field.

Based on what? I hope he turns in a great GM but your declaration seems to be a lot more conjecture than fact.

I, Like many think he should be building chemistry with Sammy, Not Chris frickin' Hogan! Ooooh they got everybody scared now, LOL.

I agree w/ that. But a workout is a workout (and EJ can use all the work he can get). Maybe Sammy wasn't available at the time. But lets hope he & Sammy do get together soon & often in the coming weeks. Go Bills.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this but, if Manuel doesn't show anything this year either will it be time to admit a mistake and move on, or will we be hearing this time next year how it wasn't really year 3 for him because of not playing enough the first two years, or Marrone/Hackett stunted his growth as a QB, and other reasons? I just get the feeling it will be the latter from a lot of people here.

kind of depends on whether he shows growth, stays healthy, and more than anything whether the team is winning or not.

If he has more games like the Houston one, I don't expect he'll find a ton of defenders here.

If Rex and co actually start him and then yank him at the first sign of adversity, then he's done here whether he deserves to be or not. I think this is unlikely to be the case for a host of reasons.

I think the likely scenarios are:

1) Cassel wins the job outright, keeps it.

2) Cassel wins it, struggles, is benched for Manuel

3) Manuel plays good enough but not great, keeps job, possible playoffs.

4) Somebody gets injured. Hate to say it but you have to count it as one of the likely scenarios in the NFL and both Manuel and Cassel have had a few.

Was not ready last year, but that does not make him a bust. Hopefully he turns out, because I like him and I am tired of this QB chase which has lasted over a decade. If he can throw for 3625 yards 20 TD's and 12 INT's this year I will take it. :)

Edited by bisonbrigade

There are many right here who hate him.

That's just plain bull ****. There are dozens of Bills fans who detest him. Read their posts. It's disturbing to say the least.

How can you hate a guy who is just learning the ropes? 'Cmon - we can't all be Andrew Luck as a rookie, or even in your 2nd year. Give this guy a break! If he doesn't pan out THIS year, then OK - something went wrong. Who wouldn't want an amazing franchise QB right out of the gate. Bills fans sure do, but that ain't happening at this point in time.

There are many right here who hate him.

That's just plain bull ****. There are dozens of Bills fans who detest him. Read their posts. It's disturbing to say the least.

Couldn't agree more with your second statement nanker

The lovers have a Jesusesque position. If you're not with them you're against them.

I think you'd find that if there were a bunch of posters who were regularly and emphatically stating that EJ was definitely going to be a top QB, that those same "lovers" would be arguing against them.

After watching a top 5 rushing team go to the bottom 5 in 2 years with basically the same personal it's not a stretch to believe that Doug Marrone and company didn't retard the growth of EJ. Hell they didn't even get him a QB coach until year 2 because Hackett can do everything.

Marrone made a ton of mistakes and could have been planning his exit the moment Ralph died and they drafted Watkins which caused him to leave the room. The coach wasn't in the room when the network when to camera in the Bills Draft room.

It makes zero sense to not play EJ the last few games of the season after playoffs were missed unless you were auditioning for another job.

Rex himself said he didn't understand the benching or something.

Whatever, EJ will have his chance soon enough.